U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM

578 posts, read 2,910,027 times

Advertisements

I have just got a laptop my first so ive gone from desktop to the laptop and prefer the laptop with a wireless Internet connection its great as I can just lounge about the house or even outside in the garden. If you are an avid game player then I would stick to the desktop rather than the laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM

11,543 posts, read 18,810,793 times
My Dell XPS is ahuge monster,only 4 years old,when I moved it went into storage and I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop,my laptop has a 120GB drive the same as the huge XPS.....amazing.

Still,I'll eventually setup the Dell at home again,for gaming and video,a nice big monitor still beats a laptop,though I could probably hook up the monitor to the laptop.

Heck,Im laying back in bed typing this right now,the laptop portability is nice.BTW the Toshiba is a decent machine.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM

355 posts, read 2,509,428 times
Get the laptop . A few months ago , I purchased a new HP desktop to replace my old Compaq desktop . I wish I had got a laptop instead because I spend lots of time on the computer and it's in my bedroom , which means I have to spend hours in my bedroom at my cramped computer desk while I am wishing I was sitting in my den on the couch with a laptop watching t.v. and doing my online work at the same time or being able to do things online while eating breakfast in my kitchen . I am currently trying to sell my new computer so I can get a laptop instead . Buying another desktop was a mistake and a waste of money . I hope someone will be willing to give me near retail for my new computer . I currently have an offer for $450 , which is not too bad , but I am aiming to get $500 for it .

Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 AM

537 posts, read 338,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There are 4 different types of laptops:

Ultra-Portable (less than 13.3 in. screen)
Portable (13.3 in. or 14.1 in.)
Mainstream (15.4 in.)
Desktop-Replacement (17 in.+)

The cheapest ones are usually mainstream but portables are coming down in price. For an Ultra Portable or Desktop Replacement your usually looking at least $1500-$2000 for a basic setup.

But sorting through different brands, processors, etc is complicated and can be frustrating for a newbie. There are 5 basic brands that will give you the best bang-for-your-buck:

Dell
HP/ Compaq
Apple
Gateway
Sony
I would add Acer to your list and they are buying Gateway and will be the number three.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
sun

683 posts, read 1,976,453 times
I bought my first laptop from Staples about a month ago. It was a HP with the features that I wanted for under $800 with rebate.
I went with the 15.5" US6444 model because it had XP Pro and not Vista, and it was delivered to my door in ~2 days. It's not as easy to find units with XP Pro, tigerdirect.com has many models and specials, as does Best Buy.
I like it for it's portability, but it doesn't replace a desktop for use over many hours, so desktops are primarily what I use.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM

537 posts, read 338,478 times
You are right about having trouble find the "sale" models with XP. It is very hard. But, I do know that Acer, Gateway, and Dell will build one for you with XP. I also found out that Best Buy will rebuild one, so to speak, and put XP on, as opposed to having Vista.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:34 AM
sun

683 posts, read 1,976,453 times
Sorry, I listed the wrong nameplate. Mine is a Compaq made by HP, not an HP. It works very good too.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,217,674 times
Two words: laptop & wireless.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 AM

67,103 posts, read 16,514,860 times
I have 3 laptops;gateway works real good,I have an old Compaq which I leave at home for storing stuff.I have an Averatec which works very well.I love laptops,they are very convenient.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,572,027 times
Ever since 2005, I have replaced the Clunky Desktop with laptops. The cost of computers are so low that it's easier for me to just buy another. My wife has one for work (Dell Workstation), my 6 year old has a Dell Latitude 15.4" widescreen and I have a Dell Latitude D620 (business grade with a 3 year warranty)

The desktop has the most flexibility allowing you to configure it for the highest grade memory cards, video cards and hard drive space. You can just exchange out what you want to upgrade.

The notebook is relatively fixed but with wireless networks available for the house and "Hot Spots" to use when you're in town, it is the most versatile. There are external Keypads and USB driven external hard drives (that don't need a power supply). If you have a hard time reading from a notebook, you can opt to get a monitor when you're working at home. The notebook lets you surf the net and do your work anywhere in the house.

I was very active in the Notebook and Laptop Reviews forums but have since backed off of posting since I have been inactive in buying new laptops for the past 8 months. There are reviews and discussion groups like "What should I buy?" when you're ready to get one.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers