U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times

Advertisements

Side note:

I 'solved' my printer issue: simply paid $60 for a brand new H-P Deskjet F4280 (it will accept the Vista 64 bit OS) earlier today; got the #$%^&* thing installed and called it good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Crash meaning the dreaded corrupted blue screen. Computer will only boot up in safe mode. Yes, I guess the Dell guy could have been lying to me, but he told me they are having lots of problems with Vista. He then put in an order to send me a brand new computer which is on its way, but I am sending it back.

There is a new operating system coming out in 09, would it be better to wait to buy do you think?
OK, so you got a blue screen. Those can be caused by lots of issues but its typically bad hardware or a bad driver. A bad driver usually isn't Microsoft's fault because most drivers are supplied by the hardware maker. A new computer isn't the fix for a bad driver. The only reason to send out a new computer is if there's faulty hardware and you can hardly blame Windows for that.

And if you think there's really going to be a new Windows next year, I've got a bridge to sell you. NEVER wait for Microsoft.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 PM

27,904 posts, read 34,881,215 times
Quote:
I thought about doing that, but was told that the computer I ordered (Dell XPS1530) does not have the drivers that support XP, so I guess I would have to find the drivers. I just don't know enough about computers. I am thinking of getting a refurbished computer from dell with XP on it, Good idea?? Bad idea??

I got the same computer you do. I immediately reinstalled everything.....but only the stuff I wanted obviously. I went through the computer and removed the ability for it to cut power to items. Vista along with all the stuff they put on the computer when they ship it out bogged it down almost immediately.

Why aren't you trying to get it fixed through dell? The computer really is a good one for the money.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I got the same computer you do. I immediately reinstalled everything.....but only the stuff I wanted obviously. I went through the computer and removed the ability for it to cut power to items. Vista along with all the stuff they put on the computer when they ship it out bogged it down almost immediately.

Why aren't you trying to get it fixed through dell? The computer really is a good one for the money.

Well they were sending me a new one, but I called the other day to change the address for where it was going and I checked today and they have canceled the new one b/c address changing is not allowed. I am so sick of dealing with them. So the old one is on its way back and no new one is coming so I am looking elsewhere

I am pricing out having one built for me with the same specs.

Why did you have to immediately reload everything?? And what was making it bog down, b/c mine was doing the exact same thing b/f it quit booting up at all.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:18 PM

27,904 posts, read 34,881,215 times
Quote:
Well they were sending me a new one, but I called the other day to change the address for where it was going and I checked today and they have canceled the new one b/c address changing is not allowed. I am so sick of dealing with them. So the old one is on its way back and no new one is coming so I am looking elsewhere

I am pricing out having one built for me with the same specs.

Why did you have to immediately reload everything?? And what was making it bog down, b/c mine was doing the exact same thing b/f it quit booting up at all.
They commercialize it as I say. They put the crap on it they want...not what I want.

I reloaded because I was able to install just the items I wanted without the garbage.

Although it took a while for me to get my computer I have been happy with it. It's very sturdy and looks well built IMO.

I removed all the Vista parts to it....you can change the theme back to XP. I also stopped all my hardware from being able to cut power to conserve. I went into DOS and renewed/removed the caches and reinstalled my wireless driver.

I also minimize the items I have on start up and my desktop and keep everything in folders if it is on the desktop.

I defrag and run scandisk regularly along with spyware but every computer I have had I have done that. I throw away things I don't need and organize the things I am keeping. The more simple you keep it and less programs you have bogging it down the better. I would even go through add/remove hardware on the control panel and remove programs that you do not want or need. Run the spyware several times in a row and make sure you don't have multiple programs for your spyware sometimes they confilct.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 AM

526 posts, read 942,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon3475 View Post
they commercialize it as i say. They put the crap on it they want...not what i want.

I reloaded because i was able to install just the items i wanted without the garbage.

Although it took a while for me to get my computer i have been happy with it. It's very sturdy and looks well built imo.

I removed all the vista parts to it....you can change the theme back to xp. I also stopped all my hardware from being able to cut power to conserve. I went into dos and renewed/removed the caches and reinstalled my wireless driver.

I also minimize the items i have on start up and my desktop and keep everything in folders if it is on the desktop.

I defrag and run scandisk regularly along with spyware but every computer i have had i have done that. I throw away things i don't need and organize the things i am keeping. The more simple you keep it and less programs you have bogging it down the better. I would even go through add/remove hardware on the control panel and remove programs that you do not want or need. Run the spyware several times in a row and make sure you don't have multiple programs for your spyware sometimes they confilct.
this is advice alot of people need to be doing, its amazing to see the list of 3 or 4 rowss of programs on peoples computers and they go ohh do i need that program?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Default hello everyone

Hello friend, this is miajade Window vista is a very nice and advanced window developed by Microsoft, it requires RAM more than 1GB and harddisk more than 80GB for efficiently functioning

Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,474,844 times
Does anyone with Vista have any problems with their computer freezing up? I have a 2 year old Dell C521 with Vista Home Premium and 4 gigs of memory. Last month the computer just stooped working and I had to pull the plug. The same thing happened earlier today. I don't recall having this problem when I had XP on my older Dell computer.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Does anyone with Vista have any problems with their computer freezing up? I have a 2 year old Dell C521 with Vista Home Premium and 4 gigs of memory. Last month the computer just stooped working and I had to pull the plug. The same thing happened earlier today. I don't recall having this problem when I had XP on my older Dell computer.
Lots of things can cause a computer to lock up. I've seen plenty of XP and older machines lock up but not so many Vista machines but I'm sure that's just because they're still a fairly small percentage of the installed base and they're all under two years old.

Some things that can cause lockups:

Crappy security software such as Norton, McAfee, Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, etc.
A virus or spyware
Bad or old drivers, particularly video drivers. Get the latest from the video chip maker, not Dell who will probably have an old one posted
Bad RAM. Download memtest86 and let it crank overnight to see if it detects anything
Failing hard disk: Download Seatools and run the full test
Other failing hardware including a bad motherboard or power supply

Unfortunately, the only reliable way to separate Windows issues from hardware issues without a lot of time and tedium is to nuke the disk and reload a fresh Windows. Update it but don't load a bunch of junk on it. If it still locks up, you've probably got a hardware failure.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,268,335 times
Ohhh yea good ol vista got mine about a yr or two ago, I asked a few about it beforehand and got mixed signals so I figured well might as well give it a whirl since it looks like it’s gonna be mainstream down the road, first off I never thought to look and see how much memory it sucked up which was amazing, so anyway home it went plugged it in did the usual set up and I got nuttin, I fought page offline and other things forever it seemed, had the ol xp unit sitting next to it fired up not a single problem with it, I had the ol mouse workin overtime clickin any and everywhere trying to find stuff, I cussed vista for a long time and still do from time to time.

So after a bit I finally got it up and running halfway decent then I thought ok now it’s gaming time, huhhh that was a joy vista went you want me to do what, what memory I had left after vista got done with it wasn’t didly, but I will say it is different and now with windows seven which is supposed to be based off of vista well whether I like vista or not it’s just one o those things I’m gonna have to just get over and deal with but I did learn my lesson this time by not checking the entire system out better beforehand so next time I’m just gonna build my own and pick my own os along with all the other goodies, store bought never again.

As far as freezing up mine would freeze but it was just the display driver and a not so hot graphics card, updated the drivers constantly and it holds it’s own for a while then goes back to acting silly but the freeze ups are mainly on my part on what I do not so much the quality of the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers