U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post

Now, let's be logical. Outlook Express will not "break" out of the blue. If indeed, it's "broken" on your system, then something must have changed on that system. What changed between receipt of the last mail and the next time you tried to receive mail on that sytem?
On the one hand I agree with your post. On the other hand I have had Outlook Express break for absolutely no reason whatsoever. One day I opened the program to find that my INBOX file had been corrupted and was gone forever (thankfully there was a freeware program out there that could recover my emails). I had to do some hocus pocus with the >application data> identies files to get it back to semi normal. So, remembering that this is a Microsoft product occasionally the SHTF and something goes very, very wrong.

I do not have an answer to the op since I use gmail exclusively and I would recommend to other people to do the same. It is particularly nice to be able to accss all your email from any computer at any time.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
On the one hand I agree with your post. On the other hand I have had Outlook Express break for absolutely no reason whatsoever. One day I opened the program to find that my INBOX file had been corrupted and was gone forever (thankfully there was a freeware program out there that could recover my emails). I had to do some hocus pocus with the >application data> identies files to get it back to semi normal. So, remembering that this is a Microsoft product occasionally the SHTF and something goes very, very wrong.

I do not have an answer to the op since I use gmail exclusively and I would recommend to other people to do the same. It is particularly nice to be able to accss all your email from any computer at any time.

20yrsinBranson
I have clients that have lost access to gmail for no apparent reason, and getting help is virtually impossible.

I'll keep my email on my computer, thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I tried the server tabs both ways and still nothing. I checked the emails on the server against the last ones I got through OE, and there's a gap of about 1 1/2 days. Nothing that appears to have stalled anything, just a standard warning message from ebay that time was running out on something I was watching - and I get a lot of those, because I'm curious about how much people are willing to pay for weird things.

I thought back and it wasn't the MS guy who said to remove ZA, it was the AT&T tech. The MS guy told me how to delete the upgrades, which I had to do every morning for nearly 2 weeks before they stopped coming, and other than being annoying, that worked just fine.

It takes AVG about 1 1/4 hours to complete a scan on my computer, and that's on the 2 hard drives. Very annoying, at times. I tried to upgrade to the new free edition, and every time I clicked on the 'download now' button, it would open up another tab encouraging me to BUY one - after about 9 tabs were opened, I shut them all down and ignored the messages that kept popping up. That was just a couple days ago.
You may have misunderstood what I meant. In the AVG Control Panel (double-click the tray icon to get to it) there should be a place where you can turn off email scanning. This is different than the scan AVG Does for the hard drive.

Download AVG Free Edition 8.0.138 - FileHippo.com

Top right corner "Download Latest Version"

Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,358,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You may have misunderstood what I meant. In the AVG Control Panel (double-click the tray icon to get to it) there should be a place where you can turn off email scanning. This is different than the scan AVG Does for the hard drive.

Download AVG Free Edition 8.0.138 - FileHippo.com

Top right corner "Download Latest Version"
No, I know they are different. I just get frustrated after awhile - and the whole scan thing also scans the emails after they are on the hard drive. I can see by the various file names what's being looked at. The closest thing I've ever had to a 'threat' was in an internet temp file, and the only thing that finally got rid of it was to have all temp files delete automatically every time I turned off the computer. And that was the download I clicked on - it just didn't work for me, apparently. Technology is a wonderful thing, except when it doesn't want to cooperate.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 AM

11,497 posts, read 21,897,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I stopped getting email 7/31. Normally I get from 150-500/day, so I called AT&T to find out what was going on. First, they said there were 'iissues' with their email servers. Next, they said I had to re-create my account - which I did, about 6 or 7 times. Then they said - finally - there was nothing wrong at their end, I'd have to use the webmail site, there was something corrupted in my OE. Well, I don't LIKE using the webmail, I want my OE to work. For one thing, that's where all my email addys are, in the address book. Oh, and they also gave me an 800# to call Microsoft, but the number is non-existent.

Is there any way to fix it, short of buying a whole new Office Swuite? I don't like/use MSWord, or any of the other stuff they include. I just want a functional OE - the version I have is 6.0, and I wouldn't mind having a slightly later one, but not if it was going to wipe out all my addresses. I've checked every place I can think of, and it's not a separate program, it's bundled with the various Office whatsits. And I certainly don't want to pay that kind of price for just OE.
Since your post was bumped back up.. Are you ok now?
My suggestion is to get gmail, start changing your email addy to the gmail one and to set gmail up to pull the other emails as well. You can also configure OE to pull gmail.

I haven't used OE in years. Too buggy for me. I favor thunderbird or older versions of netscape email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers