U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:12 PM

225 posts, read 974,595 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop with a Lexmark Z43 printer. I personally hate this printer with such a passion. Can anyone recommend a good quality color printer (used for printing b/w letters-word documents, color photos, color printing) that does not cost hundreds of dollars and is fairly easy to use? With the one I have now the paper is always jamming even though I "fluff" it and do not put in too much, the printing is awful, and it just does a horrible job. I am sure I got the lowend of the printer line when I got it but at the time I needed a printer and this was the one available. Any info would be appreciated and as always "Thank you" in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
I can only say I despise HP, mainly because of their bloated crash prone drivers and software, have seen it cause no end of problems.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:10 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I tend to go to newegg.com and do a search on the products I'm looking for.

Once you have a list you can sort by Best Rating and read reviews,

Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks Tek, I will give them a try.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
I agree that HP printer software leaves something to be desired. I've also seen a printer that had such a poorly designed interface that the incredibly long write delays experienced when using USB could only be solved by switching to parallel. That was no help on a new laptop with no parallel port. I've seen consistently good results with Lexmark printers.

In my experience, ink jet printers in general wear out more quickly than laser printers. Businesses know that laser printers are cheaper to operate when cost of the printer AND the ink/toner are tallied up over the life of the printer. If you can do it, look for a small personal color laser printer.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I agree that HP printer software leaves something to be desired. I've also seen a printer that had such a poorly designed interface that the incredibly long write delays experienced when using USB could only be solved by switching to parallel. That was no help on a new laptop with no parallel port. I've seen consistently good results with Lexmark printers.

In my experience, ink jet printers in general wear out more quickly than laser printers. Businesses know that laser printers are cheaper to operate when cost of the printer AND the ink/toner are tallied up over the life of the printer. If you can do it, look for a small personal color laser printer.
Agreed.
Dell Outlet is a great place to buy refurbished laser printers with full warranty and support.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Laser printers? Hmmm, OK. I will look into that more. Is the Lexmark model I have just a bad one and some of their others are better?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
Laser printers? Hmmm, OK. I will look into that more. Is the Lexmark model I have just a bad one and some of their others are better?
The one you have is an ink jet printer. You can no more compare that to a laser printer than you can compare a bicycle to a pickup truck. Two entirely different kinds of machinery.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
My wife got a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 842C and has been satisfied with it. She says they use HP at work as well -- no complaints. The one at work is a laser printer, though.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM

1,751 posts, read 6,158,554 times
I have a few HPs and have never had a problem with them. But they're not of the cheaper variety and both are wireless. I would recommend that you go for a bit higher end and purchase a multi-function device, primarily geared toward photo printing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or