U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,027,753 times

Advertisements

Drudge Report>>>>

My Thoughts: One way to hurt 'The Great Satan' would be to hack into vital computer systems. Someone is probably working on that-- won't need to send planes into buildings or release toxic poison or attack mass transit. Just sit in a cubicle and with a few key strokes--annihilate us all.

I don't see any reason why this could not happen.

Certainly hope that the Pentagon/CIA has considered this.

So many problems for the US. If you can--say a few prayers or think kind thoughts. Might help.

sls

~~~~~~
Hackers Attack Key Net Traffic Computers
Feb 06 6:43 PM US/Eastern
By TED BRIDIS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Hackers briefly overwhelmed at least three of the 13 computers that help manage global computer traffic Tuesday in one of the most significant attacks against the Internet since 2002.
Experts said the unusually powerful attacks lasted as long as 12 hours but passed largely unnoticed by most computer users, a testament to the resiliency of the Internet. Behind the scenes, computer scientists worldwide raced to cope with enormous volumes of data that threatened to saturate some of the Internet's most vital pipelines.

[rest of the article snipped - copyrights breitbart.com/news/2007/02/06/D8N4H5L80.html ]

Last edited by Administrator; 02-07-2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: rest of the article snipped - copyrights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times
I think that's retarded.

I'm all for white collar hacking.

(the good kind)

Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Default ?>??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
I think that's retarded.

I'm all for white collar hacking.

(the good kind)
I don't know what you mean.

It sounded pretty serious to me.

Always hoping to gain further insight into technological issues.

I don't know why a hacker with evil intent can't do serious harm to civilization? What will stop them?

sls

Old 02-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I don't know what you mean.

It sounded pretty serious to me.

Always hoping to gain further insight into technological issues.

I don't know why a hacker with evil intent can't do serious harm to civilization? What will stop them?

sls
Well I'm a huge computer person.

White collar hacking is hacking with the sense of security in mind. Checking to make sure bad things can't happen.

And I think the people that do those types of things are retarded. (the bad hacking)

You know why they do it?

Because they can, or because they think it's fun, or my favorite one that I hear.... Because I was bored.

Nothing will stop them. They do it because they just want to be known. Like the MY.Doom people that attacked Microsoft, they said they made that virus to show Microsoft that their products aren't secure. Well, I was infected with that, my computer shut down all the time, and weird things happened. There are much easier ways to tell Microsoft about bad products, it's called open a Web Site and tell them you found an exploit. Don't just go and take advantage of it.

It's just like phishing... People that can do that and have a clean conscious they just bother me.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Interesting

I will go back and read the articles I found about MS and hacking...

Always something --people attacking MS.

'phishing'--I need to read about that.

I went to a website --run by a guy in Taiwan--his site got attacked last fall. Had to close down --then he got it up again.

Good History site--one of the best places I have found on the web. A bit too intellectual for me--but worth the time spent there.

I have learned a great deal--came online with AOL and an ancient PC in 1999--fell behind in technology because I was teaching remedial reading...--at least that is my excuse.
I have been to a variety of forums---cannot imagine how all the parts of the technological systems work to allow me to post on a message board.

I know Bill Gates is idiosyncratic--but what a mind the man must have --as do all involved in programming etc.
I know MACs --Apple --preferred by the more advanced.

and that competition is fierce--
Again---art sounds better.

sls

Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I will go back and read the articles I found about MS and hacking...

Always something --people attacking MS.

'phishing'--I need to read about that.

I went to a website --run by a guy in Taiwan--his site got attacked last fall. Had to close down --then he got it up again.

Good History site--one of the best places I have found on the web. A bit too intellectual for me--but worth the time spent there.

I have learned a great deal--came online with AOL and an ancient PC in 1999--fell behind in technology because I was teaching remedial reading...--at least that is my excuse.
I have been to a variety of forums---cannot imagine how all the parts of the technological systems work to allow me to post on a message board.

I know Bill Gates is idiosyncratic--but what a mind the man must have --as do all involved in programming etc.
I know MACs --Apple --preferred by the more advanced.

and that competition is fierce--
Again---art sounds better.

sls
I like apple..

If I couldn't make it back to CA, I was going to buy an apple... Seeing as how I won't be able to make it back... I guess I'll buy an apple computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or