U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM

701 posts, read 994,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Yes - under /boot/grub/ there is a file called menu.lst ....

That's the config file that show all the boot sections - one of them being your Windows. Towards the top, there should be a line that reads: Default 0.

Change that 0 to match your Windows section... and you should be set.
macroy,

I'll look into that. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
... I see a lot of you like Mac, but I have always been told to not even go there because of compatability issues with lots of programs...thoughts on that??
While this may have been true years ago, as has been mentioned, you can run Windows in a Mac. Lots of folks I know do that now on a lowly MacBook. Specially if they have to use Windows-specific software.

Personally, I don't even see a need for that now (running Windows within the Mac), as most software applications are compatible.

That's also the reason I delayed purchasing a Mac. I always asked myself: "can I use this for work?". Then a couple of years ago, I just decided: "Hey, its my money, I should buy what I want for myself, not for work. If the company wants me to work on their stuff, they'd better provide me with a machine.

Best decision I ever made.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM

225 posts, read 315,343 times
As far as laptop brands go, my old Toshiba was quite good. I recently got a Dell in order to get a final XP machine. I would otherwise go for a Linux install but I need XP for work reasons. I know there is dual boot, but I'm not gonna go there just yet. A friend at work has a nice dual boot Mac with Windows. I think that has got to be the best solution.
I've used ClamWin for antivirus to the limited extent I use anything. I've had, I dunno, eight computers or so over the years and never had any kind of virus. The best way to avoid this stuff is not to use integrated environments like Office and Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and OpenOffice. When you think about how viruses and trojans work, they really can't harm you if you use the right tool for the job. Keep auto-downloading off and JavaScript to a minimum and you'll be ok. Scan new programs you download (ClamWin) and then go ahead.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM

A friend of mine who installed Windows XP on his Macbook mentioned to me that after a year and a half, his Mac OS is fine, but his Windows XP is starting to slow down?! He'd like to get rid of it, but can't because he has to use it for remote logon to his office network, which requires Windows XP AND Internet Explorer (yikes!). He's got the full MS Office installed on it too.

He's wondering whether by installing Windows on his Mac, has he made his Mac (the XP side) more vulnerable to virus/trojans/spyware than if he had not installed XP?

Ironic, isn't it?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
A friend of mine who installed Windows XP on his Macbook mentioned to me that after a year and a half, his Mac OS is fine, but his Windows XP is starting to slow down?! He'd like to get rid of it, but can't because he has to use it for remote logon to his office network, which requires Windows XP AND Internet Explorer (yikes!). He's got the full MS Office installed on it too.

He's wondering whether by installing Windows on his Mac, has he made his Mac (the XP side) more vulnerable to virus/trojans/spyware than if he had not installed XP?

Ironic, isn't it?
If all he's using the Windows XP side for is connecting via a remote logon to his office network, then the only way he could catch a virus or trojan or spyware is if he got it from his office network.

He is using his Max OS/X side for web browsing and for opening up those emails that tell him he inherited $10 million, isn't he?

Honestly, his XP slowdown could be due to Microsoft security updates or to running out of disk space on the XP partition. XP is not happy when there's less than 20% free space on disk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers