U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,474,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The only thing I really dislike about Vista is that it takes more control AWAY from the user. Sometimes it will NOT let me do things I REALLY WANT TO DO. Fortunately, the more I use it the more I learn how to get around that kind of problem.

Things are in different places, or they are called something different, but other than the unbelievable BLOAT that is Vista, there isn't *that* much difference.

Sometimes, I swear if ONE MORE WINDOW pops up and asks me if I am "really sure" that I want to do something, I will scream. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Turn OFF and LEAVE OFF Vista's UAC. And I'm "really sure" about that. Did it long time ago and have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,225,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Did you have HP's factory install? I'm running a Core 2 Duo E6600, 4GB of RAM, and a 7600 GS video card with no problems at all. Of course its running on an Intel motherboard and I built it myself and loaded a clean Vista without all of the BS big companies pre-load. Its been very stable, just like the XP machine before it, the Win2000 machine before that, and the NT4 machine before that.
A huge problem with Vista is many of the features now built into Windows were stuff that used to be done with third-party bloatware which companies like HP preloaded their systems with. You know, stuff like Google Desktop Search, HP Wireless config utility, HP Updates, Norton Internet Security, etc. Unfortunately, HP hasn't taken the hint and continues to preload their bloatware (which is no longer needed) onto Vista machines and the result is a slow and unstable system. Heck, this software caused even caused some problems in XP!

I am running a 4 year old self-built system with 2GB of RAM and an Athlon 64 processor and love Vista. When I try to use it on my family's laptops using HP's pre-install however....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers