U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times

Advertisements

Why I say that after running Wintel from 1999-07 (98, 2000 Professional then XP); I switched to Apple based in large part on its alleged better reliability. Well, my Mac Mini died last Sunday whereup I got pissed and went back to the 'dark side'. The Mini died one month after the warranty expired.

I am typing this post on an H-P Pavilions machine complete with Windows Vista albeit with 4 Gig of RAM so it is (mostly) minding its manners.

I would have bought another Apple but the only Mac with a 'modular' design (read that easy to repair/replace hardware) is the Pro..........I ain't payin' no $2,799 for that pleasure when $600 bought me the H-P which has almost easy to access innards.

Note that the PC has a 500 Gig hard drive and the aformentioned 4 Gig of RAM whereas the Mac Pro has less in both catagories.

Any idea why Apple is shooting itself in the foot?

What makes it worse is the total monopoly of Apple--------no clones, nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Apple makes the only hardware on which the Mac OS will run, so it can set the price for that hardware wherever it chooses. The company wants to create a perception in the marketplace that Mac computers are higher quality, so it prices them higher than comparable models made by other companies. This is similar to the pricing used by luxury brands in the auto industry. It's the same reason that a Lexus is priced higher than a Honda or a Cadillac is priced higher than the equivalent Chevrolet.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM

28,905 posts, read 47,358,571 times
Well, having owned a Mac for four years now, I have to say that the price of the hardware is a little bit higher. That being said, in terms of productivity, it's been a good investment. Why? Because it starts up in the morning without fail, works without a problem, installs new software and peripherals without a hitch, and never crashes. Okay, I did have one crash about a year ago. But that's it.

Compare this to the HP, the Dell, the IBM, and the Gateway computers I had over the year. Now, I charge $100 an hour for my services. I work 45 hours a week, of which roughly 35 are billable. If I spend 4-5 hours a month screwing around with my PC (I kept pretty careful time records on this, believe me), then I was essentially flushing $400-$500 bucks down the toilet in lost productivity.

Yep. Sorry you got a bad piece of hardware. But mine is a champ. I was a dubious convert to Mac, but if you tried to take it away from me now, I'd break your arm.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Note that the PC has a 500 Gig hard drive and the aformentioned 4 Gig of RAM whereas the Mac Pro has less in both catagories.

Any idea why Apple is shooting itself in the foot?

What makes it worse is the total monopoly of Apple--------no clones, nothing.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended). The MacPro comes in at a much higher level in terms of their entry point... but they do offer much more as well.

I just did a quick comparison... took the basic MacPro, knocked down a processors so its just one... and compared to a dell... There are still differences... but I actually had Apple's at $2300 vs Dell's at $2500.

And here is where you need to consider some things.... when comparing these, you need to make sure both have similar capabilities - meaning, the dell will need to be able to house 2 processors.... and have same number of memory slots (even if you're not using them).

In my comparison - I had the MacPro with 1 quad-core 2.8GHZ/2GB/360GB Drive) compared to a Dell Precision T5400 with the same specs... and even with that, the Dell maxes to 4GB of ram (not sure if this was a hardware limitation or they just didn't give you the option of buying more)... where the Apple could handle 32GB. But all else was 'similar'. The Dell did throw in a 19" monitor though.

So bottom line, Apple does definitely seem to have a gap in the offering where there doens't seem to be a "mid-line". But I think when you compare "truly" similar systems... the prices are closer then you would think. Apples are of course going to be somewhat more expensive due to a lack of competition.... but this is where the "brand" comes in.

Also, Apples tend to depreciate much slower than PC's. My 6 year old PowerBook 1GHZ can still fetch between $300-$500......

The issue here is..... do you need a 2500 machine?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times
macroy stated his piece; which I respect.

As he alluded to: Apple dropped the ball--------badly by their refusal to offer a modular tower below the Mac Pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers