Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,591 times

Advertisements

mod cut: remove inflammatory statements

I am software Engineering and have use tons of Operating System. From old IBM Mainframe, OS 2, Dos, Windows, IRIX, Altix, Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, Knoppix, Debian, Suse) and Mac Os X. I am tell you all the OSes have its fault. In fact, Windows does in sucks in may ways but Mac OS can get annoying too. People try too much to try depicit Mac OS as faultless perfect OS that is better than everything else.

Windows XP is actually quite realiable for simple tasks. I had my Windows XP running for months with problem when I paying simple gaves or browsing the web. You want simple program, hopefully free, the best is for Windows System. You can find tons of great freeware and install and run simply. Mac Os, you will harder time to find something. For example, I watch a ton of Anime and the best software code package for it is CCCP. It decodes the video the fastest with any hiccups. You can get CCCP on Mac or Unix. You will need stick with Mplayer, VLC, or Mac quicktime plugin. However play is SO MUCH slower. Of course another case is gaming, tons games for Windows but not for Mac OS. That why hardcore games have lastest windows boxes (High GPUs) not Macs or Linux.

However, when push it with powerful games, software, server code its crashes! Mac OS is defintely better and it can be great workstation for graphics. However, unix server still has best readily. Some of our Unix boxes have been running for YEARS (10 years+) without crashing. A lot of it has do with fancy gui you see in Mac Os or winblows. I personally program with command line interface and simple vim. The programs run just fine espcially since you wont' have worry about GUIs crashing. Mac OS has nice Gui, but its useless when you are using Command line interface. Most all web servers are running on Unix (bet Apple Website and Microsoft all run on unix servers). You all run database server (orcale) on unix/linux boxes since it very reliable. Mac Os are hardly ever used for these cases. Of course many version of Linux is completely free unlike Macs or Windows. I will admit unix sometimes sucks on GUI stuff, which why use windows at home when I am not working.

One my biggest complaint is excessive price you need to pay one a fasionable Mac. It is truely overpriced because people happily got buy lastest Fad without question. I build my own computer at home, but with Apple I am force by thier expensive hardware. Also, it bad idea to upgrade hardware in a Mac since driver for that upgrade part may not be there. Then you pay $$$ for bunch of mac software which you usually can get for free in Windows or Linux. I am running old 4 year box dual booting Windows and Linux and it run just fine. I don't need replace it for years to come.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: remove some rude comments - remainder of post under review...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

I am software Engineering and have use tons of Operating System. From old IBM Mainframe, OS 2, Dos, Windows, IRIX, Altix, Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, Knoppix, Debian, Suse) and Mac Os X. I am tell you all the OSes have its fault. In fact, Windows does in sucks in may ways but Mac OS can get annoying too. People try too much to try depicit Mac OS as faultless perfect OS that is better than everything else.

Windows XP is actually quite realiable for simple tasks. I had my Windows XP running for months with problem when I paying simple gaves or browsing the web. You want simple program, hopefully free, the best is for Windows System. You can find tons of great freeware and install and run simply. Mac Os, you will harder time to find something. For example, I watch a ton of Anime and the best software code package for it is CCCP. It decodes the video the fastest with any hiccups. You can get CCCP on Mac or Unix. You will need stick with Mplayer, VLC, or Mac quicktime plugin. However play is SO MUCH slower. Of course another case is gaming, tons games for Windows but not for Mac OS. That why hardcore games have lastest windows boxes (High GPUs) not Macs or Linux.

However, when push it with powerful games, software, server code its crashes! Mac OS is defintely better and it can be great workstation for graphics. However, unix server still has best readily. Some of our Unix boxes have been running for YEARS (10 years+) without crashing. A lot of it has do with fancy gui you see in Mac Os or winblows. I personally program with command line interface and simple vim. The programs run just fine espcially since you wont' have worry about GUIs crashing. Mac OS has nice Gui, but its useless when you are using Command line interface. Most all web servers are running on Unix (bet Apple Website and Microsoft all run on unix servers). You all run database server (orcale) on unix/linux boxes since it very reliable. Mac Os are hardly ever used for these cases. Of course many version of Linux is completely free unlike Macs or Windows. I will admit unix sometimes sucks on GUI stuff, which why use windows at home when I am not working.

One my biggest complaint is excessive price you need to pay one a fasionable Mac. It is truely overpriced because people happily got buy lastest Fad without question. I build my own computer at home, but with Apple I am force by thier expensive hardware. Also, it bad idea to upgrade hardware in a Mac since driver for that upgrade part may not be there. Then you pay $$$ for bunch of mac software which you usually can get for free in Windows or Linux. I am running old 4 year box dual booting Windows and Linux and it run just fine. I don't need replace it for years to come.
That tore it for me for Apple.

I had a Mac Mini that I bought just over a year ago----------due in part to Apple's perceived reputation for quality. Well; the hard drive died one month out of warranty.

Thought about another Apple machine but; aside from the Mac Pro.........they do not offer a singe 'modular design' computer--------and, I am not payin' no $2,700+ for the privilege (sp) of owning another Mac.

Translation: I bought an H-P Pavilions tower with Windows Vista; thus far I have had far fewer problems than anticipated due to Vista's bad reputation. Apparently; mine being a Service Pack I with its 64 bit OS is significantly better than the early ones............too, this box has 4 Gig of RAM.

The one snakebite I had was my 3 YO Lexmark printer has no driver available so I said 'screw it' and bought an H-P printer ($60) that is 64 bit compatible. Installed the drivers and all is well.

Back to the Mac Pro: it is quite easy to upgrade, etc. but if I were to pay that same $2,700 for a PC------------it would be psychotically 'ballsy' which would be flagrant overkill.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
Well if you know it all and mac osx ain't for you then feel free to continue living your life without it. I don't see the problem?
p.s. you may want to work on your spelling and grammar a bit if you wish to be taken seriously.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Well if you know it all and mac osx ain't for you then feel free to continue living your life without it. I don't see the problem?
p.s. you may want to work on your spelling and grammar a bit if you wish to be taken seriously.
Oh, I think that's hitting below the belt, don't you?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

I don't know what you're complaining about here, it appears you like every system for what it is. You like Window for this, and Mac for that and Linux for that....
Everyone buying their OS for variety of reasons. I prefer Mac, as i do photography. I used to have Windows but it kept being bugged by viruses, spyware and other annoying stuff, so i switched.
I paid less then $1000.00 for my IMac, i got all i need, i didn't pay anything extra for any bundles of software.
While someone might pay higher price for Mac, they might benefit of not having a headache of running Anti-this and Anti-that software, which does slow down your system tremendously.
You might agree or disagree, but i need environment where i don't have to bother with slow-downs and pop-up virus checks every so often.

Like i said before, everyone gets system for their own reasons.
I'd rather pay more for machine that works, then spending time fixing other things that go wrong.

Cheers!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Who is going to go and buy UNIX for a home computer? I`m sure all the latest games are compatible with Unix.

Windows is for home users nice and simple and pretty, UNIX is for people who are computer gurus no comparison.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Who is going to go and buy UNIX for a home computer? I`m sure all the latest games are compatible with Unix.
First of all you don't need "buy" unix/Linux just go downloaded it for free. This probably biggest plus point of unix systems. Second of all, I used Linux many times as main home PC. Linux is very suitable for emailing/web browsing. For experience user (not super expert here), I do almost anything I need to do using Unix.

Need mentioned Linux being compatible for the Latest game, neither is Mac OS. Though most of my free games work fine on Linux. I still Windows for most "high end" games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Windows is for home users nice and simple and pretty, UNIX is for people who are computer gurus no comparison.
This might be a way to put it. For superior performance and reliability people should learn Linux and use it most other gurus. Most other users can use Windows. Note, Macs really doesn't bit anywhere except maybe for a few niches. Like media and graphics.

If Mac OS was open source, distributed for free, and worked on all x86 (Intel, AMD, etc) boxes then just maybe it might be OK choice. However, Mac OS is far from 100% open source or free. Also, Mac EULA prohibits people from installing it on non-mac hardware. Technically speaking Mac OS X should be able to run on ALL x86 hardware, not just Mac hardware. But it doesn't since, Apple INTENTIONALLY stops it from working on non Mac Hardware. Apple and Mircosoft these are very simliar in thier annoying policies and you need "jail break" them often to work as you want

Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Well sorry for grammar and spelling. This time I posted it without proof reading it I usually reserve extensive proof reading for work/homework

Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Slightly off topic, but I've been trying to convince certain politicians that goverment would save money by not having to spend millions of dollars on new versions of Windows.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
I have several computers of each flavor, Im a computer guy after all. I have a mac laptop, a few pc ones, and a few linux ones. (many Mostly for testing and learning) While any can do the job of the average home user some are better suited. I've found that recently the mac suits me for what Im doing. (with vm's running xp and ubuntu). I dont hype osx or anything like that, it works for me, and if someone asks me, thats what Ill tell them. Luckily for me M$ software is as good as it is. Thats what pays the bills.
- As regards to the govt deal. I kinda agree with you. We get a good licensing deal at my work (school), and the govt does as well. Its still probably substantial amount. They would most likely have to hire higher end tech support people too. ($$). I think there are Definitely places that they should be using it, servers and such, not end users. For a combination of cost, better security, longer life, less trouble etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers