U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,355,549 times

Advertisements

i have a pretty hefty computer so vista ran fine, or so i thought. when i ran it with xp it was quite a bit faster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
75 WOW!
when i have winamp, ie explorer, firefox,yahoo mess, avg, and zone alarm im using at most 49-52 im wondering what else your running to get to 75?

lots of background stuff for my design software and such.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM

526 posts, read 942,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
lots of background stuff for my design software and such.
AHH ok..
that explains it, i was gonna say wow
im stunned

Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
AHH ok..
that explains it, i was gonna say wow
im stunned
and even with all of that running, it still runs GREAT!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 21,479 times
Outside of the fact that it can run full 1080 hd on the desktop, No one can beat that.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I haven't even tweaked it and it runs fine. All the anti-Vista hype is mostly people not taking the time to find their way around it or people trying to run some 6 year old app or hardware on it and blaming Microsoft when it doesn't work.

Specs: Core2 Duo E6600, 3.3GB RAM, WD Raptor 74GB boot drive + 500GB mirrored data drive, nVidia 7600 PCIe video card. Presently sitting on 107 processes. I forget to close stuff because it doesn't seem to matter as much as it did under XP.
For basic use on a machine that can handle it, Vista isn't too much of a problem. For those who do more than that or run custom setups, it is a problem. Vista has core functionality issues that are more of a problem for people who use those features.

The driver fiasco was all MS's problem. Everyone likes to point fingers at the vendors, but the fact is MS's process for driver signing and development was horrid and a complete pain in the rear.

Vista wasn't ready for release. I spoke to my mothers friends two sons who both work for MS and they even said wait for about 2 years before getting it as it has way too many problems and was pushed out the door early.

Can you get Vista working with many things? Sure, with a lot of effort, a lot of tweaking and a lot of frustration, you "may" be able to get most setups to function fine. No guarantee on consistency, but you can work through the issues.

The problem is, if people are going to spend that much time and effort trying to tweak a system to work, they are better off taking that time and effort and applying it to a Linux distribution. Not only do you have full control over the kernel and various subsystems, but you can achieve much better results, reliability, security, and functionality than you would with MS.

So, for those who need an MS system that is reliable, they use XP and either wait for Vista to fix the problems most people don't know about, wait for the new OS release, or don't use it at all.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,645 times
I'm running Vista Home Premium on a laptop with Intel Core Duo CUP T2350 @ 1.86 ghz
2 gigs ram, 110 gig hard drive.

It works fine as long as I disable Aero - the translucent window borders. I also disabled the task bar thingy along the right edge of the desktop because my desktop is almost never exposed anyway. The only real beef I had were issues getting old versions of Office to run - I had to buy a new version just to import old emails from the Outlook 2000 I was running on my prior machine. And the biggest beef is compatibility with my HP all in one. It has Vista drivers, but it still doesn't let me use the onboard buttons for scanning, which is kind of annoying. Otherwise, no real problems.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
For basic use on a machine that can handle it, Vista isn't too much of a problem. For those who do more than that or run custom setups, it is a problem. Vista has core functionality issues that are more of a problem for people who use those features.

The driver fiasco was all MS's problem. Everyone likes to point fingers at the vendors, but the fact is MS's process for driver signing and development was horrid and a complete pain in the rear.

Vista wasn't ready for release. I spoke to my mothers friends two sons who both work for MS and they even said wait for about 2 years before getting it as it has way too many problems and was pushed out the door early.

Can you get Vista working with many things? Sure, with a lot of effort, a lot of tweaking and a lot of frustration, you "may" be able to get most setups to function fine. No guarantee on consistency, but you can work through the issues.

The problem is, if people are going to spend that much time and effort trying to tweak a system to work, they are better off taking that time and effort and applying it to a Linux distribution. Not only do you have full control over the kernel and various subsystems, but you can achieve much better results, reliability, security, and functionality than you would with MS.

So, for those who need an MS system that is reliable, they use XP and either wait for Vista to fix the problems most people don't know about, wait for the new OS release, or don't use it at all.
My centOS server crashes more than my vista machine. Linux is not all it is touted to be.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
My centOS server crashes more than my vista machine. Linux is not all it is touted to be.
Maybe a different Linux would work better? My two cnetOS worth...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Maybe a different Linux would work better? My two cnetOS worth...
I did have Umbuntu, and sabayon installed, but did not like the distros for server use. Centos is a redhat based distro and is very server oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers