U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,246,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I just got my new Dell Inspiron T5750 laptop up and running early this evening. It is working like it is charmed. It is unbelievably fast compared to my old HP laptop. I'm really happy that I went with the 250Gb hard drive.

However, I am already fighting with Vista and it came with the upgrade. I hate trying to create a new word document. It was so easy with XP. And, I cannot reload my internet games!!!! The gaming website states that Vista has some pecularities that prevent downloads. I was advised to temporarily disable the firewall. But, I cannot find where to do it! I have followed all of the steps and paths, but the one disable prompt that I need is not there.

I suppose 4 hrs. with a new program - and, I haven't found the manual yet in the bottom of the box - isn't quite enough to be judgmental, but I sure hope it gets a bit easier as I use it.

Why no Word Document??
Don't scare me gemkeeper. My new Dell will be here Monday and I gotta get it all set up. Hopefully though because my son just got a new Dell laptop with vista he will be able to help me navigate. I figure if my Mom and Dad who aren't computer savy at all can work with it I should be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,302,763 times
Be aware of the "Black Screen of Death". I recently did a system resotre for a friend on a new Dell Inspiron 1525. One month after they purchased it, the laptop would not boot correctly. The grub screen came up, but after that, just a black screen with the mouse pointer. I think Vista acutally booted as I could get the sound from StickyKeys when pressing the shift key 5 times, but nothing on the screen. Others have complained about this since the beta. Microsoft's only KB articles on it say you have to reinstall. No one has pin pointed as to what caused it, as many people on the news groups claimed to have been doing a host of different things right before the problem arose - from installing new hardware, installing software, to nothing. My friend claims to have been configuring wireless access. Some claimed to have been able to been able to fix the problem in different ways. I used the system resotre that Dell loads on a untility partition to reimage the laptop.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:02 PM

27,904 posts, read 34,881,215 times
I had problems at first with my dell.....after reinstalling (customized for my wants).....ughhh all the commercializing of my personal PC....

It's all but gone. Fast, Fun and easy to use.....plus I got the biometerics thing so I don't even know if XP can run that software...probably but everything is fine.

XPS1530

Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times
My H-P Vista machine is 2 weeks old: I have not blown it up yet

No joke about the memory though: this thing with its 4Gig of RAM is about as fast as my (now dead) Apple Mac Mini.

I may wind up following the advice of some of the other posters here and 'back tune' it to the Win XP appearance---------especially if doing so makes my computer run even faster.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

No joke about the memory though: this thing with its 4Gig of RAM is about as fast as my (now dead) Apple Mac Mini.

I may wind up following the advice of some of the other posters here and 'back tune' it to the Win XP appearance---------especially if doing so makes my computer run even faster.
I've stopped a lot of services and turned off Aero and haven't noticed any difference either way on my Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM so I turned Aero back on. Blackviper's web site is good for turning off Windows services since it tells you what everything is and whether or not you need it.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:59 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Does it actually show four gigs? I was reading someplace that most current run of the mill machines can only really use three. Could be it was a dated article, but I got the impression it had something to do with the hardware.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Does it actually show four gigs? I was reading someplace that most current run of the mill machines can only really use three. Could be it was a dated article, but I got the impression it had something to do with the hardware.
Yes; this machine does show it has the full 4 Gigs

Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Newegg.com - Top Sellers, AMD Motherboards, Motherboards

Look down this list at max memory supported.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
A 32 bit OS has 4GB of total address space. Some of that can't be used for memory since the system needs address space to communicate with hardware. Available memory will also be reduced by however much RAM your video card has. I have 4GB in my 32 bit Vista machine and it reports about 3.3GB in Windows.

Now for the twist: I read that SP1 for Vista changed the system properties behavior so that instead of showing the actual memory available to Windows, it'll show the total installed. It can't actually use any more, but in effect it'll say "Hey, you've got 4GB. Stop calling and asking why it only shows 3.3GB". I'm not at my Vista machine right now and I haven't looked at the system properties since I applied SP1 so I can't personally verify that they changed the memory reporting, but that's what I heard.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A 32 bit OS has 4GB of total address space. Some of that can't be used for memory since the system needs address space to communicate with hardware. Available memory will also be reduced by however much RAM your video card has. I have 4GB in my 32 bit Vista machine and it reports about 3.3GB in Windows.

Now for the twist: I read that SP1 for Vista changed the system properties behavior so that instead of showing the actual memory available to Windows, it'll show the total installed. It can't actually use any more, but in effect it'll say "Hey, you've got 4GB. Stop calling and asking why it only shows 3.3GB". I'm not at my Vista machine right now and I haven't looked at the system properties since I applied SP1 so I can't personally verify that they changed the memory reporting, but that's what I heard.
Odd; my machine (H-P Pavilions a6500f) states I have a 64 bit OS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers