U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM

314 posts, read 734,635 times

Advertisements

The linksys, d-link, buffalo are all good. Like they said above use wpa2 and DIY, I get annoyed every time I see a firedog or geek squad car...they are huge ripoffs!!

I live in Caracol and can help if you need it, cost will be a soda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,504,925 times
I have no brand loyalty, though had some bad experiences from LinkSys which annoyed me in the past (e.g. their WET11 Wireless Bridge and it's successor are miserable, their WiFi PMCIA card have had historically miserable range). It seemed like the LinkSys division has gone downhill since Cisco bought them, IMO.... but I definitely wouldn't short change their Linux fw routers as they can do quite a lot.

I've had good luck with a Netgear WGR614 for a couple of years, though one overheated and crapped out. It seems to still be a popular model as Netgear is still using the same design after many years with minor hardware changes. I had a D-Link in the past but it's UI was very poor and I couldn't port forward at all.

I was unfamiliar with Zyxel but having used the ExtremeG MiMo x-550 for 2-3 years not, I'm extremely satisfied. Picked 2 on sale for $30 each with a $20 rebate and sold the 2nd for $35 so made $15. Good deals can always be had... Here's one Paka:

$25.00
Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-432BRP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Firewall Router - Wireless Routers

Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,561,658 times
Thanks everyone...think we might be on to one...and appreciate all the info.

I almost feel qualified to try and set it up myself with all the info!! LOL

Will keep you posted if I get "mobilized"! LOL Put down that hammer an chisel Paka, time to move into the pencil and paper era!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,812,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
you would like WPA w/TKIP (or WPA2 if your equipment supports it) encryption set up. DO NOT settle with WEP64 or 128. You might as well not even set up encryption if they are your only choices. In addition, don't worry about things like 'Hide/Mask SSID' or 'MAC filtering', as security through obscurity is not really security. WPA with a strong pass phrase will be more than sufficient.
I still recommend using MAC filtering. Although not having the encryption keys will prevent someone from connecting to your access point, MAC filtering adds one more good layer of security. SSID hiding also adds another layer, although it's minimal since it's quite easily defeated.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM

13,806 posts, read 26,621,133 times
You're qualified already. Give it a try! all you have to do is follow along and it'll be over before you even know it started. Routers have become much more user friendly.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM

28 posts, read 105,277 times
I also have a Linksys and I've never had any problems with it. I have the WPA-PSK level of security on the router. So far no body has accessed my router.

Just make sure you pick a pass key that's long enough and has special characters so it's harder to break through. Don't pick anything like your phone number or address/zip code.

You should be fine once you set up security. You don't want anyone accessing your personal files, printers, and pictures. So make sure you do it as soon as possible.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 AM

13,806 posts, read 26,621,133 times
there's a Linksys wireless router and Lexmark wireless all-in-one printer/scanner/copier at Circuit City today for $99.99 (that's for both of them). pretty good deal

Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,504,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I still recommend using MAC filtering. Although not having the encryption keys will prevent someone from connecting to your access point, MAC filtering adds one more good layer of security. SSID hiding also adds another layer, although it's minimal since it's quite easily defeated.
MAC filtering is really no layer at all... it's simply a waste of time even implementing. If I were driving around looking for access points, I could spoof a MAC addy on your network in less than 1 minute. Similarly SSID beacon suppression is easily detectable over the air in seconds and can't really be shut off. What's worse about SSID hiding is not only does it not hide your SSID at all (albeit not noticeable in Windows Wireless zero config), your client (laptop, destkop etc.) would continually probe for your access point meaning it would broadcast your SSID whereever you go. Hence, [the illusion] of hiding your SSID really accomplishes the exact opposite. Don't even bother. Just make sure you are using at least WPA authentication w/TKIP encryption, and choose a really long password (I use 63 char) and you will have no worries.

Here's a good read SSID mask:

Wireless LAN security myths that won’t die | George Ou | ZDNet.com
What happens when I disable SSID Broadcast? Am I more secure? Wireless Networking Forum FAQ - dslreports.com

and this is simply an outstanding resource on wireless networking:

Wireless Networking Forum FAQ - dslreports.com

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,484 times
I've heard people talk about routers with a firewall. If I were to set things up all over again, I'd go that route.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
I had a small snag connecting a Linksys router to my Verizon DSL modem since the DSL modem mirrors the DNS services in itself and distributes addressing via DHCP to anything connected to it. Therefore, it was setting up the PC's to use 192.168.1.1 as the DNS service address. That was the same as the LAN address of the Linksys router. I fixed it by changing the default address of the router to 192.168.0.1 and everything works as it should. There is nothing wrong with things working this way, but it did take a while to figure out what was wrong. If you have connection issues, check the addressing before you assume you can't solve it yourself. My DSL modems are Westell, but the principle can apply to anything that has a conflicting IP address between the modem and the router.

BTW, there are other ways this problem can be solved, such as using a switch instead of a router or putting the modem in bridged mode. I mentioned this because the problem arose with a Linksys router, but not with a D-Link. That's the experience I have had with this type of issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers