U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 38.37%
Some version of Windows 35 40.70%
Neither one 6 6.98%
Both 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,574,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Microsoft has been lax in its OS upgrades as of late, but it seems to be changing. There are regular updates, most happen in the middle of the night through the update center so most users do not even notice they do happen unless you change the default settings through the upgrade center. I run a virus scanner for the added security, as well as a second firewall on top of the windows firewall.
So Windows just automatically updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
by default Vista does. There are several occations where it will tell you it needs to restart to install the updates, but for the most part yes. You can change it in the update center to download only, and ask for install.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Windows automatically updating itself isn't new with Vista. It's been around for YEARS. Anyone claiming that "all MS does is release their OS and then leave it up to third-party software developers to to 'fix' the problem(s)" has obviously never spend much time around any version of Windows released in the last decade.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Microsoft has been lax in its OS upgrades as of late, but it seems to be changing. There are regular updates, most happen in the middle of the night through the update center so most users do not even notice they do happen unless you change the default settings through the upgrade center. I run a virus scanner for the added security, as well as a second firewall on top of the windows firewall.
Upgrades and updates are two different things, Updates are issued on the second Tuesday of each month when required. Upgrades are released when ever a new OS is released.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Since Windows 98.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 AM

898 posts, read 1,239,260 times
Both seem to have their following. Myself, I prefer Ubuntu.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Both seem to have their following. Myself, I prefer Ubuntu.
That's nice, but this thread has nothing to do with linux, it's a comparison of Windows and OSX. I always get a kick out of the linux fanboys that just have to stick their OS up everyones rear end

Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's nice, but this thread has nothing to do with linux, it's a comparison of Windows and OSX. I always get a kick out of the linux fanboys that just have to stick their OS up everyones rear end
Good grief. Picky aren't we? How about this. Long live MS-DOS!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Good grief. Picky aren't we? How about this. Long live MS-DOS!
Not picky at all, stating an observation, it happens time and time again and is almost inevitable. Someone posts to get help with Windows and a linux weenie comes along with the fix all solution, switch to linux, it got old a long time ago. Can you tell me what you using linux has to do with the topic of this thread?

Old 06-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not picky at all, stating an observation, it happens time and time again and is almost inevitable. Someone posts to get help with Windows and a linux weenie comes along with the fix all solution, switch to linux, it got old a long time ago. Can you tell me what you using linux has to do with the topic of this thread?
You make some wicked big assumptions based on the two sentences I wrote above. Can you tell me what you complaining about me stating my opinion has to do with the thread?

Windows vs Mac, it's like Democrat vs Republican, people forget that those aren't the only options. As an IT guy, I try to use them all, just to get to know each one. They've all got their following, their pros, and cons.

Any rate, Windows seems to win over home users, but Macs seem to win in Academia.

Last edited by melinuxfool; 06-14-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or