Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac Vs PC
Mac 35 53.03%
PC 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 AM

134 posts, read 145,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
Yeah but macs can use both windows and Mac os but pcs cant
Uhm, yes they can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
Uhm, yes they can...
what are you talking about, MAC OS is specifically made for macs not pcs and i have proof and if you can prove me wrong than do it. Look at the general requirements on this website Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Technical Specs PCs can not have Mac os Only Macs Can Have both windows and MAC

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 AM

Well let me see, since I code/test all day long at work, it doesn't make much sense for me to have 5 different machines sitting at my desktop to test on. In order to make sure that scripts work in OSX, I load up VMWare workstation and boot into OSX (from within Windows). I do the same to test if code works in Linux as well. OSX (Darwin) is completely based-on FreeBSD, which was developed for... PC! Why would I ever want proprietary hardware and a piece of crap Operating System like OSX (only redeeming quality is Darwin)? FreeBSD, Linux, and even Windows are better than OSX. Oh yeah, I can go to frys or best buy when something in my PC breaks down.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 AM

Yeah but how come the top computer expert judges windows as crappy and prefer mac. How come there are more reports windows crashing down than a mac. how come windows makes everything ugly and so complicated to use. How come windows doesnt suit peoples needs

Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
Yeah but how come the top computer expert judges windows as crappy and prefer mac. How come there are more reports windows crashing down than a mac. how come windows makes everything ugly and so complicated to use. How come windows doesnt suit peoples needs
Haha, what field do you work in? Please, tell me what top computer experts prefer Mac to PC? You're assuming that only Windows will run on a PC. We are talking about hardware architecture here, and I am saying PC all the way. I am on a Dell laptop as I write this, and I am using Fedora Linux. I personally would never run Windows, but I sure wouldn't run OSX either. They're equally crap. The problem is, Mac hardware is crap as well. You know that you have lockups on your Mac every once in a while. Well, my FreeBSD box has been up for 495 days at this point w/o one single crash. I see no good reason to buy/use a Mac. They're charging an arm and a leg for an OS that is completely free for PC.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 AM

Also, if for some reason you want a Mac-style interface, that is easy to setup as well:
http://bsdbox.home.insightbb.com/aqua.png (broken link)
http://pagux.com/pics/linuxosx.png (broken link)

All the things Windows/OS X currently do, have been done in Linux/FreeBSD for a few years now:

YouTube - Beryl Ubuntu Desktop

I find it hilarious when OS X people accuse Microsoft of lacking innovation. Especially as an open-source user, you smirk, because you know both of these companies steal their ideas from open-source... Oh yeah, that reminds me, another thing... Almost everything I use is FREE, and open-source. Imagine someone gives you a recipe, but does not allow you to modify that recipe to your own tastes. In fact, they make it illegal to make an modifications to that recipe, and if you share that recipe with anyone, you can go to prison for piracy. Well, that is the basic principle behind Windows and OS X. At least with my OS I can modify the recipe and give it to whomever I please. That is the beauty of having the source code for almost all applications I use, and the very kernel that my OS is built upon.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 AM

but with os that is legal and the fact that it is made by professional developers its much more of a safe bet

Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
PC for sure. I've had to use Macs before and they are more difficult.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
Regarding the discussion about whether or not the Mac OS can work on a PC. This past winter while shopping for a notebook at a local computer shop one of the owners told me he had found a way to load Windows XP onto a Mac with the latest OS Leopard and it was able to fully function.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
For me it's a no-brainer - Mac. Windows is a poor cousin of the Mac OS in my opinion and it takes several more strokes to execute a simple command in Windows as compared to Mac OS. PCs - viruses, Mac not. PCs "defragging" stupidness, Mac not. My friends with PCs have to replace their computers every couple of years because they seem to have a built in basic manufacturing obsolescence while the Mac (although admittedly more expensive) is SO much more reliable. I find it hard to conceive how anybody could say that PCs are more user-friendly than Mac.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers