Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Ohhh yea good ol vista got mine about a yr or two ago, I asked a few about it beforehand and got mixed signals so I figured well might as well give it a whirl since it looks like it’s gonna be mainstream down the road, first off I never thought to look and see how much memory it sucked up which was amazing, so anyway home it went plugged it in did the usual set up and I got nuttin, I fought page offline and other things forever it seemed, had the ol xp unit sitting next to it fired up not a single problem with it, I had the ol mouse workin overtime clickin any and everywhere trying to find stuff, I cussed vista for a long time and still do from time to time.

So after a bit I finally got it up and running halfway decent then I thought ok now it’s gaming time, huhhh that was a joy vista went you want me to do what, what memory I had left after vista got done with it wasn’t didly, but I will say it is different and now with windows seven which is supposed to be based off of vista well whether I like vista or not it’s just one o those things I’m gonna have to just get over and deal with but I did learn my lesson this time by not checking the entire system out better beforehand so next time I’m just gonna build my own and pick my own os along with all the other goodies, store bought never again.

As far as freezing up mine would freeze but it was just the display driver and a not so hot graphics card, updated the drivers constantly and it holds it’s own for a while then goes back to acting silly but the freeze ups are mainly on my part on what I do not so much the quality of the machine.
Brand and specs of this machine? I've never had any such problems on any of my Vista machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
HP, intel 2 duo, 3 gig ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8300 graphics

Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
Forgot the ol HD, hitachi 465 gb

Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
What to expect?

Lots of security warnings at first asking if you're really sure you want to run the program you just double-clicked.

Sluggish performance unless you have a lot of RAM and video memory, which will persist until you disable the translucent window borders.

Heavier memory use than you might be used to. 2 gigabytes is probably a minimum, and if you can get more RAM, you're better off.

Some potential compatibility issues - for example, my HP printer/scanner doesn't quite run as it should.
i have 1.0 gig, how do i add more and is this something i can do my self ? i have vista so that's why i'm asking.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i have 1.0 gig, how do i add more and is this something i can do my self ? i have vista so that's why i'm asking.
Memory is usually pretty easy to add. The easiest thing is to go to Crucial.com and use their memory selector to find your computer by model number. They'll sell you the correct memory for your computer so there's no worries about getting the wrong stuff. I'd add 2GB so you'd have 3GB total if your system supports that much. It should though.

I'd also look inside and see what you physically have before buying. The memory slots are about 5" long and usually located near the CPU, perpendicular to the PCI slots. Memory slots have white levers on each end for ejecting modules and have a notch in the middle. Here's a good picture:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2006/1916/C51XEM2AA_DIMMs.jpg (broken link)

In this picture, the board supports dual channel memory. One matched set goes in the black slots and another in the blue slots. If the slots aren't color coded, you have single channel memory. You might have a single 1GB module with 1 open slot. (Add a 2GB module in this case) You may have two 512MB modules with two open slots (add two 1GB modules in this case). If the system has no open slots, you'll need to toss at least one of the existing modules to upgrade. If Crucial says you have dual channel memory, always add a matched set of memory. They'll list a 2GB dual channel upgrade as a 1GB x 2 kit.

When installing memory, be sure to unplug the power to the computer and ground yourself before touching anything.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
HP, intel 2 duo, 3 gig ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8300 graphics
Did you have HP's factory install? I'm running a Core 2 Duo E6600, 4GB of RAM, and a 7600 GS video card with no problems at all. Of course its running on an Intel motherboard and I built it myself and loaded a clean Vista without all of the BS big companies pre-load. Its been very stable, just like the XP machine before it, the Win2000 machine before that, and the NT4 machine before that.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
My son just bought a Gateway Laptop last night on clearance. He has 14 days to return it. From what I am reading Gateway is not reliable. Here is the Model #M-1626. He paid $527.00 with tax. The specs are 4GB Memory, 250GB Hard Drive. AMD Turion.
I have had Toshiba and have never had a problem. I am worried he will get stuck with a problem Laptop. He bought it because he needed the ATI Radeon X1270 Video Card. He will be djing using video so he needs reliability. Any advice would be appreciated. His price range was $500.00 so he really had no choice.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Well you're not really going to get a great laptop for $500 unless its used and you know its been well cared for. Its anyone guess whether or not this particular one turns out to be reliable. I would have bought two so there's always a ready backup in case one dies at a bad time. If he's DJing for money, that's just a cost of doing business.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:07 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
By the way it does get easier.

It's not horrible but it's change...It's prettier

I still changed it to XP theme
i know i revived this thread but this makes me mad
YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE THEME IN VISTA TO XP, YOU CAN CHANGE IT TO CLASSIC WHICH IS 95 TO 2K.. XP THEMES ARE LUNA, SILVER, OLIVE GREEN, ROYALE, ZUNE, AND THE NEW EMBEDDED THEME... THATS IT! no where in vista do you see blessid XP which i cant wait till its gone!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
So I am getting a new computer and it comes with Windows Vista. What differences can I expect from Windows XP? I was really nervous about getting Vista but both of my kids and my parents have it on their new computers and haven't had any problems that I know of.
The only thing I really dislike about Vista is that it takes more control AWAY from the user. Sometimes it will NOT let me do things I REALLY WANT TO DO. Fortunately, the more I use it the more I learn how to get around that kind of problem.

Things are in different places, or they are called something different, but other than the unbelievable BLOAT that is Vista, there isn't *that* much difference.

Sometimes, I swear if ONE MORE WINDOW pops up and asks me if I am "really sure" that I want to do something, I will scream. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers