U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,782,411 times

Advertisements

Rudbeckia, you absolutely can install XP...

The biggest issue is with the hard drive. Typically, the sata drives in the newer hp laptops aren't detected by the XP installation cd. However, if you have an XP installation cd, you can do whats called slipstreaming - or adding the drivers into the installation package, and burning a new installation CD.

nLite works great for this.

On an AutoCAD note, under no circumstances would I recommend CAD on Vista. Even 2009 (which I'm running) uses OpenGL. Vista does not directly support OpenGL, its DirectX only, so it interprets the OpenGL to DirectX.... VERY slow. Hideous when doing renderings.

Go the XP route, get a neighborhood kid to download the drivers, and use your own XP cd, along with nLite, to create your own custom "System Rescue" CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I considered getting a mac and running paralles, and loading windows so I could use CAD on it (cad will only work with windows)

But I didnt b/c I read it can causes problems, it that the same thing you are talking about with running Vista and XP on a PC, does that take up a lot of space on the computer??

Thanks for the link!!
Yeah, Parallels is made for both the mac and Windows with the goal of running Windows inside a virtual computer. I've run all three virtual computer programs and found Parallels to be the fastest. My old computer was a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory running XP. My current computer is a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz with 4GB of memory running Vista. When I run XP in Parallels on my current machine, its faster that it was running naively on my old computer. The new CPUs support hardware virtualization which really speeds things up. Some people even manage to play games inside Parallels so Autocad should do OK as long as you give it enough memory. You'll need to set aside enough disk space on your real hard drive to serve as the hard disk for the virtual machine but with disk space as cheap as it is, its not really an issue.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,756,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

The biggest issue is with the hard drive. Typically, the sata drives in the newer hp laptops aren't detected by the XP installation cd. However, if you have an XP installation cd, you can do whats called slipstreaming - or adding the drivers into the installation package, and burning a new installation CD.

On an AutoCAD note, under no circumstances would I recommend CAD on Vista. Even 2009 (which I'm running) uses OpenGL. Vista does not directly support OpenGL, its DirectX only, so it interprets the OpenGL to DirectX.... VERY slow. Hideous when doing renderings.

Go the XP route, get a neighborhood kid to download the drivers, and use your own XP cd, along with nLite, to create your own custom "System Rescue" CD.

That is what I have read, Vista is ridiculously slow for CAD.
What do you think about running windows on a Mac, and using a mac to do cad work?

Why do you think one computer company told me XP might not be able to be loaded?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah, Parallels is made for both the mac and Windows with the goal of running Windows inside a virtual computer. I've run all three virtual computer programs and found Parallels to be the fastest. My old computer was a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory running XP. My current computer is a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz with 4GB of memory running Vista. When I run XP in Parallels on my current machine, its faster that it was running naively on my old computer. The new CPUs support hardware virtualization which really speeds things up. Some people even manage to play games inside Parallels so Autocad should do OK as long as you give it enough memory. You'll need to set aside enough disk space on your real hard drive to serve as the hard disk for the virtual machine but with disk space as cheap as it is, its not really an issue.

What is the difference in "bootcamp" and running parallels, is that the same thing?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM

401 posts, read 919,913 times
Quote:
What is the difference in "bootcamp" and running parallels, is that the same thing?
Parallels is an $80 program that runs within the MacOS. So, you boot up into OS X, run Parallels and from there you can run Windows apps. It's a type of virtualization and, in my experience, runs a tad slower than Boot Camp.

Boot camp is free and allows you to boot into Windows just like a PC. Once you're in Windows, though, you won't have access to any files from your Mac partition. When you're ready to use OS X again, you must reboot again.

what is the difference between parallels and boot camp? - Mac Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM

I took my computer to a computer store today just to have them look at it, and they told me its IMPOSSIBLE to load XP on it. Everyone I talked to tells me something different, does this guy just not know what he is doing? They said there is a driver for "Sata" that is not available. Anyone know what that is?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM

654 posts, read 3,134,421 times
Nothing is impossible, anything can be accomplished.

Main point is, if you have the drivers for the motherboard, drives and other system necessities, you can wipe the hard drive clean and install XP onto it. Stores tell you its impossible because oftentimes they don't want to be bothered with figuring it out so therefore says it can't be done. That's the main problem with branded computers because alot of the hardware is proprietary and therefore difficult to find the proper drivers for them.

You could possibly create a dual-boot system with XP and Vista, but its best to make sure you have all the drivers on hand first.

I also second the notion for nLite, I have used it several times already to create custom XP installation discs with the included drivers and latest service pack. Works everytime.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,523,957 times
Quote:
Autocad 2006 and an old version of photoshop/Illustrator wont work with Vista.

What is Vista emulate XPSP2 ?
have you checked with Autodesk to see if they have come up with a fix for the 2006 version of Autocad? They did release information on how to install Autocad 2007 with Vista, not sure if they went any older than that. Autocad 2006 is about ot be retired by Autodesk, so I can see if they would not do such things.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I considered getting a mac and running paralles, and loading windows so I could use CAD on it (cad will only work with windows)

But I didnt b/c I read it can causes problems, it that the same thing you are talking about with running Vista and XP on a PC, does that take up a lot of space on the computer??

Thanks for the link!!
Autodesk is a stickler for what you install Autocad on, from what I had read they will not authorize correctly when used on a mac with Wine, that may just be the new versions of Autocad IE 2008-2009,

I forgot to add, now that Autocad 2006 is being retired, they do have special upgrade promotions to get into the newest versions of Autocad, sometimes the upgrade is only $600.00 instead of buying a new seat for $3995. you might want to call your reseller and check it out. Autocad 2009 has some really really good features, I use Autocad Architecture 2009, The new rendering engine if you do any sort of rendering 3-d work is much better than the old render engine pre 2007, some of the new tool palette features and the new quick properties are well sweet

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

As I have stated regularly with you, I run Autocad Architecture 2008 and 2009 on my Vista machine perfectly. I have been cranking out some very good realistic interior renders of some of my designs just fine. The renders take between 3-4 hours to do, but they come out looking just the way I needed them too. I can zoom around the multi story buildings with ease, and speed. No slow down whatsoever. With rendering the Video card matters very little when doing the final gather, ray trace, and indirect illuminations. The processor is the more important area with this.

this paticular render took 15 min. with everything but indirect illuminations turned on to the render preset for presentation (this was a test render to check my materials)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers