U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 AM

654 posts, read 3,134,723 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a decent tv tuner card to where I can watch tv on my laptop? I know its common on desktop pc's but since I travel from time to time, I would like to be able to watch tv on my laptop from time to time where I dont have to look for a TV anywhere. What are some decent brands and quality to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
I don't believe that there are many cards for laptops. You'll probably go with a USB-based tuner. Kludgy compared to a card, but at least it'll work with desktops, too.

A web search for "usb tv tuner" shows many options.

I have used EyeTV for the Mac (by Elgato Systems) and been satisfied with it. I'm not sure that Elgato offers any PC-compatible models.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Depending on what you mean by travel a tuner may be completely useless to you, you need either a cable connection or an antenna to receive the signal, it's not something you can fire up in an airport lounge.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 37,140 times
AVTechMan

If you have Cable or Satellite TV at home.

You can watch your TV Channels you pay for
already. And Yes... even in an airport lounge that
has internet access.

I travel also and I use my laptop to watch my
TV shows/Programs/Movies anywhere with my SLINGBOX PRO

I have my DirecTV, DVD Player and DVR connected to my
SLINGBOX

I bet whatever card you have installed on your laptop now,
you'll be able to watch it.

A better card would help with a much better resolution.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM

23,985 posts, read 23,225,883 times
Question: If you have a lap top or desk top and you have a TV tuner installed what will happen 02/2009 with this new analog / digital deal if your connected to a on air antenna.
Will you have to lug around a converter box with your lap top if your using a on air signal?.......

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Question: If you have a lap top or desk top and you have a TV tuner installed what will happen 02/2009 with this new analog / digital deal if your connected to a on air antenna.
Will you have to lug around a converter box with your lap top if your using a on air signal?.......
Only if your tuner card is an analog NTSC-only tuner.

If its an ATSC tuner, you can get OTA digital no problem (signal quality aside, of course)

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
To be honest, there isn't a 'good' one. With the 2009 switch over from analog it is pointless to buy an analog device with it just around the corner. With that said, that also takes out any good options.

Your options are limited:

Hauppauge's Notebook Express Card
http://www.hauppauge.com/

EVGA's USB TV Tuner
http://www.evga.com/default.asp

AVerMedia's Hybrid NanoExpress
http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AverTV/

The comments I've seen and heard is the Express cards run hot and can suck up the ram usage quickly. The USB I've personally not played with at all but have heard it can have a delay of 2-3 seconds and sometimes cause the audio to not be in sync with the video.

So in short, your kinda up the creek without a paddle for the time being. I'll look into seeing what I can dig up about new devices coming out in the near future and post back if I find anything out.

Best of luck.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM

23,985 posts, read 23,225,883 times
The reason I questioned the tuner card is. I currently have a very old computer going on 7+ years old the 15" monitor is either 8-9 years old.
Planing on getting into a lap top 15-17 inch. And I just got curious on the TV tuner card, I had no idea about the ram. I guess I'll save the money. Thanks for the input. Any great I cannot live with out Lap Tops out their.....?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
Not to totally hi-jack the thread.....

Laptops to die for, is there such a thing? Sorry, not a huge laptop fan. They run hot and typically cost way to much to upgrade. Just my personal opinion. My personal belief when buying a laptop is get everything you think you will use and then upgrade it a bit more from the get go. If a laptop is what you need, I would go after a Dell. The rest just haven't figured it out yet, again imo.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 PM

93 posts, read 263,631 times
HP has totally figured out laptops!! And they're wayyy better than....Dells...ughh...lol. Mine is basically AMAZING!! hahaha I <3 HP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or