Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,225 times

Advertisements

I currently own a HP laptop. Here are my settings:

Processor:AMD Turion(tm) 64x2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.90 Ghz

Memory (RAM): 1983 MB

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Now you know a little bit about my computer specs, here is my issue. I bought a PC game and it takes up 10.8 GB of RAM. I use to play a video game about that size on this laptop and had little problems with lag. But with this new game i got i am having issues with lag. I uninstalled the previous game and did a bunch of performance improvement methods but seems nothing is working.

How do you improve the speed/performance of a laptop? Like maybe a external Hard Drive? I knew with a regular desktop i would just pop off the cover and had more RAM or improve the processor if needed. PLEASE give me whatever great advice i can use to enjoy this game i bought. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
The games takes 10.8 GB of RAM? HUH? Do you mean it takes 10.8 GB of hard drive space? How much space do you have available? Adding RAM is fairly easy on most laptops but your 1983 MB (probably 2GB minus video memory) should be sufficient. The lag you're experiencing is probably due to having integrated video and not a separate video card. That's how most laptops are made and there's nothing you can do about it. Laptops aren't really made for gaming.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Default hard drive space

how do i check to see how much hard drive space i have available? I knew that laptops arent great on gaming but i got one that was geared for entertainment purposes. So your saying nothing i can do? do you think an external hard drive might work/help a little?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
When you are having the lag issue watch the light that indicates hard drive activity. If it is on solid or blinking constantly then your game has used all available RAM and is now using the hard drive in lieu of RAM.

Not much you can do if you can't add more RAM, although you can try increasing the swap file size instead of allowing Windows to control it.

To find drive usage go to My Computer and right click the drive. Click Properties and you should see a pie chart.

To change the swap file size go to Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Performance/Advanced tab/Virtual Memory/Change

An external high speed drive might help, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Also, post what video adapter you have. Right click on My Computer, manage, device manager. Post what it says under video adapters. An external hard drive is unlikely to help because you're probably limited to USB and USB is not only slower than your internal drive, it uses more CPU which is only going to hurt the cause.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
Can we ask what game it is?10G seems like alot.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
There is also the possibility of files in the startup folder dragging down performance. A stripped down startup group could significantly improve things.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
HP is close to the top of the list when it comes to their computers being loaded with bloatware and runing poorly out of the box.
You didn't provide the spec on a key item when you discuss gaming, the graphics adapter. Also if your using Norton or Mcafee AV products they are a good source of performance loss.
Your game doesn't take up 10 gig or RAM as you don't have 10 gig of RAM, you have 2 gig. What is the game?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Also, post what video adapter you have. Right click on My Computer, manage, device manager. Post what it says under video adapters. An external hard drive is unlikely to help because you're probably limited to USB and USB is not only slower than your internal drive, it uses more CPU which is only going to hurt the cause.

Didnt find "Video Adapters" but found "Network Adapters". It says Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
NVIDIA nForce Networking controller

So hope this helps. If not give me more pointers. Thx.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
HP is close to the top of the list when it comes to their computers being loaded with bloatware and runing poorly out of the box.
You didn't provide the spec on a key item when you discuss gaming, the graphics adapter. Also if your using Norton or Mcafee AV products they are a good source of performance loss.
Your game doesn't take up 10 gig or RAM as you don't have 10 gig of RAM, you have 2 gig. What is the game?

The game is called Warhammer Online. You can get the specs on their website at www.warhammeronline.com. I basically moved on from this hence the long absence of not responding. But i decided to respond to peoples questions and learn more about laptops and gaming. Which overall it seems laptops are crap, and desktops ftw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers