U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 38.37%
Some version of Windows 35 40.70%
Neither one 6 6.98%
Both 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 PM

7,852 posts, read 15,037,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post

If you think Mac market share is declining, then you obviously haven't checked within the last few years. Apple's market share is growing very fast.
OK...here you're correct. The last year they have seen good growth...to a whopping 8% total market share, but you're absolutely right and I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
Hey, different strokes for different folks. It is what makes a market.

I used to tell my daughter, about the kinds of movies and other entertainment she used to watch as a young teen, "You are what you watch." I think the meaning was lost on her, but what I was trying to get her to understand was that we make our own experiences by the choices we make. IMHO, that holds true for a lot of things in life. Even, as in this case, with the computers we choose.

OK, I know I'm starting to sound like a wack job, but as tools go, computers are different. It's the information-appliance aspect that makes it more personal than the average hammer or log splitter. Because it is complex and because we become evolved with the tool as we adapt its complexity to our needs, we become part of the identity of the tool itself just as it becomes part of our identity.

I evolved to use a Macintosh as my computer tool, and you evolved to use a Windows OS product, and that's really all there is to it. I say all this because I wanted to explain my point of view, even though quite opposite yours, as being equally legitimate yet not in conflict with your own.

The way I see what you describe as "try way to hard to win over the trendy teen and college crowd" as their tendency to want to design computers in a way that form follows function. When I look at the aluminum enclosure iMac now before me, all I see is the 20" display that is brightly lit with whatever I'm working on at the time. I know that it is capable of 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution with millions of colors and that every minute of time that I use it, it is set to 1680 x 1050 pixels.

At work, I see all of my colleagues using Windows XP and to the last one they all dumb down the monitor to a lower resolution to make the text bigger because Windows doesn't display correctly for them unless they do.

I simply make a few adjustments in the OS and keep my monitor at its highest resolution. It's a small thing, but it's important to me. The form and function of the high resolution monitor is compromised by the choice my colleagues make. Is that because they use Windows?

Also, I see a computer that has everything, and it is all compactly and neatly built into the display itself. There is no bulky box full of air and fans under my desk. My whole computer is little more than an inch thick and is v e r y q u i e t. Built in, it has 8x DVDRW, 320GB HD, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 256 MB VRAM on an ATI video card. It has both Firewire 400 and 800, USB 2.0, and Gigabit Ethernet. It came with a full complement of extremely high quality software, and the stock OS completes incremental backups of the internal drive to an external drive every hour, and every backup is retained until the external drive gets full, when the oldest backups are incrementally deleted as space is needed. Restores are file by file and easily accessible. I paid one price and took it home knowing full well that what I described above was what I was getting without having to run the gauntlet of options and their drivers, and then having to troubleshoot the wad under my desk.

It is simply form follows function. I like that.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,372,356 times
I opted for a Mac. Mine is nearly 6 years old. It is online 24/7. I've never had a virus or a Kernnel Panic - that's a BSOD to Windows folds. It hasn't locked up more than a dozen times - if that much.. I currently have four OS loaded. I can't complain.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
That's another thing I like about owning a Macintosh. You are not restricted to just some version of Windows. No limits. No boundaries. And I still use OS X.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I opted for a Mac. Mine is nearly 6 years old. It is online 24/7. I've never had a virus or a Kernnel Panic - that's a BSOD to Windows folds. It hasn't locked up more than a dozen times - if that much.. I currently have four OS loaded. I can't complain.

My vista machine according to my uptime counter is showing 14d 21h 27m and some odd seconds. Only reason why I restarted it a couple weeks ago was due to a major program being uninstalled after the trial version ran out (archicad)

Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
My vista machine according to my uptime counter is showing 14d 21h 27m and some odd seconds. Only reason why I restarted it a couple weeks ago was due to a major program being uninstalled after the trial version ran out (archicad)
Same here. I've had 2000 and XP machines log uptimes in the months before Microsoft started pushing patches every month requiring reboots. Windows is pretty damn stable if you don't feed it junk like Norton or Apple software. Most of the time if something's wrong its either faulty 3rd party software or a hardware problem. Vista has a new tool called the Reliability Monitor that tracks your system stability over time. My system is currently scoring a 9.98 out of 10. Of course this is a system I built myself out of good quality parts which probably helps.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Same here. I've had 2000 and XP machines log uptimes in the months before Microsoft started pushing patches every month requiring reboots. Windows is pretty damn stable if you don't feed it junk like Norton or Apple software. Most of the time if something's wrong its either faulty 3rd party software or a hardware problem. Vista has a new tool called the Reliability Monitor that tracks your system stability over time. My system is currently scoring a 9.98 out of 10. Of course this is a system I built myself out of good quality parts which probably helps.

I never buy pre-built computers, they tend to grab the bottom of the barrel parts and slap em in.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,569,515 times
My daughter has a Vista Machine. I don't like it.

I just spent over $3k on a Macbook Pro (+software/accessories) this weekend. I will stick with the Mac OS for a few years.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,574,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Windows is pretty damn stable if you don't feed it junk like Norton or Apple software.
Apple software? What Apple software are you using on your Windows machine?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Apple software? What Apple software are you using on your Windows machine?
quick time, Itunes and several other programs are developed by apple computers for use with windows.

I dont have any problems with any of them though on my Vista machine which is very stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or