Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 AM

519 posts, read 1,691,874 times

Advertisements

So I'm really just a novice creating a gradebook from scratch. I'm editing my gradebook (create in Excel 03) in my new Excel 07. I used to be able to copy and paste one formula down the rows, and the numbers would adjust, but now I can't. And I know there is a simpler way than changing E21 to E22 to E23, etc. This is my formula:

=$B$51*B78+$C$51*C78+$D$51*D78+$E$51*E78 (it continues on until Q, but you get the idea).

In old Excel I was able to copy the formula straight down the column, and $B$51 would change to $C$52 to $D$51 ... even when I got rid of the $, the formula wouldn't change per row.

I don't even know if I am adequately explaining myself ... I really don't know how to do any of this stuff ..

What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,483,973 times
Been a while, but I think that if you highlight it then place the cursor in the lower right corner of the originating cell until it turns into a black plus sign (note the lower right corner has a small black square in it) then drag down the column it will do what you want.

No guarantees, though!

OK, just did it in Excel 2003 and it worked.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
The $ signs in the formulas indicate Absolute Reference to specific cells. When you delete the $ and copy the formula, the copied formulas (formulae? ) will point to different cells than the original formula, which may be breaking the formula for you. I suspect that the problem you are having is related to reference. Take a look at the help files for "absolute reference" and adjust your formulas accordingly before copying.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM

519 posts, read 1,691,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Been a while, but I think that if you highlight it then place the cursor in the lower right corner of the originating cell until it turns into a black plus sign (note the lower right corner has a small black square in it) then drag down the column it will do what you want.

No guarantees, though!

OK, just did it in Excel 2003 and it worked.

Thanks! I just did it, and I had to choose "copy cells" and it worked! Thanks very much .. I was getting really stressed and losing sleep because I couldn't figure it out .. and I found nothing on Google.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers