Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac Vs PC
Mac 35 53.03%
PC 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For me it's a no-brainer - Mac. Windows is a poor cousin of the Mac OS in my opinion and it takes several more strokes to execute a simple command in Windows as compared to Mac OS. PCs - viruses, Mac not. PCs "defragging" stupidness, Mac not. My friends with PCs have to replace their computers every couple of years because they seem to have a built in basic manufacturing obsolescence while the Mac (although admittedly more expensive) is SO much more reliable. I find it hard to conceive how anybody could say that PCs are more user-friendly than Mac.

Cheers!
Till yesterday I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly..........then my Mac Mini died. The machine lasted just over one year.

Had it checked out and apparently its hard drive failed---------when I turned it on; it showed a gray screen with a 'folder' icon and a flashing '?' mark.

Sooooo...........I 'bit the big one' and picked up a HP Vista powered tower; at least it has 4 Gig of RAM to make Vista watch its manners. Now; I do have a Windows XP disc (100% legit) complete with its Key Code, just in case

I would have bought another Mac but aside from the Mac Pro...........Apple does not even offer a tower anymore with its easy to swap hardware-------and, I have a problem paying $2,000+ for a Pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
ArizonaBear - you do bring up a good valid point that has buggered me for some time; seems that Apple has the iMac for mass consumer appeal: simple, quite powerful, and quite good system, yet no interchangeable/upgradeable capability. But have to jump up to high a level IMHO to get to the Mac Pro to have that ability. Don't know if the answer is an iMac where consumer could swap out a video card [cause what these come with could be more betterer! ], or mini Mac Pro or Mac Con model, w/o all the capacity of the higher end - something that sits in the middle, help bridge the gap between 'em both. But, w/ that all said, I am very happy w/ my MacBook and the 24" iMac. Next will be a MacBook Pro I believe...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
ArizonaBear - you do bring up a good valid point that has buggered me for some time; seems that Apple has the iMac for mass consumer appeal: simple, quite powerful, and quite good system, yet no interchangeable/upgradeable capability. But have to jump up to high a level IMHO to get to the Mac Pro to have that ability. Don't know if the answer is an iMac where consumer could swap out a video card [cause what these come with could be more betterer! ], or mini Mac Pro or Mac Con model, w/o all the capacity of the higher end - something that sits in the middle, help bridge the gap between 'em both. But, w/ that all said, I am very happy w/ my MacBook and the 24" iMac. Next will be a MacBook Pro I believe...
Yeppers.

Even if Apple offered a smaller modular tower along the lines of the Pro but with just the Mini's performance capabilities and I had to pay; say, $800 for it----------I would have snapped one up.

Apparently; quite a few people are pissed off at Apple for that glaring hole in their product lineup.

FYI: my new PC cost less than another Mac Mini.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,323 times
the 2ghz mac mini cost 800 the 1.83ghz cost 600

Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
PC. More mouse buttons.

Besides, after using many different machines for many years, it is quite nice to know that what I use now is compatible with the machines that at least 90% of the people I know are using.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
PC. More mouse buttons.

Besides, after using many different machines for many years, it is quite nice to know that what I use now is compatible with the machines that at least 90% of the people I know are using.
First point - not valid, sorry . I use a Logitech mouse on my Apples, has just as many buttons [as if that is really that important ] if not more than standard Windows mouse.

Second point - more people using something does not make something more better Besides, the Apple mantra is, if recall, "Think Different" Lastly, vast majority of what can be done on a Windows-based machine can be performed with an Apple, and vice versa.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
That seems to be the case with a lot of people, actually. I've used Macs since grade school, so by the time I bought one for myself I had tons of experience. It's not impossible for a PC guy to get used to the Mac interface, though - my dad bought a Mac for work fairly recently after using PCs for over 15 years, and he couldn't be happier with it. You can't expect to get the hang of it immediately - it just takes some time, as with everything in life. If you were to operate a Mac consistently for a week or two, I bet you'd be fine.

But yes, as for me, even though I like and use both Macs and PCs, I prefer Macs. I've had my current MacBook Pro for almost a year now, and it's really been a great computer. It's fast, powerful, easy to use, lightweight, sleekly designed, and virtually trouble free (I had a few issues early on, but a quick reinstallation of the OS fixed everything). I would definitely recommend it for anybody looking at a new laptop, even though it's a bit on the expensive side. I think it's worth it.

Interesting fact - In PC World's testing last year, the quickest-running Windows Vista laptop was a MacBook Pro.
Good reply ThatTNGuy. I am sure that you're right; it would just take a little getting used to. I'm not against anything that is different, I just don't understand why everybody says Macs are so much easier when I find the navigation system on PCs to be so much more logical. Of course, I believe it is all a matter of perception.

Thanks for the informative response.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Good reply ThatTNGuy. I am sure that you're right; it would just take a little getting used to. I'm not against anything that is different, I just don't understand why everybody says Macs are so much easier when I find the navigation system on PCs to be so much more logical. Of course, I believe it is all a matter of perception.

Thanks for the informative response.
True - I miss some of the paths, the logical ways of doing certain tasks that I've performed and learned on PC, that Mac either doesn't do or does soooo differently. However, after some "relearning", where logic,,, well, its just that w/ an Apple on these certain tasks that it may not be logical per se, but its just easier if that makes any sense? So, I guess could say that Apple is maybe less logical, but more intuitive?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Thanks ShadowCaver. Question.. If it's so intuitive, why is it not logical? I'm not being facetious, just trying to understand the mentality.

Case in point: I look at a computer as a giant filing mechanism, akin to a file cabinet full of folders. You right-click on the Start button on a PC and then "Explore;" you'll see all of your folders and the directories within (once you drill down).

The PC reflects that mindset entirely, but yet the MAC tries to do things from some kind of other perspective.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of things, seriously.

Thanks for your response.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
I read a few days ago, that sometimes you can get a BIOS flash that will allow more RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers