Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

It's hard to remember the last time I bought a desktop computer. Sometime back in the stone age, I suppose, when vendors still bundled the machines with CRT screens.

Curtains for Desktops? If Not Now, When? - Â* MSN Tech & Gadgets - News and Features
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I heard on the radio that 90+% (I forgot what the exact figure was) of computer buyers are getting laptops. Yep, just a matter of time.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
There's no way 90% of people are buying laptops.

Laptops will replace desktops when they're as powerful, as powerful per dollar, and as upgradable as desktops. They've been predicting the death of desktops for years but it hasn't happened. I have both and there's no way a laptop could replace my desktop.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
I can see curtains for Windows but why would you need curtains on your Desktop...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Just as there are desktops for various purposes, the same goes for laptops.

If you want a superlight and super portable laptop to go everywhere, it's not going to have as much room as a laptop built to just sit on a desk. When I was looking for a laptop, I realized that I wanted a powerful laptop and didn't care about the size or weight.

However, as technology gets smaller and smaller, laptops will eventually replace desktops for the majority.

And if laptops weren't upgradable, how could makers like Dell be able to offer low and high end parts for the same shell? The reason is because laptops are VERY upgradable. But unless you know what you're doing, it would probably be better to have your local Geek Squad install that new motherboard for your laptop.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

If you want a superlight and super portable laptop to go everywhere, it's not going to have as much room as a laptop built to just sit on a desk. When I was looking for a laptop, I realized that I wanted a powerful laptop and didn't care about the size or weight.

However, as technology gets smaller and smaller, laptops will eventually replace desktops for the majority.

And if laptops weren't upgradable, how could makers like Dell be able to offer low and high end parts for the same shell? The reason is because laptops are VERY upgradable. But unless you know what you're doing, it would probably be better to have your local Geek Squad install that new motherboard for your laptop.
The same technology that lets laptops gets smaller also keeps desktops ahead of them. Laptop hard drives are getting bigger all the time. They're up to 320GB now. But you can get a 1TB (and faster too) hard drive for a desktop for about the same cost.

And how do you consider laptops upgradable? Tell me, how to you replace the soldered-on video in a laptop? Or add 5 internal USB ports? Or replace the DVD-RW with an off the shelf blue ray burner? And you're not going to upgrade the motherboard on a laptop. IF you could get the part (unlikely) you could replace a bad board, but you're never going to take a Pentium 4 based laptop and upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo based system.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

For the most part laptops are not upgradeable, sure you can add RAM, a larger hard drive, but on most you cannot upgrade the graphics or audio, some the CPU, few if any will accept a motherboard different than the one that it was designed for, and replaceing a laptop motherboard can be a daunting task, not for the faint of heart, or the geek squad.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
laptops are more expensive, have lower power (generally) and overheat. ill never fully ditch desktops

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
When I saw the thread title, the only thing I could think of was little steampunk movie theatre curtains to cover the monitor when not in use.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I have never owned a laptop, one day I would like to, but it will never replace my desktop, it will simply compliment it. Desktops are the best home PC to own IMO, and they aren't going away anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers