U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM

25,163 posts, read 48,873,259 times

Advertisements

Online course isn't working. I just had 1 GB installed today in addition to the 1/2 GB, the online course still runs unbelievably slow and practically doesn't work at all. Very concerned about what I need to do. Any ideas of what I should do? My PC is about 3 years old......should I get another 1 GB installed or take the newly installed out and get refund. Internet connection is pretty fast, no issues there, warcraft 3 runs pretty fast no issues, youtube no issues, no issues prior to the addition of the 1GB; however, online course still doesn't work either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,170,994 times
By "Online Course" do you mean that you are going to the School website, logging in and opening pages to do the coursework?

If so it may not be your computer at all, it may be their servers are so overloaded that they are running painfully slow.

If that is the case try logging in at off-peak times like VERY early in the morning or the middle of the night and see if the performance improves.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM

Yes I am going to their website, logging in, etc.

I will try the off-peak times.....like the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
By "Online Course" do you mean that you are going to the School website, logging in and opening pages to do the coursework?

If so it may not be your computer at all, it may be their servers are so overloaded that they are running painfully slow.

If that is the case try logging in at off-peak times like VERY early in the morning or the middle of the night and see if the performance improves.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,170,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes I am going to their website, logging in, etc.

I will try the off-peak times.....like the middle of the night.
I'm sorry... it sucks I know! When too many people are trying to log-in and do the work at the same time it just gets crazy. You might as well go make a sandwich in between pages. Just experiment and try to find a time that isn't so busy.

And I would keep the extra gig of ram anyway...at least your WOW will run better. I'm running a gig now and I need MORE ...my RPGs still tend to stutter once in awhile and my newest one won't work at all.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
What kind of cleanup programs do you use? Also, defrag?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 PM

how do I go in and defrag? I defrag about 5 months or more ago....but forgot how to

Old 08-23-2008, 10:07 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Try auslogics disk defrag. This is a lot faster than the defrag program that came with your computer. Then run CCleaner. It should run better after that. But also run a-squared Antimalware. Make sure your Microsoft security updates are downloading.

This should be a good start, for now. If you have problems, getting rid of anything, there are other programs -- not all of them work the same way nor do they all have the same protective abilities.

Also, you should have an anti-virus program and firewall.

Most of the above programs are pretty much intuitive in nature, but if you have any questions, shoot.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 08-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: minor edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers