U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 38.37%
Some version of Windows 35 40.70%
Neither one 6 6.98%
Both 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,573,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Better start imagining it then. A large number of IT departments of large corporations have done just that. Ask Dell. You think it makes some kind of difference that Dell doesn't make the OS that runs the computer? I can't imagine how.
Not the same thing. There are options other than Dell that will run the same software. If I don't like Dell's price, I'll go to HP or another competitor. There is not an alternative to apple. If I want to run OSX but don't want to pay for apples overpriced hardware I'm out of luck.

The cost of large corporation to switch apple is astronomical. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,799,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Not the same thing. There are options other than Dell that will run the same software. If I don't like Dell's price, I'll go to HP or another competitor. There is not an alternative to apple. If I want to run OSX but don't want to pay for apples overpriced hardware I'm out of luck.

The cost of large corporation to switch apple is astronomical. Plain and simple.
I agree as well.

My Mac Mini died just after its warranty expired (probable hard drive failure) and, I will be damned if I am paying $$$ for the one modular Apple machine (Mac Pro) so I went back to Windows.

At least; my new machine has 4 Gig of RAM to keep Vista in line

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,414 times
Bowie,

Yes that is a very interesting point of view. So, IBM was right all along with their mainframes and dumb terminals. I guess they were just ahead of their time.

Or you can look at it like going full circle. We've gone from central processing to distributed networking with dumb terminals to distributed wide area networking with smart terminals and now back to central processing with smart terminals. Only we call it Cloud Computing.

And the OS becomes less significant. Good point.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post

And one of those options "other than Dell that will run the same software" is Apple's hardware.

Astronomical to you and me maybe, but to a large corporation it's not even a decimal shift. And, it's pretty much money they are already spending. Like I said already, what keeps it from happening is that Apple isn't going after that market competitively. They could, and probably will when the time is right. That could be sooner than we think. The company is building momentum. A very few corporations are not waiting, but are converting now. And, we are talking about a computer company that has considerable engineering prowess and much in the way of intellectual property assets. If they decided to out cheap Dell, they'll do it and make more money at it than Dell ever did.

I just don't think that Windows, and the legacy software associated with it, is compelling enough to secure the loyalty of corporations over the long haul in the face of a declining and grossly underperforming Microsoft. I think that if Apple does nothing, the shift from Windows will happen, but much more slowly and toward Unix for the most part.

Of course it's possible that Microsoft will eventually get their act together and put together a successful roll out of a future version of Windows, too. At this point it doesn't look like it, but it could happen.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:39 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
Bull Winkus, when it came to computers in the business world, the catch-phrase used to be "no one got fired for buying IBM". It morphed in the late 80's or early 90's to "no one got fired for buying Microsoft". That shift happened because PCs and servers replaced typewriters, seven-column accountant pads, desktop calculators, and some/most main-frames.

Corporate inertia exists and is huge -- they won't change just because Apple has a more convenient O/S.

What's the paradigm shift that will happen to make the phrase change to "no one got fired for buying Apple"

Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
What's the paradigm shift that will happen to make the phrase change to "no one got fired for buying Apple"
djmilf,

I think I've already answered that, at least from my opinion. Microsoft is going down. They still pull in lots of money, but produce failure after failure when it comes to their growth strategies. The stock is slipping and investors are loosing faith. Corporations have no loyalty, and there really isn't as much switching cost built into the Windows OS for corporations as it is for individuals. Of the thousands of computers in a given corporation, more than 3/4 are simply being used as smart terminals. Besides Windows, they use only a few apps like Office and Outlook Express. Microsoft's hegemony is being supplanted by Apple's, so the only thing left to happen is for Apple to pursue that market and they will get it.

For fear of repeating myself too much, I'll just say review my previous posts on this thread. I explained it a little better there. While I am a Mac user and an AAPL investor, I'm not simply a blathering fanboy. I've been following the industry from the late '70s. I understand it all too well. I post this projection as a heads up to all those who have no idea that it's coming. I don't know when for certain, but IMHO it will be fully apparent to everyone that Apple is going for it by 2012 and to insiders by the end of 2010. When they do, a decade later it will be apparent that they were successful.

Of course this is just my opinion, FWIW. But, it's based on the relative strengths and weaknesses between both companies and where this market is today. I'll be happy to entertain opposing views.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
You're smoking crack if you think the entire business world is going to switch over to Apple. No one wants a single supplier to anything as critical as their entire IT infrastructure. If Microsoft ever fell apart, I'd see businesses moving to Linux on the desktop in large numbers before marrying themselves to Apple.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:39 PM

So it's the old "You're smoking crack" argument, eigh?

I really don't understand your "No one wants a single supplier" bit. HP and Dell wont stop selling computers if Apple starts gaining traction in the corporate IT market place, so what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me.

And since the IT infrastructure is critical to the business structure, that actually supports my claim that corporations will abandon a failing Microsoft.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
You can switch from an HP running your Windows apps to a Dell running your Windows apps like you can change your shoes. It doesn't really matter what name is on the box because Windows PCs are basically a commodity. Switching between a Windows PC and a mac running OSX apps is a whole different ball game. Who's the IT director that wants to lay his company over a barrel for Steve Jobs to have his way when them? Once you commit to Apple, Apple owns you. You can't easily switch to another vendor the way you can with PC boxes. The PC market is so competitive because they all know how easy it is for their customers to buy someone else's hardware. No so with Apple. Once you drink the Apple Kool Aid, you're stuck with one supplier for your OS and hardware.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:48 PM

So, basically you're saying the OS doesn't matter as much as the hardware. It's important for IT to have vendor diversity in hardware, but as for the OS it's OK to be totally dependent on one company, even if that company is stagnating like ancient communist China.

If vendor diversity for the OS doesn't matter as much as it does for the hardware, then Apple or Linux or Unix could fill the bill just as readily as Microsoft.

And, who's to say that under such conditions of growth in market share Apple wouldn't license its OS once again. For any OS to gain more than 50% market share, it will have to be available off the shelf, presumably for installation on any compatible hardware. From Apple's point of view, gaining market share without cannibalizing their own hardware sales is the ticket. You don't think they can do that?

The company is well differentiated in the market place already. The software bundle that comes pre installed on Macs doesn't have to be included in an off the shelf OS license. Apple can make big money on licenses just like Microsoft does if the volume is high enough. Then the more OS licenses they sell, the bigger their market is for their other software products such as iLife, iWork, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Server, Final Cut Express, Logic Studio, Logic Express, Shake, Apple Remote Desktop, Xsan and Mac OS X Server. And, don't forget MobileMe, the subscription Internet service that ties the Mail, Address Book and Calender functions together across multiple platforms including the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Getting the picture yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or