U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times

Advertisements

I've tried everything to speed up a sluggish computer. It's a 3-year old 256M, which was cleaned of bloatware upon delivery.
I have Windows XP.
I'm running AVG Free for security, and occasionally run Ad-aware as a double check, and there doesnt seem to be any lurking malware.
I just ran Advance Optimizer, which corrected a 3-year accumulation of 454 registry errors.
I never use the computer for games or downloading large files.
I cleaned the disk and defragged. 88% free space.
I've uninstalled every large program that I don't think I use.
I emptied the trash.
I suffer from memory leak, but it takes about 6 hours of browsing before my commit charge requires refreshing the browser.
I have cable hi-speed, and my download speed test just clocked at 7,500 kps download and 540 kps upload.
When I reboot and open IExplorer, it takes about 25 seconds for the browser to open 'about blank'. Clicking on a common website link (like google, or city-data) takes anywhere from 8 to 25 seconds to open. I've tried FireFox, same performance, except worse memory leak.

What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
The very first thing you need to do is upgrade your RAM. Put in as much as the motherboard will support.

While you're waiting for the new memory to arrive (because you've already ordered it, right? ), you can check what programs are starting at bootup/login and disable the ones that aren't essential. You'll find the shortcuts to these in

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

There's also some stuff in the registry, in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There's a few other places in the registry, but those two are where most of that stuff is put.

Then you can go into the system services and set any services that are unnecessarily set to Automatic to Manual or Disabled.

All of these things require some specific knowledge as to what the programs do and the impact that disabling them will have. If you're not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that you know EXACTLY what disabling a program or service will do, leave it alone. Making a mistake in the registry or disabling a service that shouldn't be disabled can effectively brick your system.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
CCleaner should help -- it takes just a few seconds to run. And try a-squared free. If you can, it would help to get more RAM. Crucial.com will scan your computer and tell you the appropriate RAM to get for your machine.

Also, a faster defrag program is Auslogics defrag.

Gotta go back to work...

Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Give us a print screen of what you find in

Start/Run/msconfig/OK/Startup tab

Only those items with a check in the box are pertinent.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Give us a print screen of what you find in

Start/Run/msconfig/OK/Startup tab

Only those items with a check in the box are pertinent.
Not a printable screen, so I manually copied them:

realsched
issch
avgtray
ctfmon
msmsgs
YahooMessenger
Adobe Reader Sp...
MLB.TV NexDef Pl...

I presume I still have the same RAM I had 6 months ago. I'd be happy to have half the speed I had then. I ran CCLeaner, no help.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM

I think I found it. I uninstalled that ****** ****** ************* **** Nex Def Plug-in from MLB.TV to enable me to watch the enhanced live streaming baseball games. Now things are abut twice as fast. It was only a 16Mb file, but, Oh, what a difference without it!

Last edited by jtur88; 09-06-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not a printable screen, so I manually copied them:

realsched
issch
avgtray
ctfmon
msmsgs
YahooMessenger
Adobe Reader Sp...
MLB.TV NexDef Pl...

I presume I still have the same RAM I had 6 months ago. I'd be happy to have half the speed I had then. I ran CCLeaner, no help.

Realsched tells me you have Real Player installed. Uninstall it. It is a POS program that does nothing but cause problems. If you must watch Real format videos, you can download Real Alternative. It will run those files without loading your PC up with background processes etc.

Also turn off msmsgs and YahooMessenger, unless you absolutely need them to load on start up.

Do you have a firewall installed? Windows Firewall is weak, get the free version of Zone Alarm.It works great and will keep your PC protected when you browse. There is a slight learning curve, but it has a walkthrough when you first set it up.

Have you run chkdsk recently? Sometimes it can help.
Do you have auto updates turned on?
How about System Restore?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 6,157,859 times
Ditto on the memory. I'm surprised XP will even run on 256K if you have any service packs installed. You didn't say anything about cleaning out your cache, so definitely download and use CCleaner as suggested. My experience has been to just have it clean everything it asks about including your registry, if you're not sure how to do it manually. Also, AVG is a real memory hound, but it's a good program nonetheless. If you're vigilant about it, don't start it to autorun, but run it when you walk away from your system for a bit.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM

I don't even want msmsgs (is that messenger?) I never use it and never will. How do I get rid of it? I've refused the Windows Service Pack 3. Should I, and if so, how, get rid of earlier service packs? Neither msmsgs nor SP2 are in my control panel uninstall list. I use AVG because the McAfee package supplied by my ISP was a nightmare. Nowadays, a virus is fatal because if you have to get a new PC, it will be Vista, which might be as bad as XP with a virus. Yes, I did run CCleaner today. Without that nex-def plugin, I have much better speed, and I'm now happy with what Ive got.

Thanks so much for alll the tips. Sadly, googling does not turn up a nice concise list of maintenance tips for keeping a puter running smoothly. Somebody should collect all these, and put them in a sticky topic at the head of this board.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
You don't need Adobe startup running, either.

Remove the check from msmsg and reboot. After you boot check if the icon is in the system tray. If it is Right-click and exit.

Go to Program Files/Messenger

and rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs.NO.exe. This will block attempts to restart it. If you notice the icon back in the system tray later, go back and rename the new one. Some programs will reinstall the darn thing.

issch.exe is not required, it is:

InstallShield Update Service Scheduler. Automatically searches for and performs any updates to the software so you're always working with the most current version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or