Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 PM

119 posts, read 865,363 times

Advertisements

I found two trojan viruses, wextract.exe, that were quarantined. I turned off system restore, rebooted to safe mode, rescanned and nothing else was found.

A couple weeks ago the internet explorer icon had a different name below it. I changed it back to "internet explorer." Yesterday, the icon said "k" below it.

I have netzero dialup at the moment, and don't know if that is less secure. I don't understand why anyone would be messing with me as I am not rich. I am currently unemployed and share my home with a relative who is helping me out until I find other work.

Should I perform a clean install?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Nobody is messing with you specifically. You (or your relative) clicked on something naughty and have infected your system with spyware. A clean install is always best in these cases because once you're infected, there's no way to prove the system is clean. If you want to try cleaning it without reformatting, I suggest the following free programs:

AVG Antivirus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Ad-Aware 2008
Spybot Search and Destroy

Some of these programs are pretty big downloads for a dialup connection so if you have access to broadband somewhere, I suggest downloading them there and bringing them home on a flash drive.

The probem with spyware is that it advances faster that the good guys can adapt so there's no one program that gets everything. Depending on the speed of your computer and number of files on it, each program can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes to complete a scan.

In the future, make sure Windows is up to date, difficult on a dialup connection, but it has to be done and use a non-Microsoft web browser such as Mozilla Firefox.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM

119 posts, read 865,363 times
Thank you, EscapeCalifornia. I will reinstall.

Would you also know if v11.MSN.com is a rogue site? I typed in the url MSN.com, and I am often direct to the v11 site.

Thank you.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,663,359 times
You also need to be absolutely sure your virus scan is always on and updated daily. Trojan virus suggests one kind of problem that can be solved. Just remove the trojans and go on. Why would you do a clean install?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Clean install? What?? I do this for a living and never do a clean install. It simply isn't necessary.

On the other hand with a dial up connection it's probably faster!

Do remember to back up things you need. Documents email, etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Clean install? What?? I do this for a living and never do a clean install. It simply isn't necessary.
So how do you guarantee a system is clean once its been infected?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So how do you guarantee a system is clean once its been infected?
Once it's clean, delete the Quarantine folder and scan the entire hard disk again. When the scan comes up empty, you're done. Remember, the virus scan you're using recognized the problem and dealt with it the first time around. Why would it not find it the second?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

On the other hand with a dial up connection it's probably faster!

Do remember to back up things you need. Documents email, etc.
I do too. I only install Windows on a blank hard disk to create an image for use in cloning onto identical machines. Certainly not necessary to swat a bug.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Once it's clean, delete the Quarantine folder and scan the entire hard disk again. When the scan comes up empty, you're done. Remember, the virus scan you're using recognized the problem and dealt with it the first time around. Why would it not find it the second?
And what about the ones it doesn't know about? I deal with malware all the time too and there's nothing more fun than running three different scanners against it, booting to a CD and removing a few more manually, then launching Firefox after the system is "clean" and having it it redirect every third click to some malicious search page.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,743 times
Default google chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Nobody is messing with you specifically. You (or your relative) clicked on something naughty and have infected your system with spyware. A clean install is always best in these cases because once you're infected, there's no way to prove the system is clean. If you want to try cleaning it without reformatting, I suggest the following free programs:

AVG Antivirus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Ad-Aware 2008
Spybot Search and Destroy

Some of these programs are pretty big downloads for a dialup connection so if you have access to broadband somewhere, I suggest downloading them there and bringing them home on a flash drive.

The probem with spyware is that it advances faster that the good guys can adapt so there's no one program that gets everything. Depending on the speed of your computer and number of files on it, each program can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes to complete a scan.

In the future, make sure Windows is up to date, difficult on a dialup connection, but it has to be done and use a non-Microsoft web browser such as Mozilla Firefox.
Is google chrome safer than explorer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers