U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

my evo N610c starts up and you see the compace screen then the next screen states: A disk read error occured- press ctl+Alt+Del to restart.

Help is the hard drive dead?
[EMAIL="june91c@hotmail.com"]june91c@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
I was just browsing around, looking for replies to such a problem and saw this. I'd run it past Tek Freek or Mensa Guy first.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM

532 posts, read 2,131,737 times
Most likely time for a hard drive for you...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Good chance you need a hard disk, but get a geek to confirm. If it makes a repeated clicking sound, the disk is probably dead. The operating system sees the hard disk, but actually only sees the contro9ller card, so you get a read error instead of a missing boot device error. It's possible for a repair to be done using the Windows Recovery Console, but I doubt it in the case of a read error/reboot. Find a local geek to confirm.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:15 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,363,245 times
June, do you have the Compac disks that should have come with the machine? Can you put a restore disk or install disk into the CD player and reboot? If you can but the system does not read the CD then you'll have to break into the Bios to set the read order to CD first. Tech support will probly walk you through that process.

Understand, you ARE about to lose any (ALL) data you have stored on your hard drive. You may be able to get a technician to attempt some data recovery but it may cost a bit. Unless you have a son-in-law or someone who's a technician.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Might depend on where the error is.

If you have someone (I am assuming this is a desktop since you didn't tell em and I'm not going to look it up) that can install this drive as a secondary drive in their system, have them do so and run

My Computer>Right-click drive C:>Properties>tools tab>Check Now>Check both boxes>Click OK/Yes

Reboot and let it run at start up. It might fix the error depending on what it is.

I freely admit this is a long shot and there are probably better programs to use for a repair attempt.

If nothing else you might be able to see the drive and pull any data off you want to save.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,363,245 times
The problem here is no access to the hard drive...
Quote:
you see the compace screen then the next screen states: A disk read error occured
Therein the suggestion to access BIOS and/or use a boot disk or ultimately try a re-install. If a re-install won't go then it's bye bye hard drive.

There is a device at the techy store that can plug up to a removed hard drive that tries to read it so you can extract data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers