U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,514,906 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the ASUS Eee PC 2GB Surf 7" Mini Notebook Computer with Linux? It has gotten good reviews but I am not sure about a 7 inch screen. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
I have the 4GB Asus eeePC w/Windows XP. The display is not hard to get used to, and I consider it a reasonable tradeoff for the small size and light weight of the machine.

With Windows XP, storage is the biggest challenge. The stock XP install takes up a large chunk of the available hard drive space, leaving not much space for anything else. I believe I've read that the Linux OS runs in a much smaller footprint.

On the plus side of the ledger, the eeePC never fails to draw interest from passersby when I use it in public. People are really amazed by this tiny notebook.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM

I really just want it for e-mail and Internet since it will easily fit in my handbag. I am concerned about the small type and also that the additional battery adds another $100 to the low price. However, I hear that Asus is an excellent brand that sells for a lot more out of the US. I just priced the 7 inch in SXM last week and it was twice the price.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM

339 posts, read 1,303,742 times
I have the 4G and run the installed Linux. Had it about 3 months and am absolutely loving it. I also just wanted something tiny and portable, only for email and Internet and a little photo storage. For my needs, works beautifully. Weighs so little I barely feel it in my purse. It's also so convenient using it as an actual laptop...my husband's notebooks are so honkin' huge that it's uncomfortable surfing on them from the sofa or bed.

Obviously, due to its limitations, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who requires a bunch of heavy duty programs or for anyone who needs to run it like 8+ hours a day as perhaps some eye stain would occur. But it didn't take long for me to adjust to the small screen and though a few websites are annoying to view at that scale, for the most part I forget I'm using something so tiny.

The keyboard took a wee bit more getting used to, but after I discovered the typing games/tutorials that come loaded, I was off and flying. Now going from my desktop with its huge keys right to the Asus is no problem at all.

I have not purchased an additional battery but if you shop around you can definitely find one from a reliable seller for less than $100. For me battery life is about 2 hrs but it does seem to go a bit longer if I turn down the brightness and volume. It charges very quickly and comes with a super long cord which I find so convenient.

EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum Here's a site that explores just about everything you'd want to know about the Eee PC, both good and bad.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info, kacvb19 74. It looks like I will be buying two.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 AM

40 posts, read 72,917 times
Default Asus notebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Has anyone used the ASUS Eee PC 2GB Surf 7" Mini Notebook Computer with Linux? It has gotten good reviews but I am not sure about a 7 inch screen. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
I have it since 12/07 and love it. I use it more than my desktop. Check out jr.co for great prices on various Asus models. Also see the new Acer that's similar to the Asus eee pc. Good luck.

Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers