U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,767,359 times

Advertisements

I've been having issues with loading AOL (ok, I know, please don't laugh nor shake your head in disgust that I still use AOL). The problem seems to be with one program, ACSD.EXE -- it grinds away for sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes before I finally get the Welcome! announcement. I'm fine with that - I just walk away and get a cup of coffee while I'm waiting for ACSD to do its thing.

But, I'm curious about this: when I launch Task Manager to watch the processes run and grind, ACSD.EXE is in caps -- except for yesterday - it showed up as acsd.exe - all small letters.

I realize that in computering, the machine usually doesn't care, but in the case of an installed program with an established path, wouldn't a program or process name always show up as caps if that's how it was labeled by the programmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
No. Program names are ASCII characters. Older DOS programs typically showed up in all caps (the lower range of characters), and newer (or renamed) programs can be labeled with mixed case letters. There isn't a hardset convention on how these are displayed. Sometimes the first letter in a word is capitalized, sometimes it is all caps, sometimes all lower case.

If you are concerned that the program was changed, find where it lives in "My Computer", and set the "view" tab to "details". That will show the creation date and date the program was last modified.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
AOL Connectivity Service - starts an automatic function that restores the connection should you lose it while online. Negates having to go through the procedure of signing back on manually

Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 AM

harry chickpea -- thanks for the response ... interesting that when I found the program that it showed up in its path/location as small letters (opposed to how it looks in Task Manager as caps) - goes along, I guess, with ASCII and computers not giving a hoot about our alphabet and shift key.

As for dates, it was created July 20, 2006, and modified September 16, 2003, and last accessed today, September 18th (naturally). Newbie scratching head -- how can something be created in 2006 and then be modified three years earlier in 2003?

Another piece of data - file size is 1.32mb (1,388,648 bytes) and size on disk is 1.34mb (1,409,024 bytes). Are differences in numbers, such as this, a normal occurence in files and programs and such?

Tek_Freek - silly isn't it that for convenience sake a "service" can be so big - typical AOL in my experience to want to take over a person's machine from top to bottom. That aside, I'm guessing that whatever ACSD is looking for to launch isn't where it should be - whether ACSD finally finds what it wants or whether it just gives up, I don't know. I haven't had an occurence of getting booted, so I don't know if the function of automatic re-signon is working or not.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
..... Another piece of data - file size is 1.32mb (1,388,648 bytes) and size on disk is 1.34mb (1,409,024 bytes). Are differences in numbers, such as this, a normal occurence in files and programs and such? .....
Absolutely normal. Let's say a file is 28 bytes long and file sectors on a disk are formatted as 512 bytes. File size is shown as 28 bytes, and size on disk is 512, unless the sectors are grouped into clusters (which is always the case on multi-gigabyte hard disks), in which case the size on disk might be 4096 or some other number. Understanding this can make it much easier to comprehend what you see when the space consumed goes down when you copy a bunch of small files to a CD, where the physical space is much more efficiently organized.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Absolutely normal. Let's say a file is 28 bytes long and file sectors on a disk are formatted as 512 bytes. File size is shown as 28 bytes, and size on disk is 512, unless the sectors are grouped into clusters (which is always the case on multi-gigabyte hard disks), in which case the size on disk might be 4096 or some other number. Understanding this can make it much easier to comprehend what you see when the space consumed goes down when you copy a bunch of small files to a CD, where the physical space is much more efficiently organized.
Thanks for this information!

Now I'm going to go a tad off-topic from my OP and ask: when a program is installed or as it runs, does it send out a "message" requesting a 'reservation of space' for itself? I've been having a problem with a movie-making piece of software (won't render, just hangs up -- my woes are in another thread here), and now I'm wondering if part of the problem may be that the program doesn't reserve enough space for itself to create the proper temp files needed. Am I thinking logically or am I out in the ozone layer?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
"As for dates, it was created July 20, 2006, and modified September 16, 2003, and last accessed today, September 18th (naturally). Newbie scratching head -- how can something be created in 2006 and then be modified three years earlier in 2003?"

Pretty easily, actually. The only way the operating system knows what the date and time are is by checking the onboard time chip. There are many reasons why the date can be incorrect. A user might have put in the wrong date, the battery powering the time chip might have died, access to the program files might have been limited to a certain date range by the developer, the list goes on. Having a mod date earlier than a creation date could also be an indicator that the file has been hacked. It doesn't pass my smell test as a good thing, and given the time the program is taking I would consider uninstalling AOL entirely, and if you want it back, restoring from a new AOL CD or whatever they are giving out these days.

Responding to your new question, the operating system is supposed to handle memory management. You could have insufficient ram or bad ram. It also could be a corrupted or wonky program.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks harry chickpea for not responding in Martian ... I completely understand your comments. Hopefully I'll get enough guts to uninstall/reinstall AOL and see if that clears up the problem.

As for odd dates, over the years I had two (or maybe more) crashes that required repair, and knowing what I know now (thank you) about the time chip thing, who knows exactly what the computer's watch was saying when programs were being reinstalled.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
A lot of people have accidentally changed the date / time and not realized it for awhile. I've been on a number of boards where I notice a persons time or date is out of whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers