U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
My computer isn't - or wasn't - set up to leave messages on the server. Once they downloaded they were gone. Until the last go-round with still another tech support person who said to check the box to save them, so I could read them as webmail. Then whatever I want to keep, I have to copy and paste, before I delete it - then, supposedly, it's gone. I don't generally get large messages, with the rare exception of photos, which are definitely the ones I want to keep - but I have been saving the photos and printing them, just in case. That's the only way I get some pix, like the ones of my daughter's wedding, and I really don't want to lose those!
Copy them to a second hard drive (can be external), a flash drive, or a CD or DVD. This is a good time to be paranoid.

Flash drives are getting pretty cheap. You can find 8GB for as little as $30. The one below is the one I use. In fact this is the only brand I will buy. This is because of past experience with a failure (my bad) and their resulting replacement. I still can't believe it was so easy.

Newegg.com - OCZ RALLY2 8GB High Performance Dual Channel Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBR2DC-8GB - USB Flash Drives

Here is a general page of their drives.

Newegg.com - ocz flash drive

Sorted by lowest to highest price.

The nice thing about having them on a flash drive is portability. You slip the drive in a pocket or purse and plug it in to anyones computer. Voila! Family pictures to go!

I keep my entire business on mine and it's with me always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
My computer isn't - or wasn't - set up to leave messages on the server. Once they downloaded they were gone. Until the last go-round with still another tech support person who said to check the box to save them, so I could read them as webmail. Then whatever I want to keep, I have to copy and paste, before I delete it - then, supposedly, it's gone. I don't generally get large messages, with the rare exception of photos, which are definitely the ones I want to keep - but I have been saving the photos and printing them, just in case. That's the only way I get some pix, like the ones of my daughter's wedding, and I really don't want to lose those!
Mensaguy was right. If the problem email won't download then it blocks all later email. The setting in OE doesn't do anything until after the email has downloaded so if it doesn't download the "leave a copy on the server setting" never comes into play.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,358,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Copy them to a second hard drive (can be external), a flash drive, or a CD or DVD. This is a good time to be paranoid.

Flash drives are getting pretty cheap. You can find 8GB for as little as $30. The one below is the one I use. In fact this is the only brand I will buy. This is because of past experience with a failure (my bad) and their resulting replacement. I still can't believe it was so easy.

Newegg.com - OCZ RALLY2 8GB High Performance Dual Channel Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBR2DC-8GB - USB Flash Drives

Here is a general page of their drives.

Newegg.com - ocz flash drive

Sorted by lowest to highest price.

The nice thing about having them on a flash drive is portability. You slip the drive in a pocket or purse and plug it in to anyones computer. Voila! Family pictures to go!

I keep my entire business on mine and it's with me always.
Actually, I do have a bunch of flash drives, I am one of the most paranoid people regarding computer files in the world. Unfortunately, they are packed somewhere in boxes in my garage - in the process of moving in - and since it's been around 110+F today, and not much lower for the past week, it's just too hot to go out and search for them, to say nothing of the fact that the garage is about 10 degrees hotter inside than it is outside. I just hope the program disks I have that I also haven't found yet don't melt in the heat.

It's one of those 'if anything can go wrong, it will' years, so far.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How about on the Server tab? Just below your password box are two boxes that can have a check in them. Test OE with both empty or one empty and one checked, then flip the empty/checked status. I don't think you ever need both checked.

BTW the Microsoft tech that had you unload ZoneAlarm because it was causing problems was a bald-faced liar. The culprit was a security update download from Microsoft that caused ZA to block Internet Access. If you download the latest ZA version it will work, ZA found the problem and fixed it. They knew it would take MS a year to get around to it so they did it.

Try unloading AVG and check your email also. I have had problems at client sites with AVG email scanning taking forever to let mail through. To the point that OE gives up and times out. I think you can turn off just the email scan in the program, but the interface keeps changing so I can't tell you where for sure. Look through AVG and you'll find it.
I tried the server tabs both ways and still nothing. I checked the emails on the server against the last ones I got through OE, and there's a gap of about 1 1/2 days. Nothing that appears to have stalled anything, just a standard warning message from ebay that time was running out on something I was watching - and I get a lot of those, because I'm curious about how much people are willing to pay for weird things.

I thought back and it wasn't the MS guy who said to remove ZA, it was the AT&T tech. The MS guy told me how to delete the upgrades, which I had to do every morning for nearly 2 weeks before they stopped coming, and other than being annoying, that worked just fine.

It takes AVG about 1 1/4 hours to complete a scan on my computer, and that's on the 2 hard drives. Very annoying, at times. I tried to upgrade to the new free edition, and every time I clicked on the 'download now' button, it would open up another tab encouraging me to BUY one - after about 9 tabs were opened, I shut them all down and ignored the messages that kept popping up. That was just a couple days ago.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There's another thing I just thought of that can apply to any mail program. Sometimes a problem occurs with a single message on your server, causing your mail client to fail to download it and then stop downloading messages at all. You can fix it by logging into the web mail server and deleting some of the messages there. Try going back to the time the problem started and delete some messages from the server. I've seen this happen with very large messages, but I would assume it could happen with anything.
My experience has been that, it is not the size of the message but the number of adressees the sender put in, so if you have a message on the server through webmail that has lots of people in the to section try deleting that on first. Outlook has a know issue with that.

With the number of emails you keep and use, maybe you should consider upgrading to a more robust program.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
My experience has been that, it is not the size of the message but the number of adressees the sender put in, so if you have a message on the server through webmail that has lots of people in the to section try deleting that on first. Outlook has a know issue with that.

With the number of emails you keep and use, maybe you should consider upgrading to a more robust program.
Good point, Arcticthaw. From my experience (which goes back to before there was such a thing as Outlook Express), OE starts to really slow down when there are more than 1000-2000 messages stored. Even if they are all neatly divided up in folders (remembering that all those files are still stored in one REAL folder), just imagine the havoc that can result from even one of the databases or index files failing.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post

The closest I come to having multiple addresses is a very few forwarded things that I receive. If I decide to forward one of those, I go to the original message, or copy and paste the message into a new email. I don't send multiples of anything - while I may send the same basic thing to a number of different people, I send them separately so I can personalize each one.

The last time I upgraded an email program, it was sort of involuntary - when my techie friend rebuilt my computer, he downloaded a newer version of Netscape, which I'd been using since it was Navigator 2.0. Turned out the 'improved' one didn't DO emails, it had turned into just a browser, so all the ones I had before that were no longer available. THey still live somewhere in the bowels of the E drive, but there's no way to open them. I was so annoyed with Netscape, I had him set IE and OE as the browser/email client.

The main reason I'm so reluctant to change programs - any programs - is that I'm visually impaired, and once I figure out how something works, it goes on autopilot. I don't have to squint to see what's on the monitor, and I don't have to think about what I'm doing and triple check everything.

Last edited by karibear; 08-04-2008 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Read through this forum. There might be something that will fix your problem, or perhaps lead you to the fix...

Is this notice about insecure email settings legit?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
The closest I come to having multiple addresses is a very few forwarded things that I receive. ......
The issue here is how many addresses are in the TO: part of the message header.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM

I know you have likely been through this a gazillion times, but have you checked for things like spelling errors in your Incoming and Outgoing fields on the server tab? Or do you have a comma instead of a period in there? Been there, done that.

Do you require a different email server for Incoming and Outgoing? This is handled by placing a check box in "My server requires authentication" on the servers tab, then clicking on Settings and adding a different account name and password. I have a client that has to do this and it is a royal pain in the butt.

On the Advanced tab:

Outgoing (smtp) 25

Incoming (pop3) 110

Server timeout 1 minute or longer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers