U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM

483 posts, read 1,360,559 times

Advertisements

I have digital videos stored on my computer and can not seem to get them on a DVD. I bought what the salesperson told me to, which was DVD-R. My computer will not even recognize the disc at all. My laptop has never experienced this problem with my recordable cd's. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,412 posts, read 32,211,225 times
Are you saying that the same computer won't recognize discs you've burned on that computer or that a different computer won't recognize them? If the laptop you mentioned is a different computer, are you sure that it has a DVD drive and not just a CD drive?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:21 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,493,060 times
Yeah, first off, do you have a DVD burner on your computer? It doesn't sound like it, if the computer doesn't even recognize the disc when you put it in. You can look into an external DVD burner (if it's a laptop) or an internal DVD burner for a desktop, which is pretty easy to install. It's also possible that if you have a burner, its drivers are improperly installed. Go to Device Manager (through Control Panel) and take a look at what it says under DVD/CDRom drives. Your drive should show up as a DVDRW if it is a DVD burner.

If you do have a burner, is it compatible with DVD-R discs? There are also DVD+R discs and DVD-RW discs. If you want to burn DVDs that you can pop into a DVD player you want to use DVD-R or DVD+R. You can also use DVD-RW for this, but some dvd players may not play them, and they're more expensive. DVD-RWs are good for TV shows or other movies you're going to watch once or twice, but don't necessarily want to keep forever.

If you have a DVD burner you can store the video files on a DVD 'data disc,' which will allow you to back them up, but they won't be playable on most DVD players. You can use a normal DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW for a data disc in the same way you would back up files to a CD. To make the movies playable on a DVD player you must convert them to DVD format, which takes a little time, and greatly expands their size (a 700 mb movie will end up as a 4.2 gigabyte DVD. There are a number of commercial and freeware programs out there to do this. If your computer has a DVD burner it probably has built-in software that does this already. There are other programs out there that will allow you to compress files so you can squeeze more onto a disc, but in my experience this reduces not only the picture quality, but also can cause some playback problems. For some movies I've found it easier to hook up the video and sound outputs from my laptop to our television, which is a lot quicker than burning a disc we're only going to watch a couple times.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Yeah, first off, do you have a DVD burner on your computer? It doesn't sound like it, if the computer doesn't even recognize the disc when you put it in. You can look into an external DVD burner (if it's a laptop) or an internal DVD burner for a desktop, which is pretty easy to install. It's also possible that if you have a burner, its drivers are improperly installed. Go to Device Manager (through Control Panel) and take a look at what it says under DVD/CDRom drives. Your drive should show up as a DVDRW if it is a DVD burner.

If you do have a burner, is it compatible with DVD-R discs? There are also DVD+R discs and DVD-RW discs. If you want to burn DVDs that you can pop into a DVD player you want to use DVD-R or DVD+R. You can also use DVD-RW for this, but some dvd players may not play them, and they're more expensive. DVD-RWs are good for TV shows or other movies you're going to watch once or twice, but don't necessarily want to keep forever.

If you have a DVD burner you can store the video files on a DVD 'data disc,' which will allow you to back them up, but they won't be playable on most DVD players. You can use a normal DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW for a data disc in the same way you would back up files to a CD. To make the movies playable on a DVD player you must convert them to DVD format, which takes a little time, and greatly expands their size (a 700 mb movie will end up as a 4.2 gigabyte DVD. There are a number of commercial and freeware programs out there to do this. If your computer has a DVD burner it probably has built-in software that does this already. There are other programs out there that will allow you to compress files so you can squeeze more onto a disc, but in my experience this reduces not only the picture quality, but also can cause some playback problems. For some movies I've found it easier to hook up the video and sound outputs from my laptop to our television, which is a lot quicker than burning a disc we're only going to watch a couple times.

OK, yes obviously my computer has a DVD burner, or I wouldn't be trying to burn DVD's. The software that is on my computer is Sonic. I really don't want to go buy another $13 set od Dvd's just to test them out. Is there any place online that I can send my video's and they will have them converted for me? This is getting to be way too much trouble lol!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
OK, yes obviously my computer has a DVD burner, or I wouldn't be trying to burn DVD's. The software that is on my computer is Sonic. I really don't want to go buy another $13 set od Dvd's just to test them out. Is there any place online that I can send my video's and they will have them converted for me? This is getting to be way too much trouble lol!
Sorry, but it wasn't that obvious to me. A friend of mine was excited to get a new work computer with a "combo DVD/CD Burner drive" that was in actuality a CD burner that could read, but not burn, DVDs, so it wouldn't be unthinkable for you to have made that assumption by mistake. If your drive is working properly it should, at the very least, recognize the blank DVD, although it might not be able to burn to that format. Not only that, it should recognize any disc you place in it, and tell you what kind of disc to use if it's not the right one.

Before you give up on ever using the DVD burner you paid for, give it one more shot. Fire up your DVD-burning software, pick out the videos you want to burn, and convert them to DVD files. When you are ready to burn to disc, stick in one of your DVD-Rs. The program should at least tell you if that's not the correct format. If it doesn't, I would think there is something wrong with the burner or the drivers for it.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,412 posts, read 32,211,225 times
Quote:
Is there any place online that I can send my video's and they will have them converted for me? This is getting to be way too much trouble lol!
Your local Wal-Mart photo lab can do it, and probably cheaper than some online place.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Your local Wal-Mart photo lab can do it, and probably cheaper than some online place.
Actually my local Wal-Mart photo labs do not have the capability to convert digital videos to DVD at this time...any other places you might suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Sorry, but it wasn't that obvious to me. A friend of mine was excited to get a new work computer with a "combo DVD/CD Burner drive" that was in actuality a CD burner that could read, but not burn, DVDs, so it wouldn't be unthinkable for you to have made that assumption by mistake. If your drive is working properly it should, at the very least, recognize the blank DVD, although it might not be able to burn to that format. Not only that, it should recognize any disc you place in it, and tell you what kind of disc to use if it's not the right one.

Before you give up on ever using the DVD burner you paid for, give it one more shot. Fire up your DVD-burning software, pick out the videos you want to burn, and convert them to DVD files. When you are ready to burn to disc, stick in one of your DVD-Rs. The program should at least tell you if that's not the correct format. If it doesn't, I would think there is something wrong with the burner or the drivers for it.

I did not mean to sound rude, I realize that computers are complex and that even the most savy of users can think their computer is equiped with something that it isn't. I have now been told that my computer will not recognize the DVD+R and that I will have to have the DVD-R, I hope that works.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM

Good Luck. It might make sense for you to get a DVD RW disc or two to play with as you're getting the hang of burning DVDs, since they are rewritable. You might have to play around with your software a little bit to find out the best settings for playback, aspect ratio, etc. A lot of software allows you to compress the video files so you can fit more onto one disc. I'd avoid that to start out with, since I have found that using that function can not only result in lower-quality DVDs, it can also make the DVD less stable and more likely to have errors. And also keep in mind that converting them uses a lot of CPU, so you might try to avoid doing it when you're using the computer for other things.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

10,268 posts, read 10,379,895 times
Quote:
Actually my local Wal-Mart photo labs do not have the capability to convert digital videos to DVD at this time...any other places you might suggest?

I did not mean to sound rude, I realize that computers are complex and that even the most savy of users can think their computer is equiped with something that it isn't. I have now been told that my computer will not recognize the DVD+R and that I will have to have the DVD-R, I hope that works.

I've seen that happen once before. Changing to DVD-R disks did indeen solve the problem. It is my understanding that the -R disks are the most likely to work in older DVD players, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers