Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 37.50%
Some version of Windows 37 42.05%
Neither one 6 6.82%
Both 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,836 times

Advertisements

Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next Zune
May 9th, 2009

This is a particularly prescient piece. Don't let the title fool you. The following is just an excerpt. - Bull Winkus

Daniel Eran Dilger

Every once and a while I get the opportunity to appear brilliantly prescient by pointing out something that is blatantly obvious but which has been so obscured by valiant marketing efforts that it makes me look like a grand wizard at detecting emperor nakedness just to say it. In this case, it’s that Windows 7 is becoming the next Zune.

Much more at:
Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next Zune — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I have NEVER had a problem using Itunes, I have had it installed since I first purchased my 1st gen I pod. the Apple updater always asks me which parts I want to install when they release updates. I choose not to install safari or Mobileme. There is no options in the apple update to install anything automatically, and its default is to ask to install anything before completing any downloads.
Yes, the Mac OS, being a derivative of Unix, famously won't allow anything to be downloaded or installed without user permission (which makes it more 'hacker-proof'). And Itunes is truly about as intuitive and "dummy-proof" as it comes (although there will always be "challengers")!

Dunno about the "who's winning" part, although the iPhone is apparently creating alot of converts. But having used both Macs & PCs for years as an artist in a corporate environment, I usually tell folks that there's probably little difference if you're mostly just gonna use one application at a time, like Word or Excel, etc..

But one of the reasons Macs are so popular among artists is the fact that most art projects usually involve working on and moving multiple files & artwork back and forth between several different apps (page layout, vector graphics, photo editing, video, animation, html, etc.), often within the same task. And the Mac handles this flow seamlessly, especially when using different fonts, while on the PC, not as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,123 times
Being a developer I'm experienced with both platforms, but I'd have to say with the newcoming releasing of Windows 7 it's far better than OS X. Now I try not to be an evangelist of any platform, I just like Windows better. It isn't idiot proof like OS X is and actually makes you think and take care of your system.

Also I am highly opposed to buying Apple hardware. I don't like being restricted to product lines, unless they're laptops, which I clearly cannot build since DIY laptops are scarce. I also don't like the whole 'Apple Community' thing, while there are a lot of Mac users that aren't zealots, I clearly cannot stand people who try and tell me a platforms better. From using OS X for the last 4 years developing and updating software my opinion is forumulated.

Overall it's a nice system, don't get my wrong, I just believe it is overrated.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM

I hear ya. And, I understand completely. From a developer point of view, it is much easier to develop for a system that places little restriction on the programmer. You don't have to learn hundreds of calls or have your work be dependent on someone else's work which can and often does change within a year.

But, from a user perspective, the consistency across the OS and various programs written for it is worth putting up with the product line constrictions and sometimes limited 3rd party support. Windows, in all its variants, does a pretty good job as an OS. And, if you're not a newbie or you have very specific, targeted tasks for your computer use, and "pretty good" is your cup of tea, then it will do nicely.

On the other hand, if you like 'form follows function' as a design mantra, prefer to sleep where the doors can remain unlocked, marvel at technical over achievement, and prefer to be on the cutting edge of technology trends, Macs and OS X will satisfy the palate much better than Windows and [insert computer brand here].

Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,080 times
Quote:
prefer to sleep where the doors can remain unlocked,
I hope you are not implying that a Mac is immune to security threats with that comment.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I hope you are not implying that a Mac is immune to security threats with that comment.
My brother believes it, as a Mac user. He also bought a radar detector once, and thought he was invisible. Got 3 tickets in 5 months. It's that type of thinking that will get you in trouble, eventually.

I used Macs for graphics, sign design...also used PC for the same...I like them both. Yet Macs are geared for design, though your Raid servers for archiving are usually PC or UNIX. Mac servers are $$$, not cost effective.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Depends on what you are implying in your response.

Immune is not the proper term to describe any socially networked digital device, let alone an operating system for a computer attached to the Internet.

There's really not much room for discussion here. We all know Windows' history with malware. I know that when you're coming from a place of acceptance of constantly being under siege as normal, it is difficult to imagine that there exists another environment where circumstances are quite placid. However, the fact remains that after many years of use in the populist culture, the record of the Mac OS and malware remains relatively untarnished.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Depends on what you are implying in your response.

Immune is not the proper term to describe any socially networked digital device, let alone an operating system for a computer attached to the Internet.

There's really not much room for discussion here. We all know Windows' history with malware. I know that when you're coming from a place of acceptance of constantly being under siege as normal, it is difficult to imagine that there exists another environment where circumstances are quite placid. However, the fact remains that after many years of use in the populist culture, the record of the Mac OS and malware remains relatively untarnished.
A good reason for that is the market share. Many of the hackers and virus producers are doing it for notoriety among other things. Why attack a little known OS when you have the big dog on the street that would get you instant notoriety?

BTW, there have been several destructive viruses written for for the mac in the past few years.
Along with Mac gaining some market share, an increase in Viruses is bound to happen.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
A good reason for that is the market share. Many of the hackers and virus producers are doing it for notoriety among other things. Why attack a little known OS when you have the big dog on the street that would get you instant notoriety?

BTW, there have been several destructive viruses written for for the mac in the past few years.
Along with Mac gaining some market share, an increase in Viruses is bound to happen.
You are correct that the market share that Apple commands in the computing world does have something to do with the lack of viruses aimed towards Macs, however, there is another important factor; Apple takes a pro-active stance with keeping OSX 'safe' by issuing security updates at least once a month. Basically, whenever a vulnerable spot is located, a fix is issued to take care of the problem. The interesting thing here is that many of these vulnerabilities are found by hobbyist programmers from within the 'Mac Community' who inform Apple of what they find.

Anther thing is that Apple releases a new version of OSX every one to three years (depending on which point of the OSX timeline you are looking at). While the basic functionality of OSX may remain the same between releases, there are many aspects of the new release -including added security features- that are improved upon.

What does Microsoft do? I am not saying that to be condescending. I am generally curious. It seems to me that all MS does is release their OS and then leave it up to third-party software developers to to 'fix' the problem(s).

Yes, there are viruses geared towards Macs. Always have been. However the record of infected Macs versus infected Windows based machines are rather slim. Does it happen? Yes. Does it happen as frequently as it does with a Windows machine? Not by a long-shot. Does that make Macs safer? Not really, but the likely hood of catching something is pretty small.

There was a good amount of speculation that when Apple went Intel there would be an increase in viruses geared towards Macs. It didn't happen. At least not yet. Of interesting note; your Mac is just as vulnerable to attacks while you are using Windows just as much as any other PC using Windows is vulnerable to attacks.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You are correct that the market share that Apple commands in the computing world does have something to do with the lack of viruses aimed towards Macs, however, there is another important factor; Apple takes a pro-active stance with keeping OSX 'safe' by issuing security updates at least once a month. Basically, whenever a vulnerable spot is located, a fix is issued to take care of the problem. The interesting thing here is that many of these vulnerabilities are found by hobbyist programmers from within the 'Mac Community' who inform Apple of what they find.

Anther thing is that Apple releases a new version of OSX every one to three years (depending on which point of the OSX timeline you are looking at). While the basic functionality of OSX may remain the same between releases, there are many aspects of the new release -including added security features- that are improved upon.

What does Microsoft do? I am not saying that to be condescending. I am generally curious. It seems to me that all MS does is release their OS and then leave it up to third-party software developers to to 'fix' the problem(s).
Yes, there are viruses geared towards Macs. Always have been. However the record of infected Macs versus infected Windows based machines are rather slim. Does it happen? Yes. Does it happen as frequently as it does with a Windows machine? Not by a long-shot. Does that make Macs safer? Not really, but the likely hood of catching something is pretty small.

There was a good amount of speculation that when Apple went Intel there would be an increase in viruses geared towards Macs. It didn't happen. At least not yet. Of interesting note; your Mac is just as vulnerable to attacks while you are using Windows just as much as any other PC using Windows is vulnerable to attacks.
Microsoft has been lax in its OS upgrades as of late, but it seems to be changing. There are regular updates, most happen in the middle of the night through the update center so most users do not even notice they do happen unless you change the default settings through the upgrade center. I run a virus scanner for the added security, as well as a second firewall on top of the windows firewall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers