U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

188,640 posts, read 77,809,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Yeah, not so much the gaming but graphic arts and music. I cut, edit (etc.) music, do numerous graphics projects as stand alone and/or combined.
That being the case regardless of brand you choose, look to make sure you can add and additional scratch drive. If not a high speed internal then at least an external eSATA. I use Corel Painter, CorelDraw, and Photoshop. These as well as others rely on scratch drives for performance. Single drives are a real bottleneck. Having a high performance processor with 4GB of ram watching an hourglass waiting on disk read/writes would be a real pain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,205,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
That being the case regardless of brand you choose, look to make sure you can add and additional scratch drive. If not a high speed internal then at least an external eSATA. I use Corel Painter, CorelDraw, and Photoshop. These as well as others rely on scratch drives for performance. Single drives are a real bottleneck. Having a high performance processor with 4GB of ram watching an hourglass waiting on disk read/writes would be a real pain...
Would a partitioned hard drive help speed things up?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Would a partitioned hard drive help speed things up?

None at all. You are still making one hard drive head do all the work. Logical drives do not help with scratch. Only physical drives using multiple writing heads to the trick. If you have very large files even 2 drives set up as a RAID 0 array will help even more. I would search the homepage of my software vendor to see what is suggested. You may can Google your software name followed by the keyword "performance" and get helpful info. Just and idea.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
None at all. You are still making one hard drive head do all the work. Logical drives do not help with scratch. Only physical drives using multiple writing heads to the trick. If you have very large files even 2 drives set up as a RAID 0 array will help even more. I would search the homepage of my software vendor to see what is suggested. You may can Google your software name followed by the keyword "performance" and get helpful info. Just and idea.
Thank you spmuch, I really appreciate this. rep2ya

Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 PM

I have not been to the Dell site in a while. At one time they built a graphics workstation and would let you do some degree of customizing. They were pricey. You make want to look into have a local reputable builder assemble one for you to the specs you need. Unless you are dealing with extremely large files then a basic model like you first described with one fast scratch drive will suffice. Enjoy your new toy. Let us know how you come out when you are up and running.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I have not been to the Dell site in a while. At one time they built a graphics workstation and would let you do some degree of customizing. They were pricey. You make want to look into have a local reputable builder assemble one for you to the specs you need. Unless you are dealing with extremely large files then a basic model like you first described with one fast scratch drive will suffice. Enjoy your new toy. Let us know how you come out when you are up and running.
Are systemax PC's any good

Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Are systemax PC's any good
Sorry, no knowledge of the brand.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
Quote:
Yeah, not so much the gaming but graphic arts and music. I cut, edit (etc.) music, do numerous graphics projects as stand alone and/or combined.
Silly question makossa, but why not a Macintosh instead of a PC?

I'm in a shop that employs graphic artists who use PCs (company requirement) and to a person they'd all rather be using Macs.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,837,655 times
As has been already suggested - build one or have one built for you.

Yes, it may cost more but very worth it IMO.

With buying a Dell, HP, etc.... Nothing like getting frustrated when if you wanna upgrade but cannot or have to replace a part that's proprietary and have to be at the mercy of the computer manufacturer for the part that will cost more and have to await shipment of it to boot.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
I’m looking to purchase a new PC with quad processors and a minimum of 4gb memory.
Which manufacturer in terms of quality and reliability would you recommend?
HP
Compaq
Dell
Gateway
E Machines
Acer…………………..etc.
I really would appreciate all the advise I can get and any information on why, why not, etc.
Thank You
I've had problems working on HP, Compaq, Gateway and eMachines. I like Dell computers best. eMachines are cheaply built. Gateway and Coompaq often make things proprietary that don't need to be. Never worked on an Acer machine. Don't particularly like Lenovo. Way too many proprietary drivers.

Whatever you buy, make sure it will use all the memory and processor you get in it. You might even want to double check your software to make sure it will make full use of the processor and RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or