U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 AM

702 posts, read 2,080,150 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this from another CD poster. I have a subscription to Skype that's about to expire. I've been very pleased with Skype, but it looks like I can get the same service from MagicJack for $20 per year vs $90 per year with Skype. I'm always leery about "you get what you pay for" so I'm looking for any feedback from people who have tried MagicJack.

I was about to sign up until I read a few reviews and user comments. Apparently MagicJack monitors your calls and customizes ads in the "phone pad" based on keywords it picks up in your conversation - is there truth to this? If so, count me out now. Other people have complained about their poor customer service, with the MagicJack suddenly not working after a month and getting no help.

MagicJack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM

116 posts, read 326,037 times
rave:i just got mine today.

read the tos on their website.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM

23,985 posts, read 23,225,883 times
Cool Skype ~ Magic Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I just heard about this from another CD poster. I have a subscription to Skype that's about to expire. I've been very pleased with Skype, but it looks like I can get the same service from MagicJack for $20 per year vs $90 per year with Skype. I'm always leery about "you get what you pay for" so I'm looking for any feedback from people who have tried MagicJack.

I was about to sign up until I read a few reviews and user comments. Apparently MagicJack monitors your calls and customizes ads in the "phone pad" based on keywords it picks up in your conversation - is there truth to this? If so, count me out now. Other people have complained about their poor customer service, with the MagicJack suddenly not working after a month and getting no help.

MagicJack
I thought Skypes was only $29.95 a year. Why so much? and what do you get for the services. Also looking at Magic Jack ... but you need high speed connection, not the standard Lite version. I'm also looking a Skypes WiFi Phone.....

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,372,356 times
Even though the idea of a cheap/free phone has been around for at least 15 years it all has the same problem. It is not consistent: no calls, dropped calls, telephony hardware fails, your ISP doesn't support the hardware, the software is buggy/doesn't support your operating system, and sometimes the Internet connection isn't fast enough.

I've been looking for the same thing since it was first unveiled. None, including VoIP and Vonage, was worth the time, expense or frustration. My ISP wanted me use his VoIP for $25/mo but never gave me enough bandwidth to make it work. The other one sold a defective telephony device and lied about it. FCC believed me and Vonage cut a fat check.

Portable calling in rural America is dicey at best and it always will be until a national telco comes to their town. Beware the price. The $20/mo internet is not much faster than dial up and just as buggy. I am still in rural America and I am still looking for a solution.

In the end the 'plug headphones into the computer and use the virtual dialer' still works better. None work best. The Google phone is free. Try it.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,652,520 times
If I'm not mistaken with MagicJack you also can't call 911.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM

492 posts, read 1,254,759 times
We use Google Voice. Have one number, rings as many as 10 phones and it's FREE.....

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 9,052 times
I tried Magicjack and the audio quality was just terrible on my connection (which can definitely support it). Other VOIP solutions work great. Magicjack is a rip off.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,384,812 times
WalMart is currently listing MagicJack as out of stock. If you buy MJ at a retail store, MJ will not refund your purchase, you have to return it to your retailer, and maybe WalMart is getting tired of refunding to unhappy buyers.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 AM

841 posts, read 1,689,464 times
Have you tried google voice?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,386,118 times
MJ really was a waste of time for me NO CUSTOMER SERVICE the talk quality was TERRIBLE and the darn thing does NOT work properly with windows 7..

save your money and use google voice for free call out phone ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers