U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,484 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd try mint, once I get a HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM

526 posts, read 942,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
For basic use on a machine that can handle it, Vista isn't too much of a problem. For those who do more than that or run custom setups, it is a problem. Vista has core functionality issues that are more of a problem for people who use those features.

The driver fiasco was all MS's problem. Everyone likes to point fingers at the vendors, but the fact is MS's process for driver signing and development was horrid and a complete pain in the rear.

Vista wasn't ready for release. I spoke to my mothers friends two sons who both work for MS and they even said wait for about 2 years before getting it as it has way too many problems and was pushed out the door early.

Can you get Vista working with many things? Sure, with a lot of effort, a lot of tweaking and a lot of frustration, you "may" be able to get most setups to function fine. No guarantee on consistency, but you can work through the issues.

The problem is, if people are going to spend that much time and effort trying to tweak a system to work, they are better off taking that time and effort and applying it to a Linux distribution. Not only do you have full control over the kernel and various subsystems, but you can achieve much better results, reliability, security, and functionality than you would with MS.

So, for those who need an MS system that is reliable, they use XP and either wait for Vista to fix the problems most people don't know about, wait for the new OS release, or don't use it at all.
you know that is fine and dandy
but dont forget those who buy a computer especially from best buy circuit city etc a great percentage have NO CLUE what Linux even is
so that most likely wont happen
and forget trying to get a network connection in ubuntu if your wireless or lan card are microsoft cards
so for many that DEF is gunna turn them off
until linux can gain some kind of percentage and enough people get it out with word of mouth or advertising
but until then its not going to happen
i thought this was a thread for people who liked vista, not some linux fanboys shootin their 2 cents were it is not belonged

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,579,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
My centOS server crashes more than my vista machine. Linux is not all it is touted to be.
Linux can have its issues, that is true, but my problem with Windows is that if I know what the problem is, know how to fix it (can write my own code), I am still at the mercy of MS to fix the problem and release a patch for the system.

We once had an issue with Windows that was a security problem and were told we had to wait another month before the fix was released with the service pack that was coming out shortly. We were pretty much at their mercy.

In another example, we had a Linux server that had a problem with the current kernel concerning our setup. We researched the problem, found the issue and coded in the changes to the kernel, recompiled and we were back up in the same day.

So yes, I agree it has its share of problems, but the problems are not my real issue, its the ability to resolve them.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,579,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
you know that is fine and dandy
but dont forget those who buy a computer especially from best buy circuit city etc a great percentage have NO CLUE what Linux even is
so that most likely wont happen
and forget trying to get a network connection in ubuntu if your wireless or lan card are microsoft cards
so for many that DEF is gunna turn them off
until linux can gain some kind of percentage and enough people get it out with word of mouth or advertising
but until then its not going to happen
i thought this was a thread for people who liked vista, not some linux fanboys shootin their 2 cents were it is not belonged
My intention was not to derail this thread, but the poster I responded to made a very generalized and incorrect claim about why many people dislike Vista.

As for compatibility issues with Linux, many can be resolved by first planning your selection of distributions before you use one. That is, you check the vender HCL's and you read up on the compatible software of the distribution before you download it and install. Linux is merely the kernel, everything up the layers from there is different flavors and distributions and their support will vary from flavor to flavor.

Lastly, I am hardly a "fan boy", I have and do use many different OS's and each one has its strengths and weaknesses depending on its use and implementation. I dislike Vista because it was released too early, it was marketed with strong arm politics and it was poorly supported at the vendor development level by Microsoft.

If you want to talk about the things you like in this thread about Vista, I am not going to come in an sneer at you, but I will comment on incorrect claims about the OS when people make them. If you think I should not, then you might want to lookup the definition of what a "fan boy" really is.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
My intention was not to derail this thread, but the poster I responded to made a very generalized and incorrect claim about why many people dislike Vista.

As for compatibility issues with Linux, many can be resolved by first planning your selection of distributions before you use one. That is, you check the vender HCL's and you read up on the compatible software of the distribution before you download it and install. Linux is merely the kernel, everything up the layers from there is different flavors and distributions and their support will vary from flavor to flavor.

Lastly, I am hardly a "fan boy", I have and do use many different OS's and each one has its strengths and weaknesses depending on its use and implementation. I dislike Vista because it was released too early, it was marketed with strong arm politics and it was poorly supported at the vendor development level by Microsoft.

If you want to talk about the things you like in this thread about Vista, I am not going to come in an sneer at you, but I will comment on incorrect claims about the OS when people make them. If you think I should not, then you might want to lookup the definition of what a "fan boy" really is.
i agree with you on how the vendor support level blew for about a year.
they must have been waiting for MS to just say to B33P with vista lol
haha i can tell u do not use apple do you?
most people who do bash the crap right out of us windows users lol
and i do apologize for getting so defensive

Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 AM

Im back again!
This time i got vista on the machine after using vlite.
So far so good, as i said once before it was great till i tried a game, this time i will not be doing that.
Lol.
I love vista.
Wow.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,577,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
l
haha i can tell u do not use apple do you?
most people who do bash the crap right out of us windows users lol
I am a hardcore Mac addict and I could care less about bashing Windows users. By the way, most people who bash you Windows users are......drumroll please........hardcore Linux users. Read the Mac forums, Linux forums, and Windows forums and you see that Mac users slag Windows the least.

Aside from that......I know many PC users like to hold on to their legacy(?) programs (and no reason not to if they still do the job for you) and that Vista has some problems, but I do not understand why more Windows users are not embracing the idea of Vista. Yeah, if it isn't broke then why fix it, huh? XP works more than fine for most users, but XP is becoming dated, fast. 64-bit, faster processors, new graphic cards and GPU's, and the next generation of programs, etc., etc., are going to make Vista (or Windows 7 and sub sequential releases) the standard OS protocol in the PC world.

Like Vista or not, MS did make the right decision to release it when they did. Vista and its kin are the next step in OS technology, and MS needed something new to rally against OSX and Apple's Switch campaign.

By the way, has there ever been a 1.0 release of any OS that was not riddled with bugs?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
My wife is running Vista x64 on her new laptop. She's been happy with it until....

IE is giving her fits with crashing (I cannot get her to switch to FF) and she has run into some problem with .NET framework that she can't seem to resolve. She does not want me to help so I don't know the specifics. Aside from that we've played Tombraider Underworld on it connected to a 46" LCD HDTV and it's great. That speaks volumes for a laptop running Vista.

BTW, that laptop is now the most powerful PC in the house. Keep in mind what my user name is...

Not too tacky for a laptop.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
For basic use on a machine that can handle it, Vista isn't too much of a problem. For those who do more than that or run custom setups, it is a problem. Vista has core functionality issues that are more of a problem for people who use those features.

The driver fiasco was all MS's problem. Everyone likes to point fingers at the vendors, but the fact is MS's process for driver signing and development was horrid and a complete pain in the rear.

Vista wasn't ready for release. I spoke to my mothers friends two sons who both work for MS and they even said wait for about 2 years before getting it as it has way too many problems and was pushed out the door early.

Can you get Vista working with many things? Sure, with a lot of effort, a lot of tweaking and a lot of frustration, you "may" be able to get most setups to function fine. No guarantee on consistency, but you can work through the issues.

The problem is, if people are going to spend that much time and effort trying to tweak a system to work, they are better off taking that time and effort and applying it to a Linux distribution. Not only do you have full control over the kernel and various subsystems, but you can achieve much better results, reliability, security, and functionality than you would with MS.

So, for those who need an MS system that is reliable, they use XP and either wait for Vista to fix the problems most people don't know about, wait for the new OS release, or don't use it at all.
Amusing. I was not a fan of Vista when it was first released. The decision had nothing to do with Vista, but rather MS and their wicked ways.

When I finally gave in because my clients were starting to buy PC's with it installed I pulled out an old PC with a Leadtek MB that was built in, I think, either 2001 or 2002. Added some RAM to 2GB and loaded Vista Ultimate. I had to tweak 2 things: The built-in NIC wouldn't work and the graphics card because I wanted to use Aero. The built-in graphics just didn't have the get up and go for it. A cheap NIC card fixed the other.

Other than that everything ran just fine in Vista Ultimate.

I stopped bitching about Vista....

Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,476,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My wife is running Vista x64 on her new laptop. She's been happy with it until....

IE is giving her fits with crashing (I cannot get her to switch to FF) and she has run into some problem with .NET framework that she can't seem to resolve. She does not want me to help so I don't know the specifics. Aside from that we've played Tombraider Underworld on it connected to a 46" LCD HDTV and it's great. That speaks volumes for a laptop running Vista.

BTW, that laptop is now the most powerful PC in the house. Keep in mind what my user name is...

Not too tacky for a laptop.
Is she using IE7 or IE8? I've been trying IE8 (Beta 2) and it crashes once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers