U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM

405 posts, read 1,154,926 times

Advertisements

I would rather stick a hot needle in my eye than call any support line. But I am in the business

If you have a problem you can research it on the Dell forums. They are just like these forums, but related to only Dell computers. You will find many knowledgeable people willing to help you resolve the problem. Go to the Dell website and look for the 'forums' link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 05:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,376,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I personally own many Dell computers (laptops, desktops, LCDs, etc). I'm a fan of the direct to consumer and "relatively" good deal. I'm also savvy enough to fix most problems (besides hardware failure) on my own, so I've not had to interact with tech support.

I've heard varying opinions on Dell Tech Support, mostly it seems negative. I wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinion on Dell tech support. Did it work for you? Did it resolve your problem? Did it cause you to reconsider another computer manufacturer and pay a little more to get better support?

I'm just trying to get a broader first hand feedback since I've never used it myself.

Thanks!
I like them but one important piece of advice, call them really early in the morning otherwise you might be on hold forever.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,381,989 times
Please don't get me started...Monitor broke in one week..Could not understand 5-6 tech's. Even when I ordered the computer, they got my name and address wrong. I could go on. I finially took it to a friend and he fixed it within an hour at no cost..

I will never as long as I live purchase Dell anything. I own a Toshiba and have had very few problem's none of which involved contacting they're tech service!

DELL in my opinion...$%&$#$#^&^&()*)(*@@&#$## and they're service and warranty is $%%^&$%^$@#%^%&^$# !!!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:53 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,933,581 times
Well, personally, Dell products are not welcome in my home. Not even for my servers, which I always buy aftermarket. My closet network rack is an HP shop. This is 90% because of service/product quality, but also because I used to live in Austin, made many friends who worked for "the meat grinder", and know how poorly Dell treats what employees it hasn't outsourced to Mumbai yet. I try to not support bad corporate citizens.

However, when I consult, I frequently come across companies that insist upon them because of cost considerations. Sometimes I successfully argue the "you get what you pay for" angle, sometimes not. But I always insist that they at least spend the extra money for the "gold" support - which is basically just a tax Dell levies against people who don't want to be routed through 4 layers of an Indian call center before finally getting ahold of proper tier 2 support stateside that has a flipping clue how to even turn a computer on - supposing they don't get disconnected somewhere in those first 4 call transfers to other sections of said Indian call center.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,673,050 times
I've only had one Dell, it's an Inspiron 531, and I haven't had any problems with.... in fact, I like it a lot. My only issue has been with the speakers they packaged with it which do not work (see my other post). I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of calling the support group, but if I do, I'll call early. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,665,693 times
No issues here, but all I've dealt with is on the small business side ...

Color laser printer (5100cn) - main board issue. Read off the error codes ... they initiated a service call. Tech was onsite the next morning.

Computer memory issue (C521). Tech arrived next afternoon with a new motherboard and memory.

Laptop hard drive crash (1720). New one with the O/S reinstalled already overnighted. They actually asked whether they needed to send a tech, even, but considering it's just two screws, I declined. Computer was running again 2 minutes after taking it out of the box.

LCD developed a line 2 years, 11 months in on a 3 year warranty. Brand new monitor (of higher specification) overnighted.

It's not that we're a huge customer either ... the most we've ever ordered at one time was 3 computers ... and we're on a 5-7 year cycle. But on the most part, service has been fine. The only one that had any warranty above and beyond the standard was the laptop. Granted, when an issue did arise, it was because I ran through the diagnostics already, so my responses are very straightforward, and at least for the folks I had to talk (or chat) to, they understood that I knew what I was talking about. In every case, a resolution took less than 15 minutes (minus the phone hold times, hence why I rather contact support via chat instead. Not to mention it's all in writing, so no he-said-she-said.)

I can say that tech support is not the same on the home side ... and it's not just Dell. HP/Compaq support is poorer on their home side (vs. business) too.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:17 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
The trick with Dell is use Dell Business and NOT Dell Home. Dell's customer service for Dell Business is always prompt.

I called them a few times and they always has the guy show up next day with parts.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
While I have about 8 Dell's I've had very few needs to call for service. The calls I have placed have been handled without much hassle, and parts shipped in a timely manner.

Most of the times I have called has been for laptop keyboards or AC power packs. I've got several servers that have been running 24x7 some about to start their 8th year in service, without any failures in all that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or