U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,770,606 times

Advertisements

I've created a simple five-minute movie project of photos, music, transitions, etc (no menu nor chapters) using an older version of Pinnacle Studio that came with my computer (ver. 8.6). It just won't render and I don't know why.

The program worked fine once before with a very similar project, and it recently worked with a simple project of a slide-show of photos (no music and few transitions.)

But with this project, ack!!

My first attempt at rendering left me with an error message in Martian saying something about an expected something in the video stream at the sequence header. (huh?) I rechecked my project and could find no errors.

Further attempts at rendering caused a program crash at various spots - it never hung up at the same place to give me a clue to the problem spot. Sometimes it would only go 30 seconds before hanging, other times to 3 minutes before the freeze, and yet other times it would go merrily along and then all of a sudden skip over dozens of frames to the end.

Before subsequent rendering attempts, I tried turning off my 'net access, AVG virus, and anything else I could think of believing something was conflicting in the background. That hasn't made any difference.

I'm running XP sp2, have 512 RAM, Pentium 4, 2.60GHz, 149 GB with 113 GB free space.

Has anyone who uses Pinnacle had rendering problems and know a work-around or know where the heck I can go to get some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Edit: Found this!

Pinnacle Studio 8?

Good forum info here. A link to later patches (post 8. March 2005 @ 18:11) that apparently helped the original poster with problems. Might fix yours, too!

You can also give us a list of what is in the Startup tab of the same window that opens above and we will go over what's in it for you.

If not, then

Start/Run/type in msconfig.sys/OK

At the screen click on the general tab and note which radio button is set and what checks are in the boxes at the bottom. You will need this info later. Place a dot in the Diagnostics Startup radio button.

Click OK and restart. Try it again. Bit of a long shot.

After testing put everything back where it was and restart.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 AM

Thanks Tek Freek for the link to Pinnacle Studio 8 forum -- in my 'net search I hadn't found that one. I now have a new list of hints and tips to try, and as well, I'll use your tip of Diagnostics Startup.

It's been so frustrating to have worked probably at least 40 hours on a project to have it stuck in my computer ... grrrr

Once I'm beyond this (and I will be, come he** or high water), do you or anyone else here have a recommendation for movie-making software that's more reliable than Pinnacle? Although the version I'm using is quite elderly, I've been reading about the newest versions still having issues.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
I use Nero, but it always seems to have a bug or two. I stopped updating mine when I found the "latest" was a total disaster. I am staying with 6.x forever.

Like all other programs I've tried for this type of work you have to learn the tweaks required.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Update

I've taken Step One .. thanks to forums (and thanks Tek_Freek for sending the link!) I found many people mention defrag ... so I did .. oh boy what a mess my computer was in with files and fragments scattered all over the place. I haven't had the guts to give movie rendering another try yet, but I'm wondering if some of my hang problems had to do with no contiguous space large enough for the file to be created. Perhaps that's a quirk of Pinnacle that it needs contiguous space.

What I also discovered after the defrag process was a fragmented subprogram of Pinnacle, so perhaps a reinstall is necessary.

As for Pinnacle Studio, although the learning curve is steep and long, I find it's an easy software to use. I just wish that when a problem occurs there would be some sort of hint given as to the cause!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Default Final Update

Well, boys and girls, Pinnacle won this battle. I give up. My long-worked-on project only partially exists now. Since my project was in an unrendered form, certain parts of it were still linked to various files (for backgrounds and titles and such), and somehow those links were broken. Although all my still shots, music and sound effects, and transitions are in the correct places on the timeline, all the titles are gone and replaced with black spaces.

I did try rendering again, and without success. However, I was able to render the project as .avi, but in that format my movie can't, of course, play on a DVD player hooked to my TV. I did research conversion software, but honestly and truthfully it was a half-hearted search because I truly don't feel like recreating all my missing titles and backgrounds - I'm too pessimistic about Pinnacle to believe that after recreation I can even render the finished product in .avi.

One thing I did discover in all this mess -- one of my sounds was mp3 (all the others were wavs). Although Pinnacle works well with mp3, the problem was that the program is hitched to RealPlayer for its mp3s, and I've had nothing but trouble with RealPlayer, RealAudio, etc. since forever. Oddly, RealPlayer never showed up on Task Manager as running (not as an application nor a process). Nowhere within Pinnacle could I find a setting to change the default player from RealPlayer to anything else. For whatever reason, any Real program causes huge conflicts in my system (it can even disable my Sound Recorder).

So, long story short, if I decide to work on a movie ever again, it'll be after I do some in-depth research to movie making software - I won't bother with the Pinnacle program I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or