U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 38.37%
Some version of Windows 35 40.70%
Neither one 6 6.98%
Both 12 13.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
quick time, Itunes and several other programs are developed by apple computers for use with windows.

I dont have any problems with any of them though on my Vista machine which is very stable.
Itunes is some of the worst software I've come across, right up there with AOL, Norton, and McAfee. Every time they have a major new release, it screws up tons of computer. Always wait for the x.03 or later before upgrading. Itunes, like Apple in general, doesn't play nice with others and often breaks a computer's ability to burn CD/DVDs and sometimes even breaks access to the optical drives completely (they don't show up in My Computer). Maybe Apple thinks that if they sabotage enough Windows computers with their crappy software, people will blame Microsoft or HP and buy a mac.

Oh, and lets not forget Apple's updater downloading and installing Safari automatically behind users' backs. Thanks! When Microsoft gave away a free browser they got sued. When Apple infects people with software they didn't ask for, no one seems to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 AM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Itunes is some of the worst software I've come across, right up there with AOL, Norton, and McAfee. Every time they have a major new release, it screws up tons of computer. Always wait for the x.03 or later before upgrading. Itunes, like Apple in general, doesn't play nice with others and often breaks a computer's ability to burn CD/DVDs and sometimes even breaks access to the optical drives completely (they don't show up in My Computer). Maybe Apple thinks that if they sabotage enough Windows computers with their crappy software, people will blame Microsoft or HP and buy a mac.

Oh, and lets not forget Apple's updater downloading and installing Safari automatically behind users' backs. Thanks! When Microsoft gave away a free browser they got sued. When Apple infects people with software they didn't ask for, no one seems to care.
I have NEVER had a problem using Itunes, I have had it installed since I first purchased my 1st gen I pod. the Apple updater always asks me which parts I want to install when they release updates. I choose not to install safari or Mobileme. There is no options in the apple update to install anything automatically, and its default is to ask to install anything before completing any downloads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I have NEVER had a problem using Itunes, I have had it installed since I first purchased my 1st gen I pod. the Apple updater always asks me which parts I want to install when they release updates. I choose not to install safari or Mobileme. There is no options in the apple update to install anything automatically, and its default is to ask to install anything before completing any downloads.
Well I see lots of computers and lots of problems with iTunes. And every time I see Safari on someone's desktop, I ask them if they installed it or if they wanted it and no one seems to have any idea how it got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well I see lots of computers and lots of problems with iTunes. And every time I see Safari on someone's desktop, I ask them if they installed it or if they wanted it and no one seems to have any idea how it got there.
that someone is not reading when the update window pops up.

here is what it looks like.



there are little checkboxes to the left, uncheck it and it WILL NOT INSTALL the software. Sorry if I sound a bit cranky today, I am. (I hate colds.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
that someone is not reading when the update window pops up.

here is what it looks like.



there are little checkboxes to the left, uncheck it and it WILL NOT INSTALL the software. Sorry if I sound a bit cranky today, I am. (I hate colds.)
I don't have Apple's updater even running on my PC but I have seen that Window. I remember it just being one list, not two sections like your's and Safari was listed with iTunes and Quicktime updates. I wonder if Apple changed the dialog. Of course given the amount of spyware on people's computers, its obvious plenty of people just blindly click anything that pops up on their screen and I'm sure Apple counts on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't have Apple's updater even running on my PC but I have seen that Window. I remember it just being one list, not two sections like your's and Safari was listed with iTunes and Quicktime updates. I wonder if Apple changed the dialog. Of course given the amount of spyware on people's computers, its obvious plenty of people just blindly click anything that pops up on their screen and I'm sure Apple counts on that.
this updater has been this way for several years now. Before that you had to go to apples web page to download anything of a newer version. Safari was only offered in a windows format starting earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Detroit Downriver
620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
Reputation: 403
Apple MacBook Review: Part 1 : Introduction

Source: Tom's Hardware US

By: Alan Dang


Introduction

I never had a good reason to switch to a Mac. Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Vista x64 had all served me well. My systems were always hand-built with the best-of-class components. For almost a decade, the only motherboards I used were from Abit, Asus, DFI, Gigabyte, Intel, or Tyan. The only memory modules in my system were from Corsair, OCZ Technology, or Intel-supplied FB-DIMMs using Micron or Samsung modules. My preferred power supply manufacturers? Silverstone, PC Power&Cooling, and Corsair.

<snip>

I had no plans to switch from Windows to Macintosh permanently. All of my data had been stored on NTFS-formatted external drives and all my applications were for Windows. I was too careful, too savvy, and too poor to switch to a Mac.
It was only supposed to be an experiment.
It was only supposed to be one month.
But it happened anyway. I’ve switched to a Mac.

<snip>

Apple MacBook Review: Part 1 : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: kcmo
712 posts, read 1,963,624 times
Reputation: 373
He'll switch back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Detroit Downriver
620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
Reputation: 403
Apple MacBook Review: Part 2 : The Mac OS X Operating System

Source: Tom's Hardware US

By: Allen Dang

The Mac OS X Operating System

You can’t talk about a Mac notebook or desktop without talking about Mac OS X. For the uninitiated, Apple has had a steady stream of operating system releases starting with 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger, and 10.5 Leopard. While 10.1 was a free upgrade for 10.0 users, each operating system release thereafter has required a purchase, typically $129 ($109 street) for a single user license, $199 for a 5-pack family license ($139 street), and $69 from an on-campus bookstore.

<snip>

Responsiveness
When the iPhone was first launched, one of the most impressive features was the speed and responsiveness compared to other smartphones with the mobile Web at the time. Working with Mac OS X provides the same overall level of fit-and-finish as the iPhone. Opening multiple windows, navigating between them, and launching applications is simply faster in Mac OS X as compared to Windows Vista or even Linux. This wasn’t always the case with Macs. Even when the GPU-accelerated interface was introduced in OS X 10.2, Windows XP was still the faster performing operating system. As GPUs have continued to get faster and faster, however, the OS X’s full GPU-dependent interface beats the capabilities of Windows Vista.

<snip>

Apple MacBook Review: Part 2 : The Mac OS X Operating System - Review Tom's Hardware
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
 
10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Reputation: 10244
I can't stand iTunes, the GF has it on my laptop, every time she updates I have to go in and remove the mobile device support, apple update program, mobile device services, bonjour, and other services and startup crap that it loads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top