U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM

5,893 posts, read 11,525,125 times

Advertisements

This is precisely why I put all my photos and music on an external hard drive. When I got my new computer, all I did was plug it into the USB port, and voila! Of course, I also have them backed up on CDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,248,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
This is precisely why I put all my photos and music on an external hard drive. When I got my new computer, all I did was plug it into the USB port, and voila! Of course, I also have them backed up on CDs.
If only I had, had the same forthought as you then I wouldn't be trying to figure out how to do this without spending anymore money

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Okay so I did this and there are tons of things on there and alot I don't want to move to the new computer. I basically just wanted to move all my pics from one computer to the other. I am assuming I just click on the ones I want to move and go from there?
If all you are after is pictures than the most common extension is probably .jpg. Search with just this extension and you'll have a shorter list to choose from. If you want to be certain then do multiple single extension searches using .png and .bmp as well.

But, yes, you can just choose and copy. What you are likely to find if you do the single extension search is that they are grouped in folders and you can just copy over the entire folder. I normally find that it's easier to copy an entire folder then remove anything unwanted because the number of files to keep usually outnumber those not wanted.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,248,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If all you are after is pictures than the most common extension is probably .jpg. Search with just this extension and you'll have a shorter list to choose from. If you want to be certain then do multiple single extension searches using .png and .bmp as well.

But, yes, you can just choose and copy. What you are likely to find if you do the single extension search is that they are grouped in folders and you can just copy over the entire folder. I normally find that it's easier to copy an entire folder then remove anything unwanted because the number of files to keep usually outnumber those not wanted.
Thanks, it is amazing the amount of crap I found saved that I have no desire to move. I think all my pics are .jpg's. And luckily I just found my disc for my camera so that when my new cpu gets here I can continue my downloads.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Thanks, it is amazing the amount of crap I found saved that I have no desire to move. I think all my pics are .jpg's. And luckily I just found my disc for my camera so that when my new cpu gets here I can continue my downloads.
The secondary use for computers is to do exactly that!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
bjh

32,780 posts, read 24,240,513 times
Does a zip drive use a usb port?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM

Brand/model of zip drive is required to answer that question.

Putting the same into Google will likely get the answer faster, but if you don't want to mess with it put the info here.

You will also find that answers come faster if you start a new thread. It is considered bad manners to hijack someone else's thread for an unrelated question.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
bjh

32,780 posts, read 24,240,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Brand/model of zip drive is required to answer that question.

Putting the same into Google will likely get the answer faster, but if you don't want to mess with it put the info here.

You will also find that answers come faster if you start a new thread. It is considered bad manners to hijack someone else's thread for an unrelated question.
Gee thanks.

The reason i posted this here is b/c i was wondering if a zip drive would be useful to transfer files from one computer to another. I had already posted a question about transfering files as its own thread till you, as a matter of fact, pointed out the existence of this thread.

Anyway if somebody would please help me try to figure out how to move files from a Windows 98 Compaq 1255 lap top that has a 3.5 drive, a cd read only drive, a usb port that unfortunately does not recognize a jump drive (nor can it be made to recognize one), just too old and incompatible. I do have a zip drive (somewhere- just moved and dont know where everything is just now)

The new computer is a Windows Vista with NO 3.5 drive. It does have a usb port that accepts a jump drive. It is an HP F750US.

I would appreciate any helpful advise.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 31,727 times
bjh....i have win98 too, i found that lexar (micron) has a downloadable software to make 512meg and less lexar sticks workable in win98 computers.....look it up online and download it, (of course you need a low capacity stick too).

Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Gee thanks.

The reason i posted this here is b/c i was wondering if a zip drive would be useful to transfer files from one computer to another. I had already posted a question about transfering files as its own thread till you, as a matter of fact, pointed out the existence of this thread.

Anyway if somebody would please help me try to figure out how to move files from a Windows 98 Compaq 1255 lap top that has a 3.5 drive, a cd read only drive, a usb port that unfortunately does not recognize a jump drive (nor can it be made to recognize one), just too old and incompatible. I do have a zip drive (somewhere- just moved and dont know where everything is just now)

The new computer is a Windows Vista with NO 3.5 drive. It does have a usb port that accepts a jump drive. It is an HP F750US.

I would appreciate any helpful advise.
In case you missed it your post here had nothing to do with your other thread. You didn't ask anything about transferring files, just whether or not a zip drive used usb. The assumption that you were hijacking the thread was valid. BTW, it's not my responsibility to follow all your threads so I know that you are the one from the other thread.

Since you found time to be a smart ass, but didn't show me the courtesy of giving the brand/model of the zip drive so I could offer further assistance, I will graciously bow out of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or