U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I'd be surprised if its true that xp cant be installed on it. We run xp on (at this point) 300 or so Toshibas that originally came with vista that we 'downgrade' to xp. No problems so far. But we dont use HP so i cant say.
If you wanted to run the mac, what you want should run in bootcamp just fine. I have a customer that now runs 100% on her mac in bootcamp with xp, for autodesk. She'd had some flaky pc laptops and heard macs were better, and asked me if it could be done, so I did it. And shes happy with it. It runs faster than any of her old laptops did. She runs xp sp2 on a macbook pro. I think its Autodesk 2008.
The $230-300 price is in the ballpark. It can easily take 4 hours to do. The software is on top. If they are selling you pirated software you may be asking for trouble later. If its someone Volume key, well you probably wont have problems later, but may.
Ive never had trouble setting up a sata drive in xp. As long as the driver is out there it should work. Its just an extra step. If your hp has funny buttons and extra hardware features, they may not be supported in xp. (like dells new silly video screen on the case)
You can download a program like this, which will give you all kinds of information about your computer.

Windows Version: Windows XP (5.1.2600) Home
License Information: TOSHIBA A55S306
Product ID: 55277-OEM-0011903-00111
Product Key: WDHPC-6WZPF-W3R3L-J2VF4-JFP2W
System Name: Satellite A55
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
Videocard Name: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
Installed Memory: 2,030.80 MB
Default Printer: HP DeskJet 840C/841C/842C/843C
Number of Installed Programs: 298 programs
Number of Running Processes: 61 processes
Internet Explorer Version: 7.0.5730.11 (0)
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904
Office Version: 11.0.8173.0

And that's just for starters.

PS: I did alter my product key a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,661 times
I've just checked up more about the laptop, and there are 31 Vista drivers and 4 XP drivers. So that tells me that either XP supports all but four of the components of the laptop, or that HP really do not want XP put on their laptops.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
I've just checked up more about the laptop, and there are 31 Vista drivers and 4 XP drivers. So that tells me that either XP supports all but four of the components of the laptop, or that HP really do not want XP put on their laptops.
I'm going to go with answer #2 on that one. If anything, I'd expect there to be more XP drivers since Vista is newer and supports more hardware out of the box and through Windows Update than XP does. I think HP's just lazy and doesn't give a damn about its customers in general or specifically anyone who wants to install XP.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,525,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm going to go with answer #2 on that one. If anything, I'd expect there to be more XP drivers since Vista is newer and supports more hardware out of the box and through Windows Update than XP does. I think HP's just lazy and doesn't give a damn about its customers in general or specifically anyone who wants to install XP.
I would say #2 as well. We have a printer that was released just before Vista was released. Well, HP felt it was in their best intrest to NOT develop a Vista driver for the printer, this was 2 months before the known Vista release date, brand new printer. I DO not like HP

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,756,563 times
Damn, I should have just forked out the doe and gotten a MAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers