U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM

823 posts, read 1,324,312 times

Advertisements

I have just re-tooled, and now dealing with Vista. I am having a major font size problem and cannot figure what to do. Even on this site: titles may be a proper or comfortable size to read, and other information (like date, or thread starter, or any other descriptive) may be so small, I have to lean up and squint to make it out. So far, I have adjusted by the bottom right corner, where I can 'customize', by using (usually 145) a percentage change in fonts size. This spreads the page size to a point of having to use arrow keys constantly;
what a bummer. It seems each of my sites (newspapers, for instance) are different, and each has to adjust every time I bring them up. Also, it seems that at 100%, the view uses only a part of the screen width. What can I do ?? Where are some fine tuning adjustments ??

Last edited by burr; 08-27-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: spellings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
What screen resolution and windows font size (DPI) are you using? How does the page look in a different browser like Firefox? Use the snipping tool (type snip in the search box on the start menu) to post a screen shot if you can.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM

New Windows Vista user is lost !-samplepage.jpg

If this works, you are the man ! This would be the difference in font size I'm dealing with on a 100% page, also does not use entire width of screen. I've moved around from 144 to 155 or so on the windows font size, it helps but if I get too large, my windows extend beyond the page (screen) limits and I can't 'apply', 'cancel', etc (choices). Screen resolution is almost but noit all the way to the right bar - 1140x950 ?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I have an add-on called "NoSquint" for FireFox. Might try that. Also, you can hit Ctrl with one finger and use the scroller on the mouse to adjust, but you would have to be doing it every time the screen changed. NoSquint works for an entire site, I believe. I have mine set at 140% at intervals of 5%. So, if I use the scroller with NoSquint, then each change represents a 5% difference.

It can adjust for text only, or for images and text. Also there's an exception feature, which may have to do with setting a particular site, but I'm not sure how that works. I haven't fully explored it, yet.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

OK, besides the problem I've got with font size differences onscreen, now I have started receiving an 'HP Product Assistant' window that keeps popping up and a follow-up window instructing me to insert the HP Product Assistant disc (for it to continue & complete). I have received no such disc; all programs and such were pre-installed.

BUT - yesterday, I installed a new HP printer/scanner/copier and it DID come with an installation disc, only not IDed as 'HP Product Assistant'. The pop-ups started after installation, and I've inserted the deskjet installation CD for the first couple pop-up requests, but I'm wondering what the heck is going on with this thang ?

HP assistance is a hoax - stayed on hold for literally 50 minutes, and waited equally for online help.

So, has anybody got anything for me ? I'm feelin' about like goin' back to the days...

Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
HP's software is total crap. You might try running msconfig and see if you can find it and uncheck it so it won't start when Windows does. Look in the startup tab.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM

Two months later, a status report. On the suggestion of this forum, I installed Firefox - and all Vista users should BE REQUIRED to switch. It took a solid month or more of fighting with this new thang and I finally went to FF. IT FIXES THE FONT SIZE PROBLEM - YES. Comfortable print size is provided on all sites now, after initial set-up. And set-up is basically non existant, it is that easy. Thanks for the suggestion, very much

now, if I could only get my HP printer/scanner/copier to work...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
I have had vista for about a year how and no such problems. Boy ;that is weird. Used XP before and frankly veen with all teh compaints mine has been fione and alot moe satble than Xp and that includes my wifes. Both HPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or