U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

When looking for laser printers you want (need!) to check somethings for comparison.

1. Expected number of pages per toner cartridge (usually listed at 5% coverage)

2. Cost of cartridge (divide cost of cartridge by expected number of pages to get $ per page)

3. Cost to replace drum and expected life of drum.

4. Features - do you need duplexing? Do you want it to connect to the network by cable or wireless? Is connecting via USB or parallel sufficient? How many sheets does it hold? How many sheets can be added by buying extra trays?

5. Do local stores carry the brand and toner cartridges for the printer?

If you buy a laser buy a set of toner cartridges with it. The ones in the printer aren't going to last long. Just like ink jets, they don't put a full cart in when they sell them.

Brands?

We have:

A couple of HP 952c's
A Samsung color/duplex laser networked
A B/W Lexmark laser
An HP OfficeJet d that I can't remember the model number for, but I think d145.
An HP Photosmart color that does printing on CDs (Also can't remember the model number)

We've had good luck with all these.

Got an error once on the OfficeJet that the ink carts were too old. I had been using the laser and let the HP sit. I knew the carts were basically full, so I went Googling. Found out the printer keeps track of when the carts are installed and has a battery in it to keep that info. Turned off the printer, found the battery, took it out for minute or so, put it back in and voila - good carts! Take that greedy HP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 AM

225 posts, read 974,516 times
Thanks again Tek. Your information is very helpful and I appreciate it. My printing needs are pretty simple: letters/document, photos, and color copies. This is just for home use and not even on a daily basis. It's just that I would want a good quality printer (inkjet or laser) that will actually PRINT the whole image/document and not conitnuously jam the paper. The model I have must be the "low end" of the product line and has caused nothing but problems. I'm ready for a new printer which is why I was asking everyone for their recommendations and experiences.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I once read a string (this was a few years ago) that if you get a really cheap printer, the cost of ink will more than make up for what you spend on a printer that cost more. I don't know if that is still the case, but maybe I can ask around.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM

Wandering,

Just for chuckles flip the paper over.

Most paper has a different tooth on each side and having the slickest side towards the rollers can cause jams.

Brian,

Yes. Manufacturers give you the printer and rip you on ink, which is why I point ink jet buyers to Kodak. Their new printers have low cost refills.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I'd heard that Office Depot (I called it Dee Pot) tends to charge a bit less on ink and also has a larger supply for all the various printers out there. Is that your experience, or do you order your ink?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM

I search the Internet for pricing and buy from whoever has the best price. I never buy "replacement" inks. Sometimes Amazon, sometimes Newegg, on occasion locally because of a sale.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM

19,116 posts, read 19,973,511 times
I've had good luck with HP, currently using a 2840 All In One that gets worked pretty hard and a older ink jet that has been pretty faithful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or