U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:08 PM

946 posts, read 2,410,223 times

Advertisements

Wow I'm so glad this site has all these different forums for different topics...you could get help in just about anything here! I posted about this problem on another site but the suggestions they offered didn't help fix the problem.

When I turn on my computer, after logging in, a warning message pops out that says: Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\csbuerfday\lsass.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. After I press OK, another one follows it that says: Could not load or run (the same file). After that one 2 more messages pop out, saying the same thing. It's been like that for months and it's annoying. Any idea what this could be and how could I make it go away?

That's the main issue I want to get rid of, but there are also some other issues like my computer running very slow, making a lot of noise, the fan overworks and makes a LOT of noise and gets overheated. (It's a laptop.)

I do have antiviruses, anti-spyware, I run them regularly and still...nothing seems to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
I'm a little more concerned about your heat problem, for the time being. You may have to clean it out, or else risk a shorter laptop lifespan. I was looking around and saw a couple of things that would help keep a laptop cool:
Zalman ZM-NC1000 (http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=zm-nc1000.html - broken link)
TDD-3000 (http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=notebook_cooler - broken link)

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'm a little more concerned about your heat problem, for the time being. You may have to clean it out, or else risk a shorter laptop lifespan. I was looking around and saw a couple of things that would help keep a laptop cool:
Zalman ZM-NC1000 (http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=zm-nc1000.html - broken link)
TDD-3000 (http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=notebook_cooler - broken link)
Thanks so much! I'm definately going to buy one of those. But do you think that would fix the problem and nothing else is wrong with the fan? Shouldn't I need to clean it somehow??

Old 08-03-2008, 08:08 AM

10,257 posts, read 10,376,934 times
lsass.exe should reside in System32, not in a folder below it. There have been some virus or trojan threats that disguise themselves as Windows Security Services. Sasser and Blaster come to mind. They appeared several years ago. lsass.exe should not appear in the Startup list in MSCONFIG since it runs as a Service. Make sure your virus scanner and spyware protection are up to date and run full scans for each. Sometimes it helps to run these programs in Safe Mode.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:31 PM

26,867 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Also check to see what is in the Startup folder.

Start/All Programs/Startup

Is there anything in there? What?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
lsass.exe should reside in System32, not in a folder below it. There have been some virus or trojan threats that disguise themselves as Windows Security Services. Sasser and Blaster come to mind. They appeared several years ago. lsass.exe should not appear in the Startup list in MSCONFIG since it runs as a Service. Make sure your virus scanner and spyware protection are up to date and run full scans for each. Sometimes it helps to run these programs in Safe Mode.
I've updated and ran my antiviruses and anti-spy programs a ton of times, and when something does come up I delete it. Rarely something comes up though.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Also check to see what is in the Startup folder.

Start/All Programs/Startup

Is there anything in there? What?
"SpySubtract" and "Winzip Quick Pick".

Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Thanks so much! I'm definately going to buy one of those. But do you think that would fix the problem and nothing else is wrong with the fan? Shouldn't I need to clean it somehow??
Yep, it probably needs to be cleaned. Cue tips, canned air, and all that. I read that if there is special goop between the processor and heat sink, it gets old and hard, so it doesn't do as good of a job, and so it helps to replace it -- or if it doesn't have any, to put some in there. I've read that you have to be careful with canned air, because it's really cold and can do damage to your computer, too. Also, don't blow it directly at the fan/fans, unless you have a way to keep it from spinning. You can Google a bit and find a number of people giving instructions, but it would be a good idea to read two or three of them. Not all of these guys are going to have all of the does and don'ts.

I had wondered if you had a worm or something. You might try Hijack This and log in to one of the special forums where experts can take a look at what's going on and tell you what to do. You may have a good AV program, but it doesn't mean it is infallible.

One more thing, make sure you have all of the MS security updates.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 08-03-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: added ms updates

Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM

26,867 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What is in your startup list?

Start>Run>type in msconfig and press Enter

Click on the Startup tab for the list of items that run at startup.

Is there one with csbuerfday or lsass in it? If yes, then remove the check mark in the box next to it, click OK and let the computer restart.

If you want to post what's in the list I'll go through it for you.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,551,547 times
I would run stinger McAfee Threat Center

It is a more specialized anti-virus that specifically checks for Sasser and lsass exploits among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or