U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 38.37%
Some version of Windows 35 40.70%
Neither one 6 6.98%
Both 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times

Advertisements

You're forgetting one important part of the Apple equation: Steve Jobs. He's a dictator and a control freak. What's the first thing he did when he got back control of Apple? Killed the clones. What's the deal with iPhone apps having to be approved by Apple and distributed through them? What's the deal with actively fighting anyone who dares to unlock or jailbreak their iPhone. Steve doesn't like the wild west openness of the Windows PC environment. He wants to control every aspect of the Apple environment. Apple will never sell OSX down at Best Buy for installation on any PC hardware or let other companies sell mac clones as long as he's in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
Oh... you're too much. I give.

Apple is at its pinnacle right now. They are not going to continue to perform as they have up to this point, because Steve Jobs doesn't know what he is doing. They just got lucky so far. It'll never last. Yadda, yadda, yadda... I get it.

Windows is great. Long live that wild west wacky Balmer!

Yeah?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's the deal with iPhone apps having to be approved by Apple and distributed through them?
I believe that is partly AT&T's doing. The phone companies don't want certain their networks used for certain types of traffic. (VoIP comes to mind. Tethering appears to be another use that AT&T doesn't want.)

Quote:
What's the deal with actively fighting anyone who dares to unlock or jailbreak their iPhone.
That's just Apple protecting its bottom line. Apple gets a percentage of monthly subscriber revenue from AT&T. When a phone is jailbroken and used on another carrier, Apple loses out on that revenue.

Last edited by Bo; 08-14-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Just another "HEADS UP!" to all you Windows fans out there. - Bull

Apple Tops Google Market Cap as IPhones Beat Ads: Chart of Day

By Amy Thomson
Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc., the svelte computer maker turned mobile-phone innovator, surpassed Google Inc.'s market value for the first time yesterday as investors await proof the Internet company can turn new projects into money-makers.

<snip>

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4Uc&refer=home

Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 AM

A chip too far?

The latest microchips have gotten so complicated that companies from Microsoft to Apple to Intel say software writers can't keep up. The result could hurt computer sales.

By Michael Copeland, senior writer
August 14, 2008: 5:47 AM EDT

(Fortune Magazine) -- Could faster chips translate into slower computers? That's the sales-threatening prospect furrowing brows in every corner of the PC business, from industry titans such as Intel, Microsoft, and Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) to major centers of academe.

<snip>

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/13/technology/microchips_copeland.fortune/index.htm

Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
A chip too far?

The latest microchips have gotten so complicated that companies from Microsoft to Apple to Intel say software writers can't keep up. The result could hurt computer sales.

By Michael Copeland, senior writer
August 14, 2008: 5:47 AM EDT

(Fortune Magazine) -- Could faster chips translate into slower computers? That's the sales-threatening prospect furrowing brows in every corner of the PC business, from industry titans such as Intel, Microsoft, and Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) to major centers of academe.

<snip>

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/13/technology/microchips_copeland.fortune/index.htm

Not surprising to be honest. Actual programmers have been going the way of the dodo for many years now. Most are referred to as "coders" these days. Simply people who have learned the syntax to a language and can write simplistic routines and procedures. When it comes to actual design and structure, they are often clueless and lost.

Whats sad is most universities teach very poor practices in software development as well. Again, they are 90 day wonder courses teaching people the syntax and some very basics of software structure and function. Often most of the lower level programming theory is rushed over in order to get on to the high level languages creating software developers who can only think as far as the next tool set written for them by IDE developers.

In my opinoin, it is a product of a dwindling educational system. Fewer and fewer people were going into the sciences when I was in school, so they starting developing "lighter" programs that didn't require as much core knowledge of the subjects. It allowed more people to take the classes and actually pass, but all it produced was a bunch of people who appeared qualified, but in reality were far from it. /shrug

Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,618,955 times
I work at a university in the I.T. department and I have noticed more kids with apples than not. These are future I.T. people, future CEOs and whatever else. So if they are won over, that will eventually translate to more work environments adopting apple. I have also notices a LOT of university departments are starting to adopt apple environments. I don't know how well this will translate to the business world though. That part remains to be seen. Apple is the new black right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not surprising to be honest. Actual programmers have been going the way of the dodo for many years now. Most are referred to as "coders" these days. Simply people who have learned the syntax to a language and can write simplistic routines and procedures. When it comes to actual design and structure, they are often clueless and lost.

Whats sad is most universities teach very poor practices in software development as well. Again, they are 90 day wonder courses teaching people the syntax and some very basics of software structure and function. Often most of the lower level programming theory is rushed over in order to get on to the high level languages creating software developers who can only think as far as the next tool set written for them by IDE developers.

In my opinoin, it is a product of a dwindling educational system. Fewer and fewer people were going into the sciences when I was in school, so they starting developing "lighter" programs that didn't require as much core knowledge of the subjects. It allowed more people to take the classes and actually pass, but all it produced was a bunch of people who appeared qualified, but in reality were far from it. /shrug
a lot of programs have been revamping themselves. As you have pointed out, people are leaving college and going into the field not knowing what they are doing because of poor instruction.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I work at a university in the I.T. department and I have noticed more kids with apples than not. These are future I.T. people, future CEOs and whatever else. So if they are won over, that will eventually translate to more work environments adopting apple. I have also notices a LOT of university departments are starting to adopt apple environments. I don't know how well this will translate to the business world though. That part remains to be seen. Apple is the new black right now.
Maybe its the new "old". But Apple has always been the dominant OS in education from my experience. However, that was also from a desktop stand point.

In the corporate environment, its the backend that drives the IT decision making (mail servers, DB Server, etc.). And now with virtualization and remote desktops... I don't see how Apple can compete in the corporate world.... I can take a few beefy boxes, attach it to a SAN, run ESX and serve both MS/Linux servers and desktops..... at that point, all I need at the client level are thin-clients.

I simply do not see a mainstream alternative from Apple at this point. Not to mention most corporate software is written with Windows clients first....

As an Apple fan though, I'll stick to my MBP and MacPro..... but I'm connecting to a MS world in Exchange, AD, Office, SharePoint, etc....

My take - Apple will always be a niche market.... maybe even the preferred OS among home users.... but in the corporate world? They would need a whole new business division to gear towards that.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
You never can tell. There might be a third possibility. For example, who would've thought this would happen: Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Vendors Rally While Windows Sleeps

Mike Elgan, Computerworld
Aug 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Dell, Intel and their partners announced last week new technologies that represent major leaps forward for mobility. The companies seem to have discovered the secret to making such bold leaps: Cut Microsoft out of the deal.

<snip>

PC World - Vendors Rally While Windows Sleeps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or