U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac Vs PC
Mac 35 53.03%
PC 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:53 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
First point - not valid, sorry . I use a Logitech mouse on my Apples, has just as many buttons [as if that is really that important ] if not more than standard Windows mouse.

Second point - more people using something does not make something more better Besides, the Apple mantra is, if recall, "Think Different" Lastly, vast majority of what can be done on a Windows-based machine can be performed with an Apple, and vice versa.

First point was made with tongue firmly in cheek. Second point is that, FOR ME, the widespread commonality is a far more important consideration that what is a BETTER computer. I've said on other threads that a Mac is a superior computer to a PC. In the history of small computers, there have been several superior designs that failed to be as successful as they should have been. The Next machine had no floppy disk drive, and people at that time shunned it as unusable. The Atari ST should still be around. As I've said before, my personal favorite computer was an Amiga. In the end, I stopped using a functioning Amiga in favor of a new PC I built myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,616,925 times
I love my Mac

Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM

701 posts, read 994,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Till yesterday I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly..........then my Mac Mini died. The machine lasted just over one year.

Had it checked out and apparently its hard drive failed---------when I turned it on; it showed a gray screen with a 'folder' icon and a flashing '?' mark.
Hope you have Applecare. A friend of mine had a Mac Mini with problems. He had Applecare. They eventually replaced it with a new Mac Mini, rather than waste more time on it. Such a sweet deal!

That being said, while I love using my antique Powerbook which has been problem free since I bought it in early 2006, I can't vote Mac over a PC. But only because I recently got interested in Open Source and Linux-powered PCs.

So I guess it boils down to this: For my less-computer-geek side, I vote for a Mac. ILife alone makes it a worthwhile purchase. I'm more productive, faster. Although Apple also includes free support for XCode, Python, Ruby among others for the computer geeks. So not a bad deal at all.

For the computer-geek in me (now that I'm starting to learn about the open-source world), then I'd have to vote PC and Open Source Software. It's really hard to argue with FREE Linux and a few thousand software products.

PC with Windows? Well, only if I have to. And my work would have to pay for it.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,579,943 times
Are we being serious and technical about the two here?

That is, are we talking about the details of the architecture?
The details of the OS compatibility and kernel structure?
The details about networking capability?
The details about modularity, design and marketability?
The details about software support and functionality?

Or...

Is this more of a discussion on the level of the PC vs Mac commercials where a lot of people say things about the other but really don't speak much of the issues at a level to really reach a valid comparison or understanding?

I am not being flippant with the issue, just saying that there are two levels of these discussions that I have ran into in the past (and I am not attempting to make comments about the people here).

One is made by those who know little about computers in general (very surface based knowledge of the history of the architecture and progression of the two) and the other are those that delve right down into the discussion of the core of each technology.

One is just a subjective argue match kind of like arguing over ice cream and the other actually has to concede points back and forth due to the facts of the issue.

so...

Which discussion is this?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,367,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Are we being serious and technical about the two here?

That is, are we talking about the details of the architecture?
The details of the OS compatibility and kernel structure?
The details about networking capability?
The details about modularity, design and marketability?
The details about software support and functionality?

Or...

Is this more of a discussion on the level of the PC vs Mac commercials where a lot of people say things about the other but really don't speak much of the issues at a level to really reach a valid comparison or understanding?

I am not being flippant with the issue, just saying that there are two levels of these discussions that I have ran into in the past (and I am not attempting to make comments about the people here).

One is made by those who know little about computers in general (very surface based knowledge of the history of the architecture and progression of the two) and the other are those that delve right down into the discussion of the core of each technology.

One is just a subjective argue match kind of like arguing over ice cream and the other actually has to concede points back and forth due to the facts of the issue.

so...

Which discussion is this?
A good point. My addition to it would be this: "Which computer allows you to go through a month's worth of normal work without having to devote time to screwing around with your computer?"

Having owned several Dells, HPs, and IBMs running everything from MS Dos through Windows 95, XP, etc. etc., then I have to say Mac.

Look. I'm not a gear head. I really don't want to devote much time farting around in Linux or swapping chips or installing boards. I want to do my work, which entails a helluva lot of writing, spreadsheets, billing & accounting, and making beaucoup presentations.

Likewise, with all this work, I'm good for 45 billable hours a week, tops. The rest of my life awaits in terms of raising children, mowing the grass, and actually having a life. So if I'm not billing 45 hours a week because I was up to my elbows dealing with a convoluted software installation, then I'm going to be really ticked off.

And if you're a gearhead sneering at the past two paragraphs, then I have this to say--This is how 95% of the world wants to work. They don't want to learn programming and write code. They want to sit down at their desk at 8 a.m., flip it on, start the program, print out what needs to be printed, go to lunch at noon, come back at one, work until six. And the less time spent screwing around with the tool that helps them do that, the better.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,296,019 times
I've been a Windows user since 1997 till 2006, I think i had 4 computers for those 9 years. Everyone worked just fine for the first year, if that. I might be technically challenged, and i don't' like to pick my computers apart, install, reinstall, upgrade, format, update virus softwares, rebooting once a day, you name it...

I just want machine that works, all day long, all year long, without giving me a hard time and freezing. So, i got myself a Mac. I'm sure PC would be just fine if i didn't have to be online, otherwise, no thank you!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 AM

646 posts, read 1,529,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
Yeah but macs can use both windows and Mac os but pcs cant

You can put OSX on a PC. Since they partnered with Intel they pretty much use identical parts. There are many forums dedicated to this very process. Some people call them a "hackintosh" haha.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
You can put OSX on a PC. Since they partnered with Intel they pretty much use identical parts. There are many forums dedicated to this very process. Some people call them a "hackintosh" haha.
Yup, but it's still a violation of the Apple EULA, there's a company being sued over it by Apple as we speak.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinster View Post
if you are graphic designer or plan to launch rocket to moon... Mac forsure

otherwise, PC gets all my votes
How many votes would that be, now? Hmmmm...?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,799,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Hope you have Applecare. A friend of mine had a Mac Mini with problems. He had Applecare. They eventually replaced it with a new Mac Mini, rather than waste more time on it. Such a sweet deal!

That being said, while I love using my antique Powerbook which has been problem free since I bought it in early 2006, I can't vote Mac over a PC. But only because I recently got interested in Open Source and Linux-powered PCs.

So I guess it boils down to this: For my less-computer-geek side, I vote for a Mac. ILife alone makes it a worthwhile purchase. I'm more productive, faster. Although Apple also includes free support for XCode, Python, Ruby among others for the computer geeks. So not a bad deal at all.

For the computer-geek in me (now that I'm starting to learn about the open-source world), then I'd have to vote PC and Open Source Software. It's really hard to argue with FREE Linux and a few thousand software products.

PC with Windows? Well, only if I have to. And my work would have to pay for it.
No Applecare here.

One big reason that I gave Apple a try in July 2007 was due to the alleged greater dependability of Macs.

C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers