U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I would run stinger McAfee Threat Center

It is a more specialized anti-virus that specifically checks for Sasser and lsass exploits among other things.
Excellent Idea! Funny how I forget some of my favorite tools...

Somebody rep J Arp for this one, I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

946 posts, read 2,571,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What is in your startup list?

Start>Run>type in msconfig and press Enter

Click on the Startup tab for the list of items that run at startup.

Is there one with csbuerfday or lsass in it? If yes, then remove the check mark in the box next to it, click OK and let the computer restart.

If you want to post what's in the list I'll go through it for you.
Yes, I had 3 items named lsass. I already removed the check mark and restarted the computer and it's fixed the problem!! Thanks so much! You're the only one that's managed to fix it , I thought I'd have to deal with those annoying messages every time I logged in. There's a long list of items that are still checked, is that normal?? Should I uncheck some more? Most of them I don't know what they are.

J Arp thank you, I'm already running it and it's detected some stuff. Thank you guys! Rep for both.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Yes, I had 3 items named lsass. I already removed the check mark and restarted the computer and it's fixed the problem!! Thanks so much! You're the only one that's managed to fix it , I thought I'd have to deal with those annoying messages every time I logged in. There's a long list of items that are still checked, is that normal?? Should I uncheck some more? Most of them I don't know what they are.

J Arp thank you, I'm already running it and it's detected some stuff. Thank you guys! Rep for both.
The advantage to posting in a forum? The Shotgun Approach. Sooner or later someone is going to hit on the right place to look or the right thing to check. My turn!

Don't remove the check marks indiscriminately. If you are comfortable listing the checked items here I will go over the list. If not, go to this site and check the program names against it.

Sysinfo.org

If the site confuses you post back and we'll get you through it.

Edit: You should rep mensaguy. He first mentioned MSCONFIG in post #4, but I think it got lost in all the back-and-forth.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The advantage to posting in a forum? The Shotgun Approach. Sooner or later someone is going to hit on the right place to look or the right thing to check. My turn!

Don't remove the check marks indiscriminately. If you are comfortable listing the checked items here I will go over the list. If not, go to this site and check the program names against it.

Sysinfo.org

If the site confuses you post back and we'll get you through it.

Edit: You should rep mensaguy. He first mentioned MSCONFIG in post #4, but I think it got lost in all the back-and-forth.
Thanks for reminding me, I forget to rep people but I already did to all who helped. Omg you're right, mensaguy mentioned MSCONFIG but seeing as I'm completely ignorant when it comes to computers I had no idea what it was, I need step by step instructions haha.

Oh, I'm not uncomfortable at all listing the items...these are the ones that are checked:

Apoint
Ati2mdxx
atiptaxx
ICO
reminder
SPMgr
HKserv
VAIOUpdt
ISBMgr
PartSeal
ccApp
VPTray
jusched
opware32
ISStart
dumprep 0-u
avgnt
RecoverFromReboot
gttask
iTunesHelper
ctfmon
MsnMsgr
GoogleToolbarNotifier

TeaTimer
SpySubtract
WinZip Quick Pick

....and there are 2 checked that don't have a name, just a location.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:33 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Excellent Idea! Funny how I forget some of my favorite tools...

Somebody rep J Arp for this one, I can't.
I'll do it. I've downloaded so many stingers over the years that I should hae thought of that. The best part is that it just simply takes out the garbage. No options, bells, whistles, or flashing lights. Just does what it is supposed to do.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:57 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'll do it. I've downloaded so many stingers over the years that I should hae thought of that. The best part is that it just simply takes out the garbage. No options, bells, whistles, or flashing lights. Just does what it is supposed to do.
Yup. I love me some stinger. It always seems to pick up what everything else doesn't.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Here is what I would disable, you'll have to research the other stuff. By the way, Sony's computers are at the top of the list when it comes to installing useless bloatware and crap on their computers, go through add/remove programs and remove the apps you don't use, and for god sake get rid of norton antivirus!

reminder
VAIOUpdt
PartSeal
jusched
dumprep 0-u
RecoverFromReboot
MsnMsgr
GoogleToolbarNotifier
WinZip Quick Pick

Old 08-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Here is what I would disable, you'll have to research the other stuff. By the way, Sony's computers are at the top of the list when it comes to installing useless bloatware and crap on their computers, go through add/remove programs and remove the apps you don't use, and for god sake get rid of norton antivirus!

reminder
VAIOUpdt
PartSeal
jusched
dumprep 0-u
RecoverFromReboot
MsnMsgr
GoogleToolbarNotifier
WinZip Quick Pick
What's wrong with Norton? Could you recommend a good one? Even if I have to buy it, cause I never have any luck with the ones I find online.

And yes there's a lot of stuff on the add/remove program list, but I'm scared of deleting items that might be important...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Norton? Could you recommend a good one? Even if I have to buy it, cause I never have any luck with the ones I find online.

And yes there's a lot of stuff on the add/remove program list, but I'm scared of deleting items that might be important...
The problems with norton are too many to list here, suffice it to say it is a bloated, crash prone, resource hogging, problem causing piece of junk, Mcafee is just as bad.

For better, free alternatives look at Avast or AVG antivirus.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me, I forget to rep people but I already did to all who helped. Omg you're right, mensaguy mentioned MSCONFIG but seeing as I'm completely ignorant when it comes to computers I had no idea what it was, I need step by step instructions haha.

Remember: Any of these can be reversed by simply going into MSCONFIG and placing the check back in the box then rebooting.

Apoint: Used for the touch pad - If you don't use it this can be removed

Ati2mdxx: System Tray icon to access ATI graphics card settings and the Hydravision. If you need access to these quickly keep it. Otherwise it can be accessed through Programs

atiptaxx: Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they have optimised their settings.

ICO: Found on some Sony Vaio, IBM Thinkpad and Dell (and possibly other) laptops and seems to be related to Mouse Suite 98 Daemon according to the properties. Required on the Dell Inspirion 530 as without it the Dell mouse suite does not load and mouse settings are not retained on a reboot. Appears to cause a behaviour where the desktop suddenly flips back up when playing DirectX associated games. Marked as User's Choice as to whether or not it should be kept.

reminder: There are a bunch of these. Most remind you to register software, or are used in contact managers. What is the location of the file?

SPMgr: Related to Sony VAIO Power Management Module installed on laptops and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

HKserv
: Keyboard manager program required to use programmable power and function keys on some laptops such as the Sony PCG R505TS. Your choice

VAIOUpdt
: Related to Sony Vaio Update service. This program is non-essential process to the running of the program, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

ISBMgr: Related to Sony ISB Utility. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

PartSeal: System backup for Sony Vaio PCs. Adds a recovery mechanism for users over and above any System Restore features - allowing users to revert a drive back to the state it was when bought form the factory by hitting F10. The user obviously loses any data stored if not backed-up elsewhere

ccApp
: Part of Norton AntiVirus. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not function without this

VPTray: System Tray icon for Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition. Gives access to the options available and may not be required. Some users may have problems - refer here

jusched: Checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel. Can also be a Trojan or other baddie. Name as jusched and filename as jusched.exe is the okay one.

opware32
: Part of OmniPage from Nuance (was Scansoft) - "the fastest, easiest way to turn paper documents into digital files you can edit". Links Word, via OLE, with OmniPage. If running, a user can call up OmniPage from inside of Word and ask it to scan something, via "File, Acquire Page". Also some of OmniPage's Options dialog boxes are accessible from within Word. Only required by novices and is Available via Start -> Programs. Not Required

ISStart
: LogitechGalleryRepair/LogitechVideoRepair - part of Logitech Image Studio - installed with Logitech QuickCam cameras. Required from version 8.11 onwards if you use the software to take pictures and capture videos, not if you don't. Also not required for versions up to and including 7.30 and after version 8.30 - hence the "U" rather than "Y" recommendation

dumprep 0-u
: Not needed

avgnt: AntiVir? PersonalEdition Classic antivirus. System Tray icon and control program. Are you running more than one Anti-Virus program?

RecoverFromReboot: Part of a DSL installer package from SBC (probably SBC/Yahoo DSL). If the installation is botched, this entry may be left in the registry. Dump it.

gttask: System Tray access to Apple's "Quick Time" viewer from version 5 onwards. I am assuming QTTASK, not GTTASK. Not required

iTunesHelper
: Installed with Apple's iTunes for Windows. Uses ~3-4MB of memory and if disabled in MSCONFIG or deleted from the registry it will re-instate itself after running iTunes a few times - Gotta keep it. It will just come back later if you use iTunes. If you don't use iTunes it can be dumped.

ctfmon
: CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. Ctfmon.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features. For more info on ctfmon see here. Ctfmon can be disabled from Control Panel, Text & Speech Services. Note - the file will always be located in the System32 folder, if it is located elsewhere it will likely be a worm or trojan! Can cause problems with some other programs if left enabled - see here for such an example

MsnMsgr: MSN Messenger (now superseeded by Windows Live Messenger) utility. If you don't use MSN Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to MS Messenger -> Tools -> Options -> Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

GoogleToolbarNotifier: Companion to the Google Toolbar that lets you keep Google as your default search engine and prevents this setting from being changed without your consent. Shouldn't remain in memory after the feature is disabled as it's a bug - see here

TeaTimer: TeaTimer is a permanent process and registry monitor of the Spybot S&D system protector which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. Detects processes wanting to start and gives you options on how to deal with this process in the future

SpySubtract
: SpySubtract - multi spyware removal tool

WinZip Quick Pick
: Added with WinZip version 8.1. "The new WinZip Quick Pick taskbar tray icon gives you instant access to WinZip and your Zip files. Just left click the icon to open WinZip, or right click it to instantly reopen recently used Zip files, access your Favorite Zip Folders, open WinZip Help, or start WinZip itself.". You can right-click and close it - choosing to not re-load it at start-up. Dump it.

....and there are 2 checked that don't have a name, just a location. Dump both
See above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or