U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Yeah, I've got the annoying pop up and countdown window as well. This computer was bought overseas in a country where everything is a pirated knock off.

Oh gee, you mean this may not be a genuine Microsoft product? I'm heartbroken. How dare I use a non licensed operating system?

I'm just afraid that now that Microsoft spyware has determined that I have a pirated version of Windows XP they'll try to install some kind of remote self destructing mechanism into my operating software.

Wouldn't put it past them.
Actually, after a time, it will quit working without anybody doing anything. At some point, you'll have to validate Windows before you can log in.

On Windows Vista, this even happens with the Enterprise version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Actually, after a time, it will quit working without anybody doing anything. At some point, you'll have to validate Windows before you can log in.

On Windows Vista, this even happens with the Enterprise version.
Being goofy here - lol!

Which means that Windo$e rots away over time not knowing who, what, or where it is.

Windo$e needs to be shown "Love" (fund$) after awhile.

After awhile Windo$e wants a divorce hence wanting a Validation many have trouble redoing hence then the judgment is that one has to spend more dollar$ for a new (spouse) M$ O$ or computer with M$ already installed.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
If you want to read it from its source you must click the above link then this link from the first post: http://arstechnica.com/journals/mic...hoose-microsoft (broken link) that will work only from there and no place else - it's not even working from here for some reason.
Here is the trick. Right click the original link, left click Properties, right click the address, Select all, copy, and here is the link that will work anywhere:
Microsoft executive: Pirating software? Choose Microsoft!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Here is the trick. Right click the original link, left click Properties, right click the address, Select all, copy, and here is the link that will work anywhere:
Microsoft executive: Pirating software? Choose Microsoft!
Thanks Brian, I just tried that I cannot get "properties".

Are you using IE?

I'm using Firefox.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Yep, I'm using FF. If you right-click on any link, you get this pop-up box. Properties is at the very bottom of that box. Once you click on properties, you can see the link you want, in its entirety. Here is a link to Google. So if you right click that link, click on properties, then you'll see "http://www.google.com"

Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Yep, I'm using FF. If you right-click on any link, you get this pop-up box. Properties is at the very bottom of that box. Once you click on properties, you can see the link you want, in its entirety. Here is a link to Google. So if you right click that link, click on properties, then you'll see "http://www.google.com"
I don't get a properties at all no matter what I do.

I just remembered and see what's happening - the FF in Windows and in Linux ARE different.

I know it's different b/c for instance to change the page browser (not links) preferences are in different places between the two OS versions.

BTW: I've posted links here before but this one was odd that it didn't work like the rest I placed in C-D.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Hmm, I didn't realize you were using Linux, or that there would be a difference.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,211 times
Quote:
Hmm, I didn't realize you were using Linux, or that there would be a difference.
Depends on the distribution - many customize firefox, some use code straight from devs.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM

It may not be all that hard to get this little bit added if you wanted. Might just be a matter of asking somebody who is familiar with this stuff.

This is my FF:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1

Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Yeah, I've got the annoying pop up and countdown window as well. This computer was bought overseas in a country where everything is a pirated knock off.

Oh gee, you mean this may not be a genuine Microsoft product? I'm heartbroken. How dare I use a non licensed operating system?

I'm just afraid that now that Microsoft spyware has determined that I have a pirated version of Windows XP they'll try to install some kind of remote self destructing mechanism into my operating software.

Wouldn't put it past them.
I had a hard drive wiped and XP re-installed on a computer we own. The friend who did it did not inform me the copy of XP he was going to use had already been installed on a number of computers. I got it activated over the phone, but after installing some hardware drivers, I had to re-activate it within 3 days. Eventually I could no longer log in. That machine is running ubuntu right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers