U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

So, my laptop hasnt been right since i had it. had to have a new dvd drive within a few days of bein bought, and when i got it back from the shop it woulsnt turn on! sent it back, got it fixed, then stopped working again! sent it back, got it back fixed, report says "updated BIOS" and now every time i turn it on, it starts up, gets half way thru loadin and restarts again, then says "windows failed to start". if i do the restore, or indeed just press continue, it works as normal. however its pretty annoyin, so i rang them back and they said i need to perform recovery after the BIOS was updated. is this right, or are they wrong? i dont trust them cos every time i ring there's some new problem!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM

646 posts, read 1,529,522 times
My God with all those problems you should have the whole thing replaced!!! Do it now before its too late.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 PM

yes well i have tried that but they just keep saying they will try to fix it

Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Who are "they"?

If it's a big box store I'd be talking to the manager, then the district manager, then.... Have an attorney call them. I'd also be asking for a refund.

If it's a Mom and Pop, ask one more time. If they won't replace it (I'd ask for a refund and go somewhere else), then have an attorney call them.

Time to get ugly in my opinion.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 PM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
HiggledyPiggledy -

Well you have choices of what you can do:

1) Return the entire thing and ask for a new laptop or refund.

2) Find someplace else to work on it for you if returning the laptop is not an option.

3) Reinstall your OS yourself.

Basically when they reset your bios it messed with more than just the bios. A fresh install of the OS is the first step that I would take, don't do a recovery. If you are still running into issues after you do that, you might have hardware conflicts.

Can you give us a bit more information on the system specs?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

right, well i only have a recovery cd, n dont know how to re install the OS, what is the diff between the 2?
system specs are;
windows vista, 32-bit operating system
laptop is an intel pentium dual cpu T2310 @1.46GHz 1.47 GHz if that's what u mean. RAM is 2038MB

Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
HiggledyPiggledy,

Ahhh the infamous Recovery CDs. I thought you meant that they wanted you to do a windows system recovery.

In that case, the Recovery CD is your OS. Basically they (dell, hp, acer etc) ship out the Recovery CDs with the OS on them and other utilities for their PC/Laptops.

In this case you just need to put the Recovery CD in your machine and boot it off the CD. It should ask you if you want to repair etc. You want to do a full format and fresh install. (If you have data on the laptop that you need, save it else where before doing this as it will be removed).

You might have to go into your bios to check to make sure the laptop will boot from the CD/DVD drive first. To do so, if I remember correctly, you will need to hit the DEL key on boot up and it will take you into the bios. In there you will have a boot order, change it so it is CD/DVD drive first and than hard drive second. Don't change anything else while in there. Save and exit.

After your reinstall, update all drivers.

Hopefully this will get you through all your issues. Like I said before, if you are still having issues you might have some Hardware Conflicts to deal with.

BTW, is this a Dell? Acer? HP? Compaq?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM

11,725 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Sounds to be like they flashed your BIOS. That should not be needed on a new machine. That was irresponsible tech work, and they should make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers