U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:10 AM

34,323 posts, read 59,663,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Sounds good except for the part about booting from the USB drive. USB is WAY slower than IDE or SATA so I'm not sure how well Windows is going to run over a slow connection like that.
Yeah, I went cheap and didn't get Firewire.
It's a trial and I will upgrade if I can't find joy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah, I went cheap and didn't get Firewire.
It's a trial and I will upgrade if I can't find joy.

Thanks.
If the trial works, you might want to look into getting a hard drive with an eSata interface. You can get a SATA to eSATA adapter for each desktop PC for a couple of bucks since its just a cable. Then you'd have the hard drive portable but also running at full speed without the USB bottleneck.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If the trial works, you might want to look into getting a hard drive with an eSata interface. You can get a SATA to eSATA adapter for each desktop PC for a couple of bucks since its just a cable. Then you'd have the hard drive portable but also running at full speed without the USB bottleneck.
Makes sense. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with eSATA. I built these machines about 4 years ago.
Another thing to familiarize with...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Makes sense. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with eSATA. I built these machines about 4 years ago.
Another thing to familiarize with...
SATA is a connection on the motherboard for connecting hard drives and CD/DVD drives that's replacing IDE. SATA has a slightly different connector called eSATA that's designed for external use and built to withstand more connection/disconnection cycles than the internal connector. Electrically, they're the same and an internal SATA connector can be converted to an external connector with a simple cable and bracket for the back of the case. 4 years ago is when SATA was being phased in if I recall so your motherboard may or may not have SATA ports. I want to think it will though. Worst case, you get a PCI SATA card with an eSATA port on it for each machine. But if you can use it, SATA/eSATA rocks because its got enough speed to keep up with any hard drive out there and then some.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM

MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard.
Supports 2 SATA, Ultra ATA, and IDE. And RAID 0, 1 or 0+1.

I AM swift enough that I still have the MB box, guides, and a ton of cables, including the two SATA cables.
Never throw anything away.

So, I can get a card and connect the SATA cable, and be off and running with an eSata drive.
Great!

I'm running Ultra ATA/100 RAID 1.
Two WD 80 gig drives.
When I built it, SATA drives were quite expen$ive, IIRC.
The desktop I am using has all the processing ability I would need for a long time.

I would leave the AMD machine for the wife and come up with a desktop for the office.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 AM

You'll need one of these for each machine to let you plug an eSATA hard drive into your motherboard's SATA ports and you should be good to go.

Newegg.com - KINGWIN 15" eSATA PCI Bracket cable Model ESAC-02 - Cables

You'll only need one of the connectors actually connected in each machine but this particular one comes with two.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM

19 posts, read 69,573 times
Before you put more money into SATA equipment, Google the net and check out the speed difference. If you currently have USB2 on both of your PCs, then it's not necessary to switch to SATA hardware. I have worked with all types of hard drive interfaces; ide, scsi, sata, and even optical fiber. Unless you have a lot of data being access by multiple users, there's no need to get the extra speed. Save the money and use it for backups and more backups.
Firewire and eSATA may be fast, but not by much. Since your PCs are 4 years old, it may not even take advantage of the extra speed. Having the fastest drive is useless if you have other bottlenecks in your system, such as the CPU and memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or