U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,402,713 times

Advertisements

My very first computer was an HP desktop that I bought in 1998 and it lasted and was a good computer up until about 2004. At that time I bought a dell desktop which is still an awesome computer! I loaded it up with the best of the best at that time and it is super fast, except i have to use dial-up with it and that is snail speed. Two years ago in 2006 I purchased a dell laptop (Inspiron 6000 customized). I havbe never been happy with it at all! It has always been slow to start up and respond. It freezes constantly and the older it gets the more problems it has. I am shopping for a new laptop, and I want one that is going to last! I have been checking out the HP's and the reviews seem great for the most part. What are your opinions on laptops? I want it to be fast and have plenty of storage for my digital photos and videos. I also want it to be fast online. BUT i don't want to spend a lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
My very first computer was an HP desktop that I bought in 1998 and it lasted and was a good computer up until about 2004. At that time I bought a dell desktop which is still an awesome computer! I loaded it up with the best of the best at that time and it is super fast, except i have to use dial-up with it and that is snail speed. Two years ago in 2006 I purchased a dell laptop (Inspiron 6000 customized). I havbe never been happy with it at all! It has always been slow to start up and respond. It freezes constantly and the older it gets the more problems it has. I am shopping for a new laptop, and I want one that is going to last! I have been checking out the HP's and the reviews seem great for the most part. What are your opinions on laptops? I want it to be fast and have plenty of storage for my digital photos and videos. I also want it to be fast online. BUT i don't want to spend a lot...
Could be a malware issue.

CCleaner
Malwarebyte's anti-malware
Spybot S&D (just update and immunize; I don't think you have to run it)
Auslogics Disk Defrag (might help to run this first)

See if that makes a difference.
What kind of Antivirus program and firewall do you have?

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 07-29-2008 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: minor edit

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 AM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Quote:
Laptop wise, I've had Dell, HP/Compaq (more than one), Gateway, and now and Acer. Next lap top I get is going to be an Mac I think. I'm ready to try something different. So far the Acer has been good but the CD/DVD tray is funky. I was least happy with Dell and I will never buy another. I might try Toshiba and Sony one of these days, though.

I'll be interested in reading the rest of the responses.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Could be a malware issue.

CCleaner
Malwarebyte's anti-malware
Spybot S&D (just update and immunize; I don't think you have to run it)
Auslogics Disk Defrag (might help to run this first)

See if that makes a difference.
What kind of Antivirus program and firewall do you have?

I have Norton Internet secuirty... I have always prefered Norton to the others. I really don't think it is anything like that since my computer has been slow from the get go. But who knows, maybe I will try it out, thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,533 times
Quote:
I have Norton Internet secuirty... I have always prefered Norton to the others. I really don't think it is anything like that since my computer has been slow from the get go. But who knows, maybe I will try it out, thanks!
There is a good chance Norton is part of the slow down. The Symantec Enterprise edition we used to run loves to randomly eat up CPU cycles while never catching anything. AVG and AntiVir work better than that crap and they're free.

I've always hated HP mostly because their customer support has been pretty dismal in my experience. Dell support rocks, but we had gold support.

Latitude, XPS, and Macbook Pro are my picks in no particular order.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,722,255 times
RTTNFAM, if you've got the sheckles go MacBook (at least $1100) or MacBook Pro (at least $2000).

If you have only $850, go Dell or HP laptop PC.

If you have less than $400, go cheap name-brand desktop PC.

If you have less than $100, put it in your pocket, get rid of Norton Antivirus, and install AVG.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Uninstall Norton first. It has something to do with it. If I had a guess to make it was installed on the laptop as a "trial" version when you bought it. "Slow from the start" I believe you said.

Dump Norton. You may have to search the Symantec site to find the application that actually removes it since using Control Panel>Add remove usually doesn't get rid of all of it.

Norton is the worst resource hog ever made.

I used to be a Norton fan. No more. Symantec ruined it.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,723,169 times
Quote:
Like others have said, get rid of Norton. It's a huge resource hog. I guarantee you will see an increase in speed and response times.

For a firewall, Zone Alarm makes a free one which works great.

For anti virus, use AVG Free.It updates automatically and is much less intrusive than Norton.

For protection against spyware, use Spyware Blaster. It runs in the background and keeps malicious software from ever getting to your machine. A weekly check for updates is all it requires.

You can also download Spybot. It will clean up any malicious software that may get through when you download software.

It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. They will still use less resources than Norton. Oh, and they are all free.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Like others have said, get rid of Norton. It's a huge resource hog. I guarantee you will see an increase in speed and response times.

For a firewall, Zone Alarm makes a free one which works great.

For anti virus, use AVG Free.It updates automatically and is much less intrusive than Norton.

For protection against spyware, use Spyware Blaster. It runs in the background and keeps malicious software from ever getting to your machine. A weekly check for updates is all it requires.

You can also download Spybot. It will clean up any malicious software that may get through when you download software.

It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. They will still use less resources than Norton. Oh, and they are all free.

Thanlks for the links everyone! I actually had Norton come installed on my computer when i bought it and had it updated through the norton website when my subscription ran out. It was never a trial set. Thanks for all the responses!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
I had a ThinkPad many years ago and liked it. I've used Dell and HP laptops and liked them. Still use a Dell Latitude D600. Have set up many ThinkPad machines, but definite do not like them since Lenovo took over.

One thing you have not said about your currect machine is memory. Most machines are sold without enough memory. A 2004 machine was probably sold with 256 or 512, but almost certainly need at least 1024 now.

Dump Norton. No use paying for anti-virus protection when AVG is out there for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers